Used Tuk-Tuk For Sale?

Grawburg

Looking to buy a used tuk tuk to take back to USA for a fun ride around the neighborhood. I don't want a new one. I want one with charm.....one that's been around the streets of bkk. Anyone know where I can get one...are there used tuk tuk shops or should I just offer money to a driver to take his?

I believe most TTs are rented/leased. If you cruise around the suburbs you occasionally see garages where they get fixed (I wouldn't go so far as say maintained...) and pimped up.

Best thing is to ask at the local TT stand. Hire a 'translator' for the day from a bar like the Beergarden Soi7.

Good luck getting it up to US environmental standards and insured... biggrin.gif

Edited by phaethon

Why go to all the hassle of shipping etc, buy one in the USA already certified etc

http://www.tuktuknorthamerica.com/models2.html

yes-listen to him-to your utter surprise there may be quite stringent rules on importing these things-certainly if you happen to live in some state that takes emissions stringent. Even if you succeed in importing-riding on them may turn out to be that most dreadful of things feared by USAers; unlawful.

In fact the Thai also very well know that and seem not too friendly in selling even scrapped ones to those unsuspecting farang. Some clusters of the garages mentioned: just north of thw WongWienYai traffic cirle-toward sapan Phut, east side, and just north of Sukhothai rd, close by SamSen station. Or; daft easy (even need to think?) ask ANY local friendly tukx2 driver and get him that magic 10 bt fare----via 123 tailors, 234 gemtstone real cutters- 345 TAT licensed tr-agents etc.

I believe most TTs are rented/leased. If you cruise around the suburbs you occasionally see garages where they get fixed (I wouldn't go so far as say maintained...) and pimped up.

Best thing is to ask at the local TT stand. Hire a 'translator' for the day from a bar like the Beergarden Soi7.

Good luck getting it up to US environmental standards and insured... biggrin.gif

Is that what your life is here in Thailand? The first piece of information sounded fine only then to taken with a pinch of salt by the second sentence "Hire a 'translator' for the day from a bar like the Beergarden Soi7." Anyone want a managing director or business adviser for their new business? This bar has them all!!! Undoubtedly some of the bar girls/boys are also CEO's of tuk-tuk manufacturing companies just give them your money! For some people the old piece of advice really is true - how to make a small fortune in Thailand? Come here with a large one!

An Australian had the brilliant idea of taking some highly objectionable tuk tuks back to Australia years ago but hit a brick wall due to compliance headaches(massive no doubt). i think you will find that variations of tuk tuks can be made in your home country with local design rules taken into consideration. BKK tuk tuks would be totally unroadworthy elsewhere.

I believe I once read that the Thai government doesn't issue new Tuk Tuk registrations. They just keep fixing the old ones even if it means building a brand new one built around the old VIN ID plate. Bottom line is the number of tuk tuks cannot grow in Thailand. So, my guess is that a used one would actually be more to buy here than buying one in the US. Especially when you consider all the taxes, shipping and registration.

Don't worry, buy one in the US and don't garage it and instead leave it outside in the rain and sun. You could even throw some salt on it to get some rust going. Soon it will look like sh@t as it seems you want.

I believe I once read that the Thai government doesn't issue new Tuk Tuk registrations. They just keep fixing the old ones even if it means building a brand new one built around the old VIN ID plate. Bottom line is the number of tuk tuks cannot grow in Thailand. So, my guess is that a used one would actually be more to buy here than buying one in the US. Especially when you consider all the taxes, shipping and registration.

Don't worry, buy one in the US and don't garage it and instead leave it outside in the rain and sun. You could even throw some salt on it to get some rust going. Soon it will look like sh@t as it seems you want.

Nonsense.

There are a number of shops in Udon, for example, building new Skylab-type tuk-tuks for sale. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some farang in one.

What you probably are referring to is the limit on the number of tuk-tuks for hire.

I can relate to the OPs desire for an original-type Bangkok tuk-tuk, as opposed to the ones available in the US (which are electric-powered), or some of the new ones being built around small car powertrains: the old 2-stroke ones were much faster, and more fun to drive. However, I can also relate to those who counsel against trying to import one to the US, due to the impossibility of getting it registered in MOST jurisdictions. Importing it as an antique MAY have some possibilities, however.

Amazing how so many un-knowledgeable people react with scorn to this guys request. So childish, and yet so old-woman-like...

Nonsense.

There are a number of shops in Udon, for example, building new Skylab-type tuk-tuks for sale. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some farang in one.

What you probably are referring to is the limit on the number of tuk-tuks for hire.

