An Ideal Bike For Touring Chiangmai'S Countryside

muchogra

For riding the mountains, I'd want a manual transmission bike where I can use engine breaking (downshifting) to control speed on descents. Automatics don't know when to downshift - all you got are the brakes. Running a bike up and down through the gears is the only way to ride a bike properly for smooth control and avoid hard braking (and resultant crashing if one is not careful). That's what the teach in advanced mc driving instruction - the speedway courses - and for good reason. smile.gif

Same thing applies to off-road as well - use the gears to control your speed.

Edited by qdinthailand

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't the Wave actually have a backwards gear pattern?

???... all the semi-auto go 1-2-3-4 "down" and when stoped just kick "down" one more and you get "N"...or go backward "up"...little confusing?...but easy to get use to..:D

Should be able to pick up a Yamaha TW 200 with registration plates for 50 or 60K.

yamaha-tw200-tw225_big133602-01_3a52.jpg

I'm thinking of buying my self a TW 225 but I first want to rent one to see how they drive, anybody any idea of any shop offers them for rent in Chiang Mai. And what will be the best place if I like to look for one.

The Tiger Boxer 250, as far as I know is still available for purchase new and can be ordered only through a dealer if in CM. The dealer's shop is also the warranty specified repair station and is just west of the train station . I almost purchased one a few months back, it was about 85k baht with the upgraded Dunlop tires. Great looking bike, very comfortabe for riding in a more upright seated position, and the handling was comparable to many a sports touring bike I've ever ridden. However....... for many reasons, in my opinion the cbr 150 is a better choice.

With the information you guys have provided I'm leaning toward getting a Yamaha Spark 135i for now. It's automatic(?) and simple looking unlike those mean-looking Kawas (may look awkward for a newbie rider). The Honda Dream also sounds good but too bad it's not automatic. Once the confidence, skill, and experience increase, I will change to a meaner looking and more powerful one like those Kawas and CBR250 some have suggested. I think the dealer will deliver a bike to my house, right? I am on the second ring road between Doi Saket and Sankampaeng.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

The Spark and the Dream have the same set-up, semi automatic which means gears but no manual clutch (earlier Sparks did have a clutch). My experience of learning to ride here involved a rented Honda Dream, a close inspection of all the bits to hand and foot and some simple directions from a friend, then hitting the road, very nervously. I'd recommend something similar initially, renting something like a Honda Dream (Honda Waves are more common in rental shops, with the same set up). Then, moving on to a 250cc for getting out into the mountains.

After renting a Dream for 3 months at 1200B a month (it was old, with a ripped seat, but ran very well) I bought a Honda Wave (4 years old) for 15,000B. 2 years later I sold the Wave for 13,000B (depreciation on these bikes is not a cause for concern!).

For getting into the mountains, once you're comfortable get yourself something in the 250cc range. There's the Kawasakis (KLX 250, D-Tracker and Versys 250), the Honda CB'R' 250 and then some relatively unknowns. I went for a Tiger Boxer 250cc, aware that it would have a few issues - hence the price tag of over 30% cheaper than the CBR250 and 50% less than the KLX or D-Tracker. It did have some issues, I got them sorted out and I now believe I have the perfect bike for riding in the mountains around Chiang Mai. Being a simple single carburetor engine, any roadside SomChai can (hopefully, not yet had a total breakdown) get it going again, unlike some of the other Japanese models available. However, the Boxer is not currently available new, though there is/was one available second hand in Chiang Mai.

Worth looking out for, Lifan may be bringing something to the market that may be more appealing in this area than a touring bike, which is what they offer so far.

Some pics:

Recommended initial rental:

A clutchless semi automatic Wave

motorcycle_HONDA_Wave_110S.jpg.gif

Once experienced:

D-Tracker

1405125718_368d4b3782.jpg

KLX

Kawasaki-KLX250-pictures-Design-8.jpg

CB'R' 250

2011-honda-cbr-250-r%201.jpg

Tiger Boxer

7_boxer_250_rs.jpg

Lifan 250-19

lifan_lf250-19.jpg

I'm thinking of buying my self a TW 225 but I first want to rent one to see how they drive, anybody any idea of any shop offers them for rent in Chiang Mai. And what will be the best place if I like to look for one.

There's a shop on the north east corner of Mahidol and Hang Dong Rd that always appears to have the big wheel Yamaha's for sale. Never seen one for rent so maybe ask one of the shops selling.

