An Ideal Bike For Touring Chiangmai'S Countryside

muchogra

I guess like all things in life, it's different strokes for different folks. There is no doubt that big fun and adventure can be had around these parts on any style of bike. But I'll stick with my contention that the proper (bigger) bikes are safer due to their better stability and tracking. There's a rough broken-up downhill corner on the way into Pai that regularly sees farang picking themselves and their scooters up off the pavement with varying degrees of bangs and road rash. Big bikes don't care - they just track right through it.

Push steering is referred to as counter-steering in some jurisdictions. It's important to know that it is the only way a big bike under way can be turned. You can get a big bike to diverge from a straight line just a little bit by leaning weight, but you can't corner a big one that way. I think the majority of motorcyclists don't know how they are turning their bikes and think it's a kind of magic. Some even think they are doing it by pushing their knees on the gas tank. Many have never really thought about it. But in all cases, they are counter-steering - often subconsciously. A biker can get much more precise, deliberate, quicker and safer turns by moving the practice into the conscious, intentional realm. Anyone not familiar with and practicing conscious counter-steering is urged to try this experiment: On a clear stretch of road, let go with the left hand and just hold very lightly with the right. Sit still on the bike and gently push and pull on the right grip. The light will go on, especially with the light pull on the right grip which will immediately and decisively send the bike into a left turn. The harder the pull, the tighter the turn. Precise intentional counter-steering is one of things that makes riding a bigger bike safer and, imho, much more fun. The physics of why and how a bike turns is fascinating. Perhaps one lazy day I'll put a topic up in the motorbike forum on this and see how much of it I get right. :-)

As for sourcing a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, does Amazon deliver to Thailand? I see there's a kindle edition but I wouldn't recommend that as the book has a ton of very helpful diagrams and pictures.

I'm pulling this off-topic somewhat. As a precise answer to the OP, seriously look at finding a good Phantom. They're within the 100k budget - 50k to 75k second hand, and 85 or 90 new I think. At 200cc, you can't really call them a big bike, but they've got sufficient weight and large enough wheels to give them stability and proper motorcycle handling. Get a back-rest for the passenger and she'll love it. Put a rack behind that for strapping the overnight bag to, and Bob's yer uncle. The 200cc engine actually drives them quite well, although you'll be wishing for more juice going uphill with two on board. One of the great things about these bikes is the low seat height. It's really easy to plant both feet firmly on the ground when paddling the bike around parking areas or slow rough ground. That makes a huge difference to someone without a lot of saddle-time. The tall bikes where you can't plant both heels on the ground can suck the confidence right out of an inexperienced rider.

Thank you for that lesson. I'll try to conciously put it to practise. I have been riding bikes for years, but never really thought about the mechanics of turning.

I recently purchased a Kawasaki 250 D-tracker in the motard version and took it on some extensive runs. I LOVE the bike and sold my Honda 125 dream shortly thereafter. For me, the 250 D-tracker motard is the ideal bike for Thailand. It's nimble like a scooter and goes through narrow gaps in traffic like a scooter, but has MUCH more rubber on the road. It has a nice suspension that smooths out bumps and potholes that jar a scooter into a wobble. It has enough zip to pass trucks and slow moving vehicles on the highway without feeling unstable, and it's still light enough to take off-road. For most of us we don't NEED the knobby tires for 95% of our riding, and I don't want to be on dirt trails in the rain in any case. Top speed is a little lacking on the superhighway, but anything over 100 km per hour is not safe in thailand anyway. There are just WAY too many hazards and unexpected crazy stuff by other vehicles on the road to even THINK of speeding.

D_Tracker_3.jpg

D_Tracker_4.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently purchased a Kawasaki 250 D-tracker in the motard version and took it on some extensive runs. I LOVE the bike and sold my Honda 125 dream shortly thereafter. For me, the 250 D-tracker motard is the ideal bike for Thailand. It's nimble like a scooter and goes through narrow gaps in traffic like a scooter, but has MUCH more rubber on the road. It has a nice suspension that smooths out bumps and potholes that jar a scooter into a wobble. It has enough zip to pass trucks and slow moving vehicles on the highway without feeling unstable, and it's still light enough to take off-road. For most of us we don't NEED the knobby tires for 95% of our riding, and I don't want to be on dirt trails in the rain in any case. Top speed is a little lacking on the superhighway, but anything over 100 km per hour is not safe in thailand anyway. There are just WAY too many hazards and unexpected crazy stuff by other vehicles on the road to even THINK of speeding.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your D-Tracker. I can't remember reading or hearing any significant negative comments from actual D-Tracker owners (except those relating to the seat!). I recently put Pirelli Sport Demons on mine & that simple change has made a great bike even better. Handling, acceleration and braking are noticeably improved. I can't recommend these tires enough. My new Sargent seat is another good addition. It took some getting used to but I'm very happy with it now.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your D-Tracker. I can't remember reading or hearing any significant negative comments from actual D-Tracker owners (except those relating to the seat!). I recently put Pirelli Sport Demons on mine & that simple change has made a great bike even better. Handling, acceleration and braking are noticeably improved. I can't recommend these tires enough. My new Sargent seat is another good addition. It took some getting used to but I'm very happy with it now.

