New Vip Bus Engines

wandrinstar

Who makes these new Big Diesels.?. Waiting at the Bus Terminal today someone fired up a New Vigo, sounded like someone dumped a Bag of Spanners in a Food Blender. Not as bad as a Chevy , but bloody awful. Then this New VIP fired up it was just like a V12 Jag..., surprised me greatly. It just purred. Oh for a Mini version of that engine in a Pick Up... VOLVO made perhaps.?.

several suppliers, Volvo, Scania, Nissan, and Benz being the most popular in Thailand.

I know Volvo just passed on the 4300 new CNG busses to be delivered in BKK, as the buyer wanted 10 years maintance contract, but Volvo was not allowed to decide who to supply CNG system and other parts

as they have all moved into commornrail with pilotinjection, its a cleaner, more quiet and more powerfull world and using less fuel :)

edit

forgot HINO above

Good info. I've given up Spot the Cruise on my Wanderings , there aint non.. So its Spot the Cool Coach . If you listen the Gearboxes they sound like ZF , super changes. Perhaps ill get a Bus instead of a City one day. I think it was a Scania that fired up, No Company name on it.jap.gif

Mercedes Benz make a whole range of diesels for buses and trucks v 6's about 210 hp through to v8's up to 600 hp .

All that I have heard , sound real sweet. I have just spent driving a 500 hp v8 merc actros truck , smooooth and very powerful , a delight to drive .

:D

Your reply begs a Question. How can they compete with Nissan on Price.?. You defend Benz / BMW costing so much despite being stuck together here with cheap labour , citing correctly , unfair competition reasons. So Pray Tell , why buy a Benz Engine for a Bus when Nissan must be much cheaper, and are as good are their Good Value Cars and Trucks.jap.gif .

Many of the VIP buses and normal [many more seats but older] are Deawoo and they have the Mercedes Benz engines. Only been on the VIP new ones very quite

Yes Ignis , but Daewoo before the Yanks started messing about made sound basic stuff themselves with their own clonker motor. So why re fit it with Benz .? Surely a Nissan is cheaper. Strange topic if you think about it............ If a Honda fitted you Transport Requirements when the Mitsu Motor Failed , why buy a Benz Replacement. ?.. No you would drop a Honda in and save money. jap.gif

Yes there are many odd things in bodies and engine, years ago now The French Military had 100's of MERCEDES BENZ G-CLASS, but fitted with a Peugeot engine.. No idea if the new ones are the same but SSANGYONG always used MERCEDES BENZ engines..

Many other makes and models I also often wondered why they used another make engine and why one over another, Contracts ? money under the table or sweetener on a big deal...

OP, perhaps the vigo was cold, now, again not familiar with vigo start-up, does it have a pre-heat or just turn key and start?in the case of turn and start the injector pump will deliver excess fuel at starter RPM and wil give the diesel knock noise for a few seconds, whereas the pre-heat method,thats it, engine starts smoothly.

Bus engines, well, normally they come as a rolling chassis, from Merc,Volvo,Scania whoever,,, and the locals build the body on ect, perhaps they dont want to badge it up, who knows??

Around here, the evening 6.30pm BKK bound bus [leaves at 6.15pm] is running at a stand still for many hours to make sure the inside is freezing and that passengers use the blankets and ear plugs against the cold and on-board karaoke,

I think you will find many bus stations dont allow buses to have there engine running because of the fumes, so the engine was probaly hot when it started after running a few hours out of the station somewhere,

Sounds like the OP has ALWAYS something against a Toyota diesel ;), don't know why as it is a very quiet motor when you ride INSIDE and not listen at the kerb whilst sitting on your Click. :rolleyes:

No i dont , they are all too noisey thats why i wouldn't entertain any reasonably priced ones on sale here. The Toyo was cold, but it made me jump. Back to VIPs there must be some dark forces at work in the Import Tax area or they would cost more than Maybarchs dont you think.. My Kids School had a Mid Sized Scania that took off like a rocket when empty , again Air Ride suspension , soft ride.Some are bought in Ready Made , and ready to run im told. The cost must be horrific , if its taxed at car levels. Who uses MAN Diesels these days, anyone know...coffee1.gif

Strange topic if you think about it............ If a Honda fitted you Transport Requirements when the Mitsu Motor Failed , why buy a Benz Replacement. ?.. No you would drop a Honda in and save money. jap.gif

If you're comapring a Honda Accord to a Benz C-Class, the extra you pay (tax notwithstanding) is for something tangible - i.e. you're not actually comparing apples with apples. There's a real difference in materials, engineering and manufacturing costs.