I will first rent on a weekly basis an automatic like the Click or Wave(is there a fully-automatic Wave?), then move on to a bigger and heavier automatic like the PCX. After some ride, I will switch to a Wave/Dreamer with gear and clutch.

I have been riding here off and on for nearly 30 years now, actually learned to ride on these local mountain dirt roads. You do not sound like a hard core rider so my advice, to repeat what others have said, would be to skip the full autos and just get the semi-auto 125cc Dream. It has been, and remains, the most versatile scooter for those same past three decades. It has the strength (torque), and the tire options, to get you up the steeper mountain roads (just ask any Thai elementary school teacher posted to a more remote village)as well as get you up most of the unpaved roads (marvel at the Mong kids riding circles around Farangs atop high KLXs, including your truly) and is indeed one of the most reliable two-wheelers ever designed. And there is no clutch. It is marvel of engineering.

I will first rent on a weekly basis an automatic like the Click or Wave(is there a fully-automatic Wave?), then move on to a bigger and heavier automatic like the PCX. After some ride, I will switch to a Wave/Dreamer with gear and clutch.

I have been riding here off and on for nearly 30 years now, actually learned to ride on these local mountain dirt roads. You do not sound like a hard core rider so my advice, to repeat what others have said, would be to skip the full autos and just get the semi-auto 125cc Dream. It has been, and remains, the most versatile scooter for those same past three decades. It has the strength (torque), and the tire options, to get you up the steeper mountain roads (just ask any Thai elementary school teacher posted to a more remote village)as well as get you up most of the unpaved roads (marvel at the Mong kids riding circles around Farangs atop high KLXs, including your truly) and is indeed one of the most reliable two-wheelers ever designed. And there is no clutch. It is marvel of engineering.

It will definitely win a popularity contest between the tribe people and many other Thais...It was my first bike here 10 years ago and it was 10 years old then,it may still run somewhere...as good as it is,it still look the same,even the brand new ones(they sell them for 46K!!).I've kept it only couple of weeks and than bougt a new Wave,almost the same engine,only looked better....now I use the Wave automatic and don't have to worry about gears anymore and it runs smooth as honey...well,I'm not gonna take it to some steep dirt roads and race it,anyhow...:D

imagine going down a steep slippery slope either wet or scattered with sand, now imagine downshifting without a clutch and locking the back tires up causing you to slide downhill.

Now imagine you cant control the bike as well when a strong wind hits you or when your high siding an apex of a corner, or just going down that same hill your sliding down. On a bike with no tank the only place for control is your hands, with a tank you have two places to grip or pitch the bike from side to side, hands and knees.

Yes, advantages with a tank and a heavier bike in winds is a plus, though with a low COG and lightweight, the little Waves are perfect for most of the conditions here and you can throw a bag between your legs. One can also shift down smoothly by blipping the throttle if you know what you're doing. I've done over 100,000ks on them here and never had above issues, including down back end of Doi Suthep offroad. You can spin them around like a BMX or hold onto it rather than put it down, while a big bike will go where it wants. Anyhow, as I read it, op is after a runaround.

- Scramblers: great for off-roading; knobblies no good for roads, sit higher up, crap in town.

- Bigger 650 tourers: good for long distances and large people; overkill for average Thai road (you don't want to go much over 100kph here anyway), crap for town.

- Fully automatics: perfect for town; rubbish in mountains/offroad.

The Waves/Dreams tick all boxes for most occasions (in THIS country): easy in the mountains (don't listen to fuddy-duddies saying only good for 30kph moobaan riding), easy in town & parking, cheap, less chance getting nicked, easy to sell on, easy to fix, there's a basket to throw your helmet and mama in. ;)

- Scramblers: great for off-roading; knobblies no good for roads, sit higher up, crap in town.

- Bigger 650 tourers: good for long distances and large people; overkill for average Thai road (you don't want to go much over 100kph here anyway), crap for town.

- Fully automatics: perfect for town; rubbish in mountains/offroad.

The Waves/Dreams tick all boxes for most occasions (in THIS country): easy in the mountains (don't listen to fuddy-duddies saying only good for 30kph moobaan riding), easy in town & parking, cheap, less chance getting nicked, easy to sell on, easy to fix, there's a basket to throw your helmet and mama in.

