Interesting Map From The Bbc Re Road Deaths In The Uk

theblether

I was having a meander through the BBC website and I came across this map, which allows you to focus into a postcode area and see how many road fatalities are taking place in that area. On the second page there is an index to the right that tells you what type of vehicles etc were involved. Have a look at your postcode area here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

Its quite astonishing, given how few motorbikes there are in the UK, how many of the deaths in mid Wales involved motorbike riders.

I do like to ride, but a good reminder to be extra careful!

Good point, I was quite amazed at the amount of road fatalities in the central Glasgow area, I thought with it being a suburban area the lower speed factors would help. Obviously there are a lot more pedestrians, but still quite shocking.

Note that the postcode map covers deaths over an unspecified number of years (looks like at least 10) whereas the headline is for 36,000 deaths over the two years 2010/11.

I see from Wikipedia that Thailand is, perhaps surprisingly to those who witness the madness here, but have not travelled to the even more bonkers countries*, in line with the global average at around 20 deaths per 100,000 of population, whereas the UK is one of the lowest at less than 4 deaths per 100,000 (USA 12).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

*Anybody driven in Iran - I have - they are mental. Confirmed by a rate of 36 deaths per 100,000. Drive for a lifetime of say 50 years in Iran and you have a one in 50 chance of pegging it in your car!

Note that the postcode map covers deaths over an unspecified number of years (looks like at least 10) whereas the headline is for 36,000 deaths over the two years 2010/11.

I see from Wikipedia that Thailand is, perhaps surprisingly to those who witness the madness here, but have not travelled to the even more bonkers countries*, in line with the global average at around 20 deaths per 100,000 of population, whereas the UK is one of the lowest at less than 4 deaths per 100,000 (USA 12).

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

*Anybody driven in Iran - I have - they are mental. Confirmed by a rate of 36 deaths per 100,000. Drive for a lifetime of say 50 years in Iran and you have a one in 50 chance of pegging it in your car!

I should have forwarded the link to the original article, the figures have been collated since 1999, so the 36,000 figure is over the course of the period 1999-2010 I believe.

I read a figure at one point that there are 37 motorcycle fatalities per day in Thailand. Scary stuff.

I read a figure at one point that there are 37 motorcycle fatalities per day in Thailand. Scary stuff.

Yes and how many not wearing helmets? Many of the members will know others who have died in this way in Thailand. So sad and yet largely preventable.

Yes and how many not wearing helmets? Many of the members will know others who have died in this way in Thailand. So sad and yet largely preventable.

Correct........re your postcode, are you saying that there are no figures for your postcode??? or that your postcode area doesn't exist??? Dan dan Da!!! this could get thrilling...........