2 Day 2 Night Bike Trip

cornishcarlos

I love these forums...

Not only fun to read but pretty useful too :)

So, all you bikers of the north, please could you give us some experienced suggestions.

Would like to do a 2 day 2 night bike trip, visiting Pai and Mae Hong Son plus anywhere in between..

Do you have any route suggestions and accommodation recommendations ??

Will be starting the trip on 15th Dec.. Want to be back in CNX on the Saturday to avoid the traffic out on the roads...

Many thanks,

jap.gif

Recently did Pai to Mae Hong Son (then back to CM via Ob Luang.)

No real recommendations on where to stay sorry (the places found on spec turned out to be just "ok", so not much worth passing on). Just wanted to give you a heads up (if you didnt know yet) that the Pai road has a lot of pot holes (on my last trip though, looks like many were being filled in). The road from Pai to Mae Hong Son (last leg in particular) was bliss (so much so i road it a couple of times ^^).

Edited by eek

I've just returned from Pai to CM this afternoon and to be fair the roads were pretty much ok. A few rough spots but nothing that will stop you or cause problems on any bike.

If you're doing the loop I would possible suggest maybe go from Chiang Mai through Mae Sariang and through to Mae Hong Son in one day and stay there the first night. On the second day take the much shorter trip to Pai and have the afternoon and evening there. This will leave you fully refreshed for the 761 curves between Pai and Chiang Mai and will get you back early afternoon so you wont hit any rush hour traffic.

Be very careful on the road between CM & Pai, many of the other road users drive like complete idiots on this road for some reason.

Good luck & have a safe and enjoyable ride.

We would be happy with 4 hrs riding a day. Not sure how many KM that would be up there as I guess it depends on road and traffic conditions !!

Not looking to party.. Just me and the wife wanting some scenic spots and nice food.

Thanks for the GT Rider suggestion, having a dig around now :)

Cheers

How many kilometers a day do you enjoy traveling?

Looking to party in Pai or find a quiet mountain town?

Dig around on Ride Asia and GT Rider forums trip reports to find out what you seek.

We would be happy with 4 hrs riding a day. Not sure how many KM that would be up there as I guess it depends on road and traffic conditions !!

Not looking to party.. Just me and the wife wanting some scenic spots and nice food.

Thanks for the GT Rider suggestion, having a dig around now :)

Four hours of riding will take you to Cave Lodge past Pai, next day turn left before Khun Yuam, and another 4 hours riding will take you to Mae Chaem enojoying any sunflowers that may still be blooming on route. Plenty of pleasant bungalows to choice from in Mae Chaem. That leaves you with just a couple hours of riding back to Chiang Mai, where being Saturday anywhere you go will have heavy traffic. :)

GT Rider gives gives good accommodation and restaurant recommendations.

Four hours of riding will take you to Cave Lodge past Pai, next day turn left before Khun Yuam, and another 4 hours riding will take you to Mae Chaem

I agree that taking the 1263 from Khun Yuam to Mae Nachon and Mae Chaem is a better alternative to the full loop via Mae Sariang. Well known guest house (Baan Farang) in Khun Yuam, some nice smaller guest houses in Mae Nachon, and several options in Mae Chaem. From Mae Chaem take the back road up to the Doi Inthanon road and then a pretty straight shot back to Chiang Mai unless you want to take another little side trip to Khun Wang and then down to Sanpatong.

Edited by Johpa

If you do the Pai to Mae Hong Song stop at wat tam wua for a look see I have had 2 stays there in the past and it is worth an hour. Rong Tai inn in Mae Hong song is a good place to stay but there are lots of guess houses around the lake in the town and CrossRoads bar is good for a meal and a beer or two