Great advice! I have had a Honda Wave 125 for about 10 years and just bought a new one. I can't imagine riding a fully automatic motorcycle due to diminished control. Downshifting has helped me out of a sticky situation on more than one occasion.

Mastering the normal shifting on a Honda Wave shouldn't require more than a half an hour or so. It is really no big deal, just a release of the accelerator handle and a click.

The new Wave 125 starts instantly every time and is unbelievably economical on fuel.

Great advice from you guys particularly with regard to downshifting when going downhill.

T_Dog: re "Regarding your question, the answer for you is THAT BIKE that you like to ride in the way that you use it as well as how you like the look of it."...You did give me this good advice. I like the look of the CBR150 but feel not ready to ride it yet. It feels a bit heavy for me now but this may change after some riding practices after all I'm not a weak guy.

For now I have made up my mind. I'm getting a Wave 125 semi-automatic and have it delivered to my house. After a few months I might get a CBR150 or 250.

I'm still puzzled on one thing: Is there a full-automatic for Wave 125? At first I thought there wasn't then a couple of posters seem to suggest otherwise, funcat for example.

Oh, on the Dream, I'm sure it's a workhorse but it looks a bit old-fashioned for me. Thanks for the advice.

Great advice from you guys particularly with regard to downshifting when going downhill.

T_Dog: re "Regarding your question, the answer for you is THAT BIKE that you like to ride in the way that you use it as well as how you like the look of it."...You did give me this good advice. I like the look of the CBR150 but feel not ready to ride it yet. It feels a bit heavy for me now but this may change after some riding practices after all I'm not a weak guy.

For now I have made up my mind. I'm getting a Wave 125 semi-automatic and have it delivered to my house. After a few months I might get a CBR150 or 250.

I'm still puzzled on one thing: Is there a full-automatic for Wave 125? At first I thought there wasn't then a couple of posters seem to suggest otherwise, funcat for example.

Oh, on the Dream, I'm sure it's a workhorse but it looks a bit old-fashioned for me. Thanks for the advice.

There is a Wave 110cc fully automatic (no gears to change)....BTW,I've just put mine up for sale yesterday...check the TV CM motorcycles classifieds,you will see some photos of it...or PM me,I'll send you the "large" ones..Cheers

For any type of touring outside the city, the MINIMUM which could be recommended is the CBR150. Much more preferable to that would be the CBR250 or the KLX/D-Tracker 250. And if your budget wasn't so low the most preferable would be the Versys 650 (apart from BMWs etc..)

All this talk of Dreams/Waves etc.. is nonsense. They are completely unsuitable, uncomfortable, boring and even dangerous for any type of distance touring. Anyone with real bike experience would not recommend one for anything other than getting used to riding bikes again for a day or two.

The CBR-150 works well for me in Thailand. I had a 537 pound super-bike back in the USA and the CBR-150 at 254 pounds felt very light to me, but it handled just like my old street bike just without the raw power. It has taken us all over Thailand and into some places you would never take a larger displacement bike. For me, a clutch is a necessity for those steep or slippery downhills that we often run across. I think your approach is a good one, but consider renting that "scooter" so you don't get stuck with it for too long! ;) Even a bit of out Mae Rim you can run into roads where scooters have some troubles, although the local folks sure can run them well.

By the way, I rode with some KLX-250 riders last week and they sure give high marks to that bike. Some were prior owners of the CBR-150 so they know what they are talking about. Two-up or on trails, they are superior to the -150. One-up and on road, the CBR-150 wins out. Again, it depends on how you like to ride. All of the bikes that you have mentioned you are interested in are great for motorcyclists that enjoy riding and don't have an ego to feed.

All this talk of Dreams/Waves etc.. is nonsense. They are completely unsuitable, uncomfortable, boring and even dangerous for any type of distance touring. Anyone with real bike experience would not recommend one for anything other than getting used to riding bikes again for a day or two.

That's funny because of all the cases of visiting friends and acquaintances, over the years, that are experienced riders on large bikes (600 - 1200 cc) in north america. Yet on holiday for a week plus, most enthusiastically tour throughout the entire north west of Thailand on 125cc scooters. Small, densely populated country, with plenty of sights to see plus food and accommodation so frequently along the way. Do you need more then a scoot to see the country, no.

But if you wanna ride and savoir the roads of the NW of Thailand.......choose your flavor.