However, when you compare a big Benz diesel engine to a UD (Volvo, formerly Nissan), Scania (VW), Hino (Toyota) etc etc you are now comparing the same basic thing - i.e. the Benz has no more engineering, materials or manufacturing costs in it than the UD does.. So when you're talking truck & bus engines, prices for similar spec engines are, well, similar...

Strange topic if you think about it............ If a Honda fitted you Transport Requirements when the Mitsu Motor Failed , why buy a Benz Replacement. ?.. No you would drop a Honda in and save money. jap.gif

If you're comapring a Honda Accord to a Benz C-Class, the extra you pay (tax notwithstanding) is for something tangible - i.e. you're not actually comparing apples with apples. There's a real difference in materials, engineering and manufacturing costs.

However, when you compare a big Benz diesel engine to a UD (Volvo, formerly Nissan), Scania (VW), Hino (Toyota) etc etc you are now comparing the same basic thing - i.e. the Benz has no more engineering, materials or manufacturing costs in it than the UD does.. So when you're talking truck & bus engines, prices for similar spec engines are, well, similar...

yep, a 10 liter V10 Nissan chassie made in Japan is no cheaper than a 10 liter V10 Benz chassie made in EU, supposing they are within similar output and airsuspension spec

HINO and Daewoo can still deliver at less price in Asia, but low spec EuroII as this is still legal here

and Vigo is still the most quiet and refined TH/japs pickup diesel available, for at least a week or so until chev and ford have their new Italian VM Motori designs delivered to customers

as for importduty and taxes, none for busses above 10 seats

Sounds like the OP has ALWAYS something against a Toyota diesel ;), don't know why as it is a very quiet motor when you ride INSIDE and not listen at the kerb whilst sitting on your Click. :rolleyes:

No i dont , they are all too noisey thats why i wouldn't entertain any reasonably priced ones on sale here. The Toyo was cold, but it made me jump. Back to VIPs there must be some dark forces at work in the Import Tax area or they would cost more than Maybarchs dont you think.. My Kids School had a Mid Sized Scania that took off like a rocket when empty , again Air Ride suspension , soft ride.Some are bought in Ready Made , and ready to run im told. The cost must be horrific , if its taxed at car levels. Who uses MAN Diesels these days, anyone know...coffee1.gif

MAN is still popular in boats from 600hp upwards, and of course in MAN trucks. But they are pricey, a 660hp Caterpillar costs 70% of similar MAN, and lifetime is same

the major EU/UK players in boating have diesel preferences as follows.

Volvo 200-500hp

CAT 400-1000hp

MTU (Benz)-800 upwards

Yanmar is growing, mainly based on Toyota engines

Mercruiser supplied by many, IZU, VM Motori and Ford/International Harvester

and Vigo is still the most quiet and refined TH/japs pickup diesel available, for at least a week or so until chev and ford have their new Italian VM Motori designs delivered to customers

Well Chevy is VM Motori, but the Ford engines are a JV with PSA Group ;)

so Ranger has same engine supplier as present Range Rover and Jaguar diesel :D

Perhaps they put more Sawdust in the R.R...These Thai Oilers are like Chalk on a Blackboard to my ears. I've had enough ribbing for not having the Petrol , nice as it is ill never have another Diesel . Even a BM. They dont feel right ,i like a hi rev band, bugger the Economy, and the Tree Shaggers.. Perhaps second hand VIPS could catch on for the Lotus Run Lot. Just think an extra 80 Villagers.biggrin.gif

Perhaps they put more Sawdust in the R.R...These Thai Oilers are like Chalk on a Blackboard to my ears. I've had enough ribbing for not having the Petrol , nice as it is ill never have another Diesel . Even a BM. They dont feel right ,i like a hi rev band, bugger the Economy, and the Tree Shaggers.. Perhaps second hand VIPS could catch on for the Lotus Run Lot. Just think an extra 80 Villagers.biggrin.gif

Please, please translate :rolleyes:

I saw the most immaculate Black Trans Am.yesterday. That is a Dream Ride i admire. He could have my Workhorse with pleasure. Perhaps one day some hope to see F1 Engined Diesel Red Bulls but im not one.!!.. Reality will soon see me in a City, or Mitsu G.T. but never an oiler again. I wait for ages at the Pumps whilst Farmers fill the Truck , and 45 Gall Oil drums.Sawdust is used to silence Nackered Engines .biggrin.gif

