Buying Travel Insurance In Uk

lifemagic

I just spent 16 months in SEA. I had a Thai non'o' from Hull (visit friends) but spent quite a bit of time traveling outside Thailand. Now I've been in UK 2 months. I want to return to the region for 10 months, without settled purpose, probably see the Far East this time. I've got a single entry tourist visa in my British Passport to start me off this time.

I've been looking at insurance at www.moneysupermarket.com. 10 months exc. usa starts at 100, but they all have the requirement of having been 'within the UK for at least six months out of the last twelve'. I've trawled through all the terms and conditions now list the following companies that just require 'British resident', together with prices:

Barclays 'extended trip' policy. 265.00

AA 209.00

Downunder UK 256.00

That's all I can find. Of course, would they consider me resident? I know world nomads will always accept me, but that's so expensive. Anybody (British) in a similar situation with a satisfactory solution, would be great to know.

Thanks.

I had a Columbus Backpacker policy a couple of years ago in which I (UK citizen) gave my country of residence as Thailand. That covered me outside LOS (visa border runs) and even for brief trips to Europe/UK. The policy states:

"COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE - The country where YOU are permanently residing at the date of issue

of the Schedule, or where YOU are temporarily residing for a period of more than three months and to

where YOU will be repatriated if medically necessary." [my bold in there]

Sounds like you are close to that three month requirement by the time you leave.

Best bet is to email companies with the exact details and see what they propose, rather than try to (mis)interpret their small print.

Yeah, you're right. I've been working on this all day. I phoned Barclays earlier. Their T&C doesn't state it, but she said you need to have been resident six months out of the last twelve.

However, all is not (completely) lost.

World Nomads will do 10 months at 364.68. That's too much really, but the T&C say you can even be resident/living outside of the UK.

Two other options I've uncovered.

Bupa, the site says: 'We are able to insure most people who are not resident in or travelling from the UK under out international travel insurance policy. ' No idea how that will pan out but there's a freephone no. so I'll try later.

Most promising: www.duinsure.com. It seems a bit too good to be true, so watch this space. 10 months would be 171.00. They have a UK PO box number and are fsa regulated, with an Irish underwriter. The website says, 'As long as you are temporarily residing in the UK at the time of purchace, you are elibable to purchase our travel insurance to travel to just about anywhere on the planet and to any final desitnation (regardless of having either no intention of returning here OR NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHEN THAT ACTUAL RETURN MIGHT BE.

So, sounds perfect. I have an email address and London number ... so I'll get on it and let TV know when I've got the dirt.

Hi - i was looking for long term insurance in 2006 and settled on DUINSURE (through lack of choice more than anything). I had reason to make a claim and it was in the end settled. It was a stressful process but not their fault on reflection and I imagine the same would have happened with any insurance company. Essentially they required access to my medical history to determine that the condition was something that arose whilst travelling rather than a medical tourism style scam. My GP refused to cooperate until I used the data protection act to get him to release my medical notes and DUINSURE weren't going to budge until they saw them. This was a difficult thing to organise whilst travelling! Once they saw my notes they paid all the medical expenses and lost travel tickets/hotels etc that resulted from me having an operation rather than travelling. I will use them again....

Hi - i was looking for long term insurance in 2006 and settled on DUINSURE (through lack of choice more than anything). I had reason to make a claim and it was in the end settled. It was a stressful process but not their fault on reflection and I imagine the same would have happened with any insurance company. Essentially they required access to my medical history to determine that the condition was something that arose whilst travelling rather than a medical tourism style scam. My GP refused to cooperate until I used the data protection act to get him to release my medical notes and DUINSURE weren't going to budge until they saw them. This was a difficult thing to organise whilst travelling! Once they saw my notes they paid all the medical expenses and lost travel tickets/hotels etc that resulted from me having an operation rather than travelling. I will use them again....

To the OP - I do NOT know if they can help in your specific case but have you tried Insure & Go ?

They have a variety of possibilties on their site - I use them for my SE Asia trips although I am UK resident. You can but try - Good Luck :rolleyes:

Amother very good option is Worldwede Insure (worldwideinsure.com) who cover for differing periods of time up to a maximum of 18 months if you are under 50. They offer a couple of different levels of cover but base on what you were saying you may find them a bit expensive. The price pretty much doubles when you get over 50 for a 12 mobnth long stay but I could not find anything comparable.

As I am about to renew I will have a look at DUINSURE so thanks for the tip.