Now there are much more options for all around motorbike,but some years back,if you wanted a Thai made bike,there was ether Phantom,Boss,or CBR.Neither of those was "all-around",so one had to do some modification...How about this CBR 150,that I've modified for a "dual-purpose" bike ?

post-60959-0-13223700-1323869309_thumb.j

Now there are much more options for all around motorbike,but some years back,if you wanted a Thai made bike,there was ether Phantom,Boss,or CBR.Neither of those was "all-around",so one had to do some modification...How about this CBR 150,that I've modified for a "dual-purpose" bike ?

Many times I've wanted tires like that! What brand are they and where did you get them?

Many times I've wanted tires like that! What brand are they and where did you get them?

It was 4-5 years ago and I've sold the bike since,so I can't tell the brand....I got the rear one from Joe's shop,so he may help you there...the front one was from the Tiger(the shop next to train station).

I'm reading all these posts about a "big" 650 cc being too much for the twisties and a 125 being more suitable. I seem to see this sort of thing often. Have the people that are saying this stuff ever even ridden a bigger bike??? The thing that stabilizes a motorcycle is a function of "trail" and the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels. The physics is actually quite complicated, but one could say, with gross over-simplification, the bigger the wheels, the more stable with the perfect balance being where the best stability merges with not too much weight and the proper wheelbase. Sport bikes nail this formula perfectly. This is why they do not put the Dream's bicycle wheel on the only slightly larger CBR150. Anybody who has ridden larger bikes, then gets on a Dream, can testify to the Dream's shaky instability. It's because of the "bicycle wheels" (in part) that they put on the Dream; the wheels are not heavy enough to generate much stability. And they also use tubed tires which are much less reliable, from a safety point of view, than tubeless tires at higher speeds.

I ride a 650, which is actually considered a small or entry level motorcycle anywhere else in the world. It handles great on ALL the twisties. I can't even imagine riding one of these 125 toys any distance. Fine around the moobahn at 25-30 kph, but Chiangmai to Mae Hong Son? If you eventually want to go anywhere out of town, get a decent bike and learn how to ride it. At least get a model with tubeless tires; that would be a start. If you just want transportation around town, get a Dream or equivalent.

Tonguethaied, couldnt in my limited experience agree more... came back from 4 days riding a yamaha FZ1 in Chaingmai and got on a cbr250 and felt really unstable and jerky. Its also got to do with momentum which is a function of weight and velocity.. at any given velocity a larger bike will have more momentum which is to say forward force which will of course mean more stopping power needed ( which they generally tend to have) but also means bike is more stable at that velocity.

I too am surprised at all the recommendations here for using a little scooter for touring out of town. Those things are good only for zipping around town and maybe the odd afternoon excursion up to Samoeng or something similar. Do yourself a favour and find a way to get a real motorbike for trips more than just a day trip. You'll get much more enjoyment and satisfaction riding a machine that was designed for the activity your are undertaking. You'll be riding real gyroscopes from a stable platform that's planted on the road and responds elegantly to your inputs, instead of sitting on a little chair zipping around on wobbly wheels (this a slight exaggeration, but essentially correct).

Do you never want to take a passenger, or go on multi-day trips? How will you carry the duffle bag? Really, how much joy will you find buzzing along on a small 125 on day 5 of a trip down to Krabi? You'll enjoy touring the countryside on an appropriate bike for long-distances and highway speeds. That would be a big bike, not a scooter.

Get proper gear including a quality helment (not a plastic bucket), an armored jacket (the vented ones don't really add much heat when you're in motion), and some secure over-the-ankle foot wear that will stay on in the event of a rough get-off.

Practice push-steering only, right from the beginning, and use it always, even when putting around on a small scooter that can be steered by body leans. Push steering is the only way a big bike at speed can be turned and you really want to have the practice embedded in your muscle memory when some sort of pucker situation suddenly appears. Learn about late-apex cornering, and practice it. It will keep you out of a lot of trouble when winding your way through the twisties. Find a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough. There is no doubt at all that you will be a better and safer rider after absorbing that book.

Enjoyable and safe touring requires a proper motorcycle intended for that use; a bike that can accept a passenger and luggage without flaming out; a bike that won't bounce and wobble and possibly wipe out when hitting a small pot-hole or sandy patch at highway speeds. The little urban scooters simply don't cut it for touring, and they're not nearly as much fun.