Supplying high end cars with diesels takes refinement. Bosch commonrail last gen and thousands of hours tuning and adjusting to be powerfull and superquiet. for an oilburner

in a truck or van (transit) at 15-25% of the price, no money to do so

Interesting info KBB. Never realised that.. Since my youth with tuned Fords, ive only had V8 / V12s.and am out of touch. Those Old Thumpers go on forever without a prob looked after as required.. Went to look at the Volvo , they only sell BMW now, i like to see whats new. The Almeira would be nice with a bigger lump. Yet to hear a Bad Word from Proton owners here. Just Bad Mouth hearsay from twits who ride Mopeds.jap.gif

Interesting info KBB. Never realised that.. Since my youth with tuned Fords, ive only had V8 / V12s.and am out of touch. Those Old Thumpers go on forever without a prob looked after as required.. Went to look at the Volvo , they only sell BMW now, i like to see whats new. The Almeira would be nice with a bigger lump. Yet to hear a Bad Word from Proton owners here. Just Bad Mouth hearsay from twits who ride Mopeds.jap.gif

have had a bunch of V8 myself, and a few V10s. but fact is ford rangers 3,2 inline 5 has the same hp (260) as a 360 Magnum (5,9 liter), double the torque and use half the fuel.

then I can live with some clattering while cold :)

Cant even recall seeing a V10 anything. Mind you , i asked my friend yesterday what Engine was in his new Benz M Class. He had no idea.. He gets driven around, Some Guys have all the Luck. Ask him about Ducati and you cant shut him up. Hes got a Thing about Metzler Tires, i think he sleeps with one.cheesy.gif

Cant even recall seeing a V10 anything. Mind you , i asked my friend yesterday what Engine was in his new Benz M Class. He had no idea.. He gets driven around, Some Guys have all the Luck. Ask him about Ducati and you cant shut him up. Hes got a Thing about Metzler Tires, i think he sleeps with one.cheesy.gif

worlds largest passenger mass produced vehicle, Ford Excursion 6,8 liter V10. used to have a 2000, 7 seats suv, red metallic with cream interior, only 300hp but went like a train. 3km/liter

and the most famous one, 8,0liter V10 Dodge. Viper sportscar. Ram pickup, used to have the latter one, 550hp in a pickup :P

Benz M, also called Alabama benz. smallest one was a 4 pot 2300cc approx 135hp, M 230E

most common in TH presently is a 3,0 diesel

and metzler tyres are crap. german bikers love them, but honestly Pirelli, Bridgestone and even some Dunlops are better

worlds largest passenger mass produced vehicle, Ford Excursion 6,8 liter V10. used to have a 2000, 7 seats suv, red metallic with cream interior, only 300hp but went like a train. 3km/liter

and the most famous one, 8,0liter V10 Dodge. Viper sportscar. Ram pickup, used to have the latter one, 550hp in a pickup :P

Benz M, also called Alabama benz. smallest one was a 4 pot 2300cc approx 135hp, M 230E

and metzler tyres are crap. german bikers love them, but honestly Pirelli, Bridgestone and even some Dunlops are better

Yes he is a 2 Niller, hence the Benz and the Metzler. Finest in Zee Rain were told weekly, but we all just yawn now. As for yanks ive only had a Citation, {Chevy Cruze biggrin.gif} and a Rented Trans Am from Budget. on a one year term. Didnt have the Viper in those daysannoyed.gif

VW Touareg had a 5.0L Diesel V10 option up until last year too.. :)

Dodge Viper was the first car I ever hit the 300 KM/H mark in, so special to me in that way, but boy was it a piece of crap otherwise :D

Dodge Viper was the first car I ever hit the 300 KM/H mark in, so special to me in that way, but boy was it a piece of crap otherwise :D

So the Viper has a lot in common with the M.Class..Just driven it..cheesy.gif

So the Viper has a lot in common with the M.Class..Just driven it..cheesy.gif

its just an ordinary suv, developed for US and initially only manufactored in Alabama, thus the Alabam benz name reflecting both design and manufactoring quality. later also manufactored by puch in austria. on par with Craptiva :)

we used to import them prior to EU manufactoring, and yeeez we spendt time explaining this is not benz quality, just name. Later as they became popular in europe, quality had to improve