Hi i have a 7 month + policy with Columbus direct, as stated they have a three month uk residency period, i am 56 and declared high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, the premium was £289 but I used quidco and received £50.00 cash back which made the insurance £1.00 per day'ish. I have had reason to claim for a hospital stay, and found them to be very helpful, they settled the hospital bill 73,000baht on my discharge, with only a few days notice. they did require a copy of my itinerary, i send a copy of my emirates booking which included a return ticket.

• 5 weeks later...

In the past I have used Atlasdirect and found them to have a good price structure, various options, however, now I am 65 and live in Thailand for 10 months of the year and I am finding it difficult to obtain travel Insurance,yes, its the resident issue. The words vary from company to company but are I think open to interpretation and ambigous. I suspect that I think I am covered and the company will disagree. So I have a house in the UK, bank accounts there, pay taxes there but spend most of my time here so I am a resident of where?

If the answer is not the UK then I will need to get travel Insurance to cover flights and and onward travel only and then face the medical emergency issue seperately, well any thoughts for me too now I guess.

In the past I have used Atlasdirect and found them to have a good price structure, various options, however, now I am 65 and live in Thailand for 10 months of the year and I am finding it difficult to obtain travel Insurance,yes, its the resident issue. The words vary from company to company but are I think open to interpretation and ambigous. I suspect that I think I am covered and the company will disagree. So I have a house in the UK, bank accounts there, pay taxes there but spend most of my time here so I am a resident of where?

If the answer is not the UK then I will need to get travel Insurance to cover flights and and onward travel only and then face the medical emergency issue seperately, well any thoughts for me too now I guess.

Well you are certainly not a UK resident if you live here most of the year so why not buy travel insurance for 'each way' if you wish to cover your flights/lost bagage etc and an annual medical policy for Thailand ?

I have emailed a friend who runs the Insuance business for a well known UK company asking for an Insurers view of my status. It may well be that be that what joepai is suggesting is what I will have to do, however, this produces another question! Sorting out some form medical care here I can look at and evaluate but do you or anybody know of any insurers who promote flight and onward travel only? So cover say 1 week on the way out and one week on the way back, allowing for flight cancellation and onward travel of a day or so in each direction. I have not come across this type of travel requirement and yet I would think it would be popular.

I have recieved an email from my friend re the residency issue, he is going to look into this and hopefully give an insurers definitive answer next week. HMRC like to think I am a UK resident because they want my money.

As promised I have the information about long stay travel Insurance which hinges on whether or not you are a UK resident.

I have been in touch with a friend who runs John Lewis Insurance in the Uk, he has contacted AXA for their view on this situation and the view is that you will not be classed as a UK resident. Other insurers may take a different view, but why would they? The words are sometimes written in such a way that it can be interpreted 2 ways. Seek clarification and get the name of the person if they tell you are covered. Whether you are looking for Long stay or Backpacker dont assume you are viewed as a UK resident, ask the question directly

• Like 1

As promised I have the information about long stay travel Insurance which hinges on whether or not you are a UK resident.

I have been in touch with a friend who runs John Lewis Insurance in the Uk, he has contacted AXA for their view on this situation and the view is that you will not be classed as a UK resident. Other insurers may take a different view, but why would they? The words are sometimes written in such a way that it can be interpreted 2 ways. Seek clarification and get the name of the person if they tell you are covered. Whether you are looking for Long stay or Backpacker dont assume you are viewed as a UK resident, ask the question directly

How can you think you are a resident of a country when you spend most of the time out of it !

How can you think you are a resident of a country when you spend most of the time out of it !

The question is put in such a way, that many will interpret it like this. I was born in that country, I have lived there for X years, I have a house there, bank accounts, pay taxes there and then just because I decide to have a jaunt away from that country for a year or two will not change things. Still got the original passport, not taking out another nationality/citizenship. You are right but I suspect a lot see it differently and the only time they will know their new status is when they try to claim off the insurance.

I would think that a lot of people who currently have travel insurance for a long period of time will find that they may not be covered because of this residency situation. It looks to me like the time criteria is that must have resided in the country for 3 months prior to taking out travel insurance and on having a look today that looks like its even on flight only cover as well. Wait 3 months or dont insure and take pot luck? If you are over 60 dont assume you can get medical insurance when you get here, not that simple, you almost certainly would have to have a medical and even then the policies dont look up to much, they may only pay out a fixed amount towards your expenses. Also most will kop out at 80 anyway so if you are still on the move then you will have the same problem coming back to revisit you. Not the best of news but at least now we know the definitive position we can all make a judgment of how to handle things from now on.