I too am surprised at all the recommendations here for using a little scooter for touring out of town. Those things are good only for zipping around town and maybe the odd afternoon excursion up to Samoeng or something similar. Do yourself a favour and find a way to get a real motorbike for trips more than just a day trip. You'll get much more enjoyment and satisfaction riding a machine that was designed for the activity your are undertaking. You'll be riding real gyroscopes from a stable platform that's planted on the road and responds elegantly to your inputs, instead of sitting on a little chair zipping around on wobbly wheels (this a slight exaggeration, but essentially correct).

Do you never want to take a passenger, or go on multi-day trips? How will you carry the duffle bag? Really, how much joy will you find buzzing along on a small 125 on day 5 of a trip down to Krabi? You'll enjoy touring the countryside on an appropriate bike for long-distances and highway speeds. That would be a big bike, not a scooter.

Get proper gear including a quality helment (not a plastic bucket), an armored jacket (the vented ones don't really add much heat when you're in motion), and some secure over-the-ankle foot wear that will stay on in the event of a rough get-off.

Practice push-steering only, right from the beginning, and use it always, even when putting around on a small scooter that can be steered by body leans. Push steering is the only way a big bike at speed can be turned and you really want to have the practice embedded in your muscle memory when some sort of pucker situation suddenly appears. Learn about late-apex cornering, and practice it. It will keep you out of a lot of trouble when winding your way through the twisties. Find a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough. There is no doubt at all that you will be a better and safer rider after absorbing that book.

Enjoyable and safe touring requires a proper motorcycle intended for that use; a bike that can accept a passenger and luggage without flaming out; a bike that won't bounce and wobble and possibly wipe out when hitting a small pot-hole or sandy patch at highway speeds. The little urban scooters simply don't cut it for touring, and they're not nearly as much fun.

Good post...but it sure will be difficult to get the book here,so maybe you could expand on the "push steering" and "late-apex cornering" terms for example....I did get your point at the end thou about the scooters "...and they're not nearly as much fun."...:D

I agree with Funcat that this is a good post. Muchagro is looking for a bike under a 100K so that makes it a bit tougher to find a bike that handles well.

<rant deleted>..... The little urban scooters simply don't cut it for touring, and they're not nearly as much fun.

Balderdash! I have traveled around the north on both scooters as well as 250 dual sports, both solo and two-up. But then I like to go slow so that I can admire the views and read the signs and smile and talk to the people. I can have just as much fun on the scooters as on the larger bikes. Heck, my son's friends rode down to Phuket from Chiang Mai on their little Vespas and had a blast. In Thailand I can go for a road trip with everything I need for a few days stuffed into one small backpack. As we speak I am planning with some friends to go on an extended scooter trip next year. Sure every bike has some limitations and it would be great if I could afford to bring my WeeStrom over to Thailand. But give me a 125 Dream scooter and some time up north and my fun never ends.

<rant deleted>..... The little urban scooters simply don't cut it for touring, and they're not nearly as much fun.

Balderdash! I have traveled around the north on both scooters as well as 250 dual sports, both solo and two-up. But then I like to go slow so that I can admire the views and read the signs and smile and talk to the people. I can have just as much fun on the scooters as on the larger bikes. Heck, my son's friends rode down to Phuket from Chiang Mai on their little Vespas and had a blast. In Thailand I can go for a road trip with everything I need for a few days stuffed into one small backpack. As we speak I am planning with some friends to go on an extended scooter trip next year. Sure every bike has some limitations and it would be great if I could afford to bring my WeeStrom over to Thailand. But give me a 125 Dream scooter and some time up north and my fun never ends.

OK...I think we are mixing "transportation" and "fun" here...the bigger the bike...the bigger the FUN !!! :DI have a friend who use to have Panthom and Dream as well...he was using Phantom for the road trips and Dream in the city...since he sold the Phantom,no more traveling for him...:(

So.. I guess that can be summed up as: "It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it!" ;)

Good post...but it sure will be difficult to get the book here,so maybe you could expand on the "push steering" and "late-apex cornering" terms for example....I did get your point at the end thou about the scooters "...and they're not nearly as much fun."...:D

I learned how to ride big bikes on the Internet, and push-steering means that when you want to go right, instead of leaning into the corner you just push your _right_ hand away from you, which initially (for an unobservable moment) begins to point the wheel to the left, which causes the whole bike to lean right, which gets you through a right hand corner.

Google taught me everything I know.