...any photos ?

Sport Demons from Cockpit tires on Hang Dong Road? They provide great customer service, and will be installing a set Sport Demons on my bike tomorrow. Surprisingly even took off a couple of hundred baht off there quoted price when I put down a deposit.

This will be the fifth set of rubber for my D-Tracker. Found the original IRC's on just arrived in Thailand Kawaker 250's vastly better then than replacement IRC's, in terms of wet weather traction, quality, and wear durability. I have tried the Michelin sports, which wore faster and didn't seem any better in good conditions then the IRC, though they rode smoother. The Michelin's were better in the wet but funny enough noticeably worse on the dirt; and I like riding offroad. My rear tires are center bald, well the front will look great. All because the IRC's allow you to spin the rear wheel, on wet roads and slippery intersections, through 1st and 2nd. Honestly that is something that shouldn't happen on pavement, with a bike off this power output. With 20 years of dirt riding I enjoy power sliding, but if I can't with the pirelli's that's a good thing, braking ability keeps you alive.

What do you want photo's of Funcat?

I guess like all things in life, it's different strokes for different folks. There is no doubt that big fun and adventure can be had around these parts on any style of bike. But I'll stick with my contention that the proper (bigger) bikes are safer due to their better stability and tracking. There's a rough broken-up downhill corner on the way into Pai that regularly sees farang picking themselves and their scooters up off the pavement with varying degrees of bangs and road rash. Big bikes don't care - they just track right through it.

Push steering is referred to as counter-steering in some jurisdictions. It's important to know that it is the only way a big bike under way can be turned. You can get a big bike to diverge from a straight line just a little bit by leaning weight, but you can't corner a big one that way. I think the majority of motorcyclists don't know how they are turning their bikes and think it's a kind of magic. Some even think they are doing it by pushing their knees on the gas tank. Many have never really thought about it. But in all cases, they are counter-steering - often subconsciously. A biker can get much more precise, deliberate, quicker and safer turns by moving the practice into the conscious, intentional realm. Anyone not familiar with and practicing conscious counter-steering is urged to try this experiment: On a clear stretch of road, let go with the left hand and just hold very lightly with the right. Sit still on the bike and gently push and pull on the right grip. The light will go on, especially with the light pull on the right grip which will immediately and decisively send the bike into a left turn. The harder the pull, the tighter the turn. Precise intentional counter-steering is one of things that makes riding a bigger bike safer and, imho, much more fun. The physics of why and how a bike turns is fascinating. Perhaps one lazy day I'll put a topic up in the motorbike forum on this and see how much of it I get right. :-)

As for sourcing a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, does Amazon deliver to Thailand? I see there's a kindle edition but I wouldn't recommend that as the book has a ton of very helpful diagrams and pictures.

I'm pulling this off-topic somewhat. As a precise answer to the OP, seriously look at finding a good Phantom. They're within the 100k budget - 50k to 75k second hand, and 85 or 90 new I think. At 200cc, you can't really call them a big bike, but they've got sufficient weight and large enough wheels to give them stability and proper motorcycle handling. Get a back-rest for the passenger and she'll love it. Put a rack behind that for strapping the overnight bag to, and Bob's yer uncle. The 200cc engine actually drives them quite well, although you'll be wishing for more juice going uphill with two on board. One of the great things about these bikes is the low seat height. It's really easy to plant both feet firmly on the ground when paddling the bike around parking areas or slow rough ground. That makes a huge difference to someone without a lot of saddle-time. The tall bikes where you can't plant both heels on the ground can suck the confidence right out of an inexperienced rider.

While visiting in the US, an old friend explained this to me. As somebody who'd ridden motorcycles a lot as a teen I just couldn't accept this counter-intuitive info. It took me going out on his bike and consciously trying to steer the wheel the direction I wanted to go and having the bike snap back to let me know all my assumptions were wrong.

