Family Of 3 Going To Vientiane Via Nong Kai

Myself, wife and son will be travelling to Vientiane next week for visas ( wife is Thai - long story )

We are on 30 day visa exempt stamps that expire on the 16th December.

We live near Kalasin and want to plan the trip in advance.

If I was travelling solo I would do this more ad-hoc but would like to make it as hassle and moan free as possible in this circumstance ;)

I realise we will need a visa for Laos also.

Would it seem reasonable to arrive at Nong Khai on the 14th, grab a visa and go straight over to Vientiane via Bus/Coach - stay in prebooked accomodation for 2 nights and

assume to return on the 16th with Visas ( assuming they are issued with no hassles ) ?

Or is it easy enough to find accomodation in Vientiane without traipsing around for hours ( typical family abroad nightmare )

People with experience of similar domestic bliss scenarios opinions especially welcome.

ps also any recommendations of services/hotels would be great - Thanks

Chon

:rolleyes:

Not sure if you're talking about a Thai visa in Vientianne but I guess you are.

Hope you realise that it is at best a two day process, because even if the visa process is hassle free; you must apply for the Thai visa on the first day before noon, and then return the next day in the afternoon to pick the visa up.

That's standard for most Thai embessys and consulates.

Maybe you do realise that, but I wasn't sure about it from what you wrote.

I'm not sure whether the transportation times would make it possible or not.

:whistling:

:rolleyes:

Not sure if you're talking about a Thai visa in Vientianne but I guess you are.

Hope you realise that it is at best a two day process, because even if the visa process is hassle free; you must apply for the Thai visa on the first day before noon, and then return the next day in the afternoon to pick the visa up.

That's standard for most Thai embessys and consulates.

Maybe you do realise that, but I wasn't sure about it from what you wrote.

I'm not sure whether the transportation times would make it possible or not.

:whistling:

Yes a Thai visa :)

I thought by mentioning the 30 day stamp and expiry date in the Thai visa sub forum might be enough of a pre-amble - sorry for any ambiguity .

As I mentioned a 2 night stay I also realise it will take that long.

Does anyone have any more info - or should I take the eye-rolling smilies with me to Nong Kai :)

Edited by chonabot

You can get a Laos visa on the bridge in just a couple of minutes (~15min). If you wife is Thai(thai pasport) she will not need a visa. There are a couple of GH's that have popped up right next to the Thai consulate. Great for a visa run, not so great if you want to look around Vientiane. Also, you can get a service to handle waiting in lines etc for the visa, or leave the family an hour or so and take the applications/passports by yourself.

You can get a Laos visa on the bridge in just a couple of minutes (~15min). If you wife is Thai(thai pasport) she will not need a visa. There are a couple of GH's that have popped up right next to the Thai consulate. Great for a visa run, not so great if you want to look around Vientiane. Also, you can get a service to handle waiting in lines etc for the visa, or leave the family an hour or so and take the applications/passports by yourself.

Cheers Steve !

be sure that you go to the border, not one of the "visa shops" that the tuk tuk's from Nong Khai Train Station will try to take you to.

i think the laos visa fee for most western countrys are either $30 or $35 , was $35 for UK passport.

when i was there 4 days ago i Did Bangkok -> Nong Khai via train (have to grab the 6:30 overnight train) and then :

Nong Khai Station -> Border for 30 baht per person.

Nong Khai border -> Laos Border for 25 baht to cross the Friendship bridge via bus.

you can arrange a taxi for Laos border -> vientiane very easily. i had a guy approach me on the Thai Side and told me to meet him in vientiane for a taxi over. cost me 100 baht sharing it with 3-4 other people.

Accomodation Wise : if you cant find anything next to embassy get a tuk tuk over to River Mekhong , theres LOTS of accomodation over there and im sure you'd like it over there with restaurants ect close by.

Warning: i assume you have done prior research on Embassy's but from what i've been reading Recently vientiane is being pretty harsh on Visa's. i returned there myself and they would not Issue me a tourist visa even though i only had 1 prior tourist visa in my passport. if you want to avoid the red stamp i'd suggest looking elsewhere

good luck and hope you enjoy your stay there.

Edited by SpoonZie

I'm not sure why your wife and son are making the visa run.

You state that she is Thai, and by default he is too.

Though they are here on non-Thai passports (not ideal), being Thai citizens they are eligible for a 12 month extension of stay from the local immigration on production of proof of Thai nationality. 1900 baht for each extension I believe.

Surely this is a better option for both of them rather than the traipsing up and back and on the cost side also.

I'm not sure why your wife and son are making the visa run.

You state that she is Thai, and by default he is too.

Though they are here on non-Thai passports (not ideal), being Thai citizens they are eligible for a 12 month extension of stay from the local immigration on production of proof of Thai nationality. 1900 baht for each extension I believe.

Surely this is a better option for both of them rather than the traipsing up and back and on the cost side also.

Hi Samran - very good points - I posted elsewhere regarding the issues we/they are having with our local amphur ( long story )

We are waiting for their Thai Birth certificates to arrive via the UK - being sent by DHL.

Hopefully these will arrive before next week and we can sort the extensions out via immigration.

If not, the visa run is a back up plan.

Chon

be sure that you go to the border, not one of the "visa shops" that the tuk tuk's from Nong Khai Train Station will try to take you to.

i think the laos visa fee for most western countrys are either $30 or $35 , was $35 for UK passport.

when i was there 4 days ago i Did Bangkok -> Nong Khai via train (have to grab the 6:30 overnight train) and then :

Nong Khai Station -> Border for 30 baht per person.

Nong Khai border -> Laos Border for 25 baht to cross the Friendship bridge via bus.

you can arrange a taxi for Laos border -> vientiane very easily. i had a guy approach me on the Thai Side and told me to meet him in vientiane for a taxi over. cost me 100 baht sharing it with 3-4 other people.

Accomodation Wise : if you cant find anything next to embassy get a tuk tuk over to River Mekhong , theres LOTS of accomodation over there and im sure you'd like it over there with restaurants ect close by.

Warning: i assume you have done prior research on Embassy's but from what i've been reading Recently vientiane is being pretty harsh on Visa's. i returned there myself and they would not Issue me a tourist visa even though i only had 1 prior tourist visa in my passport. if you want to avoid the red stamp i'd suggest looking elsewhere

good luck and hope you enjoy your stay there.

Lots of great info - Thanks :)