Edited by CheGuava

I guess like all things in life, it's different strokes for different folks. There is no doubt that big fun and adventure can be had around these parts on any style of bike. But I'll stick with my contention that the proper (bigger) bikes are safer due to their better stability and tracking. There's a rough broken-up downhill corner on the way into Pai that regularly sees farang picking themselves and their scooters up off the pavement with varying degrees of bangs and road rash. Big bikes don't care - they just track right through it.

Push steering is referred to as counter-steering in some jurisdictions. It's important to know that it is the only way a big bike under way can be turned. You can get a big bike to diverge from a straight line just a little bit by leaning weight, but you can't corner a big one that way. I think the majority of motorcyclists don't know how they are turning their bikes and think it's a kind of magic. Some even think they are doing it by pushing their knees on the gas tank. Many have never really thought about it. But in all cases, they are counter-steering - often subconsciously. A biker can get much more precise, deliberate, quicker and safer turns by moving the practice into the conscious, intentional realm. Anyone not familiar with and practicing conscious counter-steering is urged to try this experiment: On a clear stretch of road, let go with the left hand and just hold very lightly with the right. Sit still on the bike and gently push and pull on the right grip. The light will go on, especially with the light pull on the right grip which will immediately and decisively send the bike into a left turn. The harder the pull, the tighter the turn. Precise intentional counter-steering is one of things that makes riding a bigger bike safer and, imho, much more fun. The physics of why and how a bike turns is fascinating. Perhaps one lazy day I'll put a topic up in the motorbike forum on this and see how much of it I get right. :-)

As for sourcing a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, does Amazon deliver to Thailand? I see there's a kindle edition but I wouldn't recommend that as the book has a ton of very helpful diagrams and pictures.

I'm pulling this off-topic somewhat. As a precise answer to the OP, seriously look at finding a good Phantom. They're within the 100k budget - 50k to 75k second hand, and 85 or 90 new I think. At 200cc, you can't really call them a big bike, but they've got sufficient weight and large enough wheels to give them stability and proper motorcycle handling. Get a back-rest for the passenger and she'll love it. Put a rack behind that for strapping the overnight bag to, and Bob's yer uncle. The 200cc engine actually drives them quite well, although you'll be wishing for more juice going uphill with two on board. One of the great things about these bikes is the low seat height. It's really easy to plant both feet firmly on the ground when paddling the bike around parking areas or slow rough ground. That makes a huge difference to someone without a lot of saddle-time. The tall bikes where you can't plant both heels on the ground can suck the confidence right out of an inexperienced rider.

It's certainly fun and educational reading the various accounts by different small to big riders. I envy you guys skill, experience, and freedom - none of which I have at present. I envision myself not doing any long distance riding nor frequenting busy downtown. I intend riding for a couple of hours a few times per week near my house - the sort of activities as described by fellow poster, Joshpa.

My current ambition is just to be able to ride a CBR150 with ease after finish practicing a rented semi-automatic Wave. Perhaps, one of these days, when my skill improves and get to know more rider friends, I will buy a big touring sports bike. But the likelihood that my wife will let me go on a bike tour for a few days is next to nil (pussy whipped?:lol:) . She herself will not have anything to do with a bike. For 2 years that I owned and rode my 550cc, 4-cyl chopper in the States, she had never sat on it. For now I know my head is just not big enough to wear that hat. Thanks and cheers everyone!

I would love to have your opinions on my next bike. I am an experienced rider, of course not professional. I currently have a 110 Honda cz1 and it is great. But not, IMHO, suitable for extended highway use. I do not want two motorcycles. My needs are these:

1. I spend 3 days in Phayao. Commute 20 km to work and home 20 km on superhighway. Parking at work is tight. Use the MC for shopping around town in between.

2. Spend 4 days in CM. Would love to be able to ride my MC back and forth, that is a twisty mountain road frequented by tour buses.

So: 20 kn commute to and from work 3 days - superhighway

159 km commute to CM once a week - mountain road

90 km run to CR or Lampang on occasion - superhighway

shopping in town, CM and Phayao

parking is an issue

I am torn between the Boxer 250rs which everyone seems to love, probably better in town bike and commuter and the new Honda cbr 250r which might be better is some ways, not sure which. And of course throw in an older honda 400 but they are really heavy and probably cannot compare to the newer bikes.

Boxer is less expensive. I have ridden both and like them both. What do you guys think (And I am not trying to open a can of worms, honda vs tiger, more upright vs sport bike!)

Thanks for any input

• 1 month later...