I can relate to the OPs desire for an original-type Bangkok tuk-tuk, as opposed to the ones available in the US (which are electric-powered), or some of the new ones being built around small car powertrains: the old 2-stroke ones were much faster, and more fun to drive. However, I can also relate to those who counsel against trying to import one to the US, due to the impossibility of getting it registered in MOST jurisdictions. Importing it as an antique MAY have some possibilities, however.

Amazing how so many un-knowledgeable people react with scorn to this guys request. So childish, and yet so old-woman-like...

Nobody seems to reacting with scorn except maybe you at other posters. Some of us are just trying to pass on information.

the Thai government will not register any new tuk-tuks
for private use, export orders, along with larger variants used by hotels, resorts and shopping malls...

Read more:

There are MANY types of Tuk Tuks throughout Thailand and the OP didn't even specify the type he wanted but simply says he wants a worn one.

Edit:

Also see: http://www.thailand-...l-success/3780/

the Thai government won't register any new tuk-tuks for private or taxi use, foreign orders....

Edited by Nisa

Tried to get some 2 stroke bicycle engines into the USA- just a few as trade samples. They were tiny- the size of weed-eater engines and they got stopped at customs. You can call it whatever you want, but it's the guys at customs that decide how to classify it, whether to let it in or not, and how much import duty must be paid (according to their estimate of its value and how they classified it). Good luck, but be ready for some disappointment.

Thanks for all of the info....as I said - I can get it to the US for free and without any license or import problems....that's not the issue. It's a souvenir so I don't need to register it in my county of residence.

I just need to get one....a guy at my office said it would cost $5,000 if I could find a used on. I'm tempted to just walk up to one I like and hand the guy cash and drive off to the storage warehouse and lock it up until time to move in a year. He can buy a new one or report it stolen - I don't care what he does, but I'm betting this is the easiest way for me.

Thanks for all of the info....as I said - I can get it to the US for free and without any license or import problems....that's not the issue. It's a souvenir so I don't need to register it in my county of residence.

I just need to get one....a guy at my office said it would cost $5,000 if I could find a used on. I'm tempted to just walk up to one I like and hand the guy cash and drive off to the storage warehouse and lock it up until time to move in a year. He can buy a new one or report it stolen - I don't care what he does, but I'm betting this is the easiest way for me.

As long as you don't try this in Bangkok it may work. As posted above it is impossible to register new ones, so the old ones are extremely valuable. $5K for a street legal tuk tuk in Bangkok is well below its market value.

lol no. That's not how it works.

If you are somehow able to smuggle it in while bypassing customs, then you might as well smuggle in something worthwhile.

I don't think Grawburg is nuts. I looked at buying one about10 years ago to ship to Australia, to use just to drive to work, 8 Kms and not a lot of traffic on the country road. I think from memory that the cost was something less than A$6000 at that time.

The problem I encountered was compliance with the emissions legislation, and the info I was given was that it didn't matter whether I intended registering or not, it had to comply. I may, for example, intend driving it around my farm, and the legislation applied to the vehicle, not its intended use, so I couldn't get it in at any price. The situation in the US may be quite different.

I also looked at importing a Honda Sonic, the sporty 125 cc motorcycle made in Thailand, but encountered the same problem, compliance. The local Honda dealers couldn't import them either because of non compliance with emissions legislation.

I'm fairly confident the vehicle would have to be more than 25-years old to not require DOT or EPA certification if importing to the US regardless of what you want to tell customs such as it not being driven or it is a "souvenir".

Funny, my dad and I had this conversation with a tuk-tuk driver a few months ago. When we asked about buying a tuk-tuk, he immediately offered us his for B400,000, his opening gambit. I'm assuming we could have bargained him down had we been serious about buying, but he made it clear that he would have taken the cash, handed us the keys and walked away.

I remember walking past the shopfront in Udon that had rows of these beautiful new ones. I couldn't help thinking... if only... :rolleyes:

If only what? Not that expensive. With 125cc single cyl Lifan engine price start below 60.000B. If you want the second hand car engineered, another 20-25 grand. There are also 150 and 200cc engines available. And choice of smaller rear wheels, shaft drive with or without reverse and with chain drive. Two factories in Udon, APN and APT, closely located. One a bit cheaper than the other. Not cheaper quality.

I want to buy one for MIL when I have the cash.

Just build your own, how hard can it be? Some sheet metal, torch, welder, ride on mower or golf cart chassis/engine.

Maybe find a second or third hand honda trike (aka widow makers)

You might have a hard time finding those cool girly massage brochures to round out the authentic feel.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ran into a similar deal as #22! The guy seems ready to hand the keys for a pile of cash. So, if one were to go through with this, what documents would one need to show the police it's not stolen? Is the greenbook the only way to go? Just looking for something to load the family to the beach and back, and this has a serpent kissing a rose stencil on the side!

Edited by cocteau30