Push steering is referred to as counter-steering in some jurisdictions. It's important to know that it is the only way a big bike under way can be turned. You can get a big bike to diverge from a straight line just a little bit by leaning weight, but you can't corner a big one that way. I think the majority of motorcyclists don't know how they are turning their bikes and think it's a kind of magic. Some even think they are doing it by pushing their knees on the gas tank. Many have never really thought about it. But in all cases, they are counter-steering - often subconsciously. A biker can get much more precise, deliberate, quicker and safer turns by moving the practice into the conscious, intentional realm.

:) I have told that same thing to both cyclist & bicyclist for decades

Perhaps you were also a student of Keith Code back in the late seventies early eighties ? ;)

Quote from Ziffle:

"Do you never want to take a passenger, or go on multi-day trips? How will you carry the duffle bag? Really, how much joy will you find buzzing along on a small 125 on day 5 of a trip down to Krabi? You'll enjoy touring the countryside on an appropriate bike for long-distances and highway speeds. That would be a big bike, not a scooter."

post-22588-0-71217300-1328437443_thumb.j

Thats how you carry luggage & someone can sit back there if reqd.

About 600 to 800 B

How much for panniers on a "real" bike ?

• Like 1

Sport Demons from Cockpit tires on Hang Dong Road? They provide great customer service, and will be installing a set Sport Demons on my bike tomorrow. Surprisingly even took off a couple of hundred baht off there quoted price when I put down a deposit.

This will be the fifth set of rubber for my D-Tracker. Found the original IRC's on just arrived in Thailand Kawaker 250's vastly better then than replacement IRC's, in terms of wet weather traction, quality, and wear durability. I have tried the Michelin sports, which wore faster and didn't seem any better in good conditions then the IRC, though they rode smoother. The Michelin's were better in the wet but funny enough noticeably worse on the dirt; and I like riding offroad. My rear tires are center bald, well the front will look great. All because the IRC's allow you to spin the rear wheel, on wet roads and slippery intersections, through 1st and 2nd. Honestly that is something that shouldn't happen on pavement, with a bike off this power output. With 20 years of dirt riding I enjoy power sliding, but if I can't with the pirelli's that's a good thing, braking ability keeps you alive.

What do you want photo's of Funcat?

I was thinking about showing difference in the tread design(if any) of the Sport Demons v. stock... and the Sargent seat..what's that?? Thanks...

Now there are much more options for all around motorbike,but some years back,if you wanted a Thai made bike,there was ether Phantom,Boss,or CBR.Neither of those was "all-around",so one had to do some modification...How about this CBR 150,that I've modified for a "dual-purpose" bike ?

Many times I've wanted tires like that! What brand are they and where did you get them?

It was 4-5 years ago and I've sold the bike since,so I can't tell the brand....I got the rear one from Joe's shop,so he may help you there...the front one was from the Tiger(the shop next to train station).

nice exhaust modification and skidplate you got there ! Was thinking of tarding out my bike too if i keep it.

Quote from Ziffle:

"Do you never want to take a passenger, or go on multi-day trips? How will you carry the duffle bag? Really, how much joy will you find buzzing along on a small 125 on day 5 of a trip down to Krabi? You'll enjoy touring the countryside on an appropriate bike for long-distances and highway speeds. That would be a big bike, not a scooter."

post-22588-0-71217300-1328437443_thumb.j

Thats how you carry luggage & someone can sit back there if reqd.

About 600 to 800 B

How much for panniers on a "real" bike ?

gangsta.... yo G hear me out cuz... mah bra feel yo bike for only one yo, aint got no room for female, ya feel me?

aint go cruzing gangasta stylez dawg,

yo today i wuz cuzzin with me er6n yo at 80-100km G, ya keep the rhythm with them cars but yo seriously really scrarey when u turning or going through the traffic yo,... also braking aint hard brah, i ya use engine brakin, but yo i cant pack them takeaway foods bruh... seriously problem brah, G.

im out, peace bro

• Like 1

Now there are much more options for all around motorbike,but some years back,if you wanted a Thai made bike,there was ether Phantom,Boss,or CBR.Neither of those was "all-around",so one had to do some modification...How about this CBR 150,that I've modified for a "dual-purpose" bike ?

Many times I've wanted tires like that! What brand are they and where did you get them?

It was 4-5 years ago and I've sold the bike since,so I can't tell the brand....I got the rear one from Joe's shop,so he may help you there...the front one was from the Tiger(the shop next to train station).

nice exhaust modification and skidplate you got there ! Was thinking of tarding out my bike too if i keep it.

That was before the D-Tracker came....but also for the half price.Now you got much more options for the old CBR and as long as the engine is strong,I would do it again...