Usa Social Security

ableguy

Hi Guys for all you retired USA citrizens on social security did your December check arrive on time, mine is usually in my account on the third of every month but not this month on the sixth no sign of it yet, could it be thanks giving that slowed things up, also if it does not show up who to contact, The pamphlets I have been reading seem to suggest contact USA embassy in case of problems but I find this hard to believe, all the phone numbers are 1 800 so no good here and also have checked on line but can find no advice on this, any help appreciated.

You use a U.S. bank with Direct Deposit from SocSec? Mine was deposited in my U.S. bank on 1 December.

http://ssa.gov/

http://bangkok.usemb...-and-taxes.html

No real good suggestion except to send an email Q to the SSA office in Manila:

Social Security Adminstration

The Social Security Administration’s Regional Federal Benefits Office in Manila is the point of contact for cases reported from Thailand. Their contact information is:

Social Security Administration

US Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita, Manila 0930

Philippines

Tel: 632-301-2000

Fax: 632-708-9723 or 632-708-9714

Email: [email protected]xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

Edited by Thanyaburi Mac

Since the 3rd was a Saturday the benefits are paid on Friday the 2nd. You can call the 1-800 number from here, you just have to pay the whatever your carrier charges for international calls.

If you are receiving Disability payments did you get any notices of a review? Is your mailing address for SSA here in Thailand?

Did you check your account for the 1st or 2nd of December?

Mine was on time.

Did you recently get a request for info that is required to continue the payments?

If it wasn't returned to them they'll stop payments until they are satisfied you're still alive. I believe they'll send you at least two requests, from personal experience, prior to stopping checks.

As suggested, contact the Soc Sec unit at the US Embassy in Manila. I've found them to be very helpful.

ACS at the US Embassy will also try to help with Soc Sec issues. I've never used them, so can't say whether they can help, or not.

Terry

If you use Bangkok Bank the SSA paymnet were late and credited to acccounts yesterday, the 6th. Mine was credited to my account at 12:30 yeaterday afternoon. If you haven't received yours contact SSA in Manila, via e-mail. E-mail address listed in previous post, leave out the x's

Mine came on time the 3rd of the month. FYI from a reliable source within Social Security about a comment made here about disability payments if you are on them. The Government is overwhelmed in that area with claims and the three year "review" has been suspended for 2-3 years now in most cases. It does not matter if your check is due on a Saturday or Sunday either. People are not involved in issuing the check, it is all electronic. Issued at 12 midnight the day it's due to your account or where you have arrangements to have it sent. Mine has never been late one time in three years. It is always credited at 12 midnight US Time which is normally 3pm Bkk time. So ... if yours did not come you should probably call immediately and see what happened. After all is said and done about the Government the SS checks are very reliable.

I guess related to this post. Do most of you receive payments directly to Thai bank or have them deposited to a US bank like me (Chase) and withdraw money using my ATM card, which is a total pain and expensive. and .... if so how did you set that up ?

I guess related to this post. Do most of you receive payments directly to Thai bank or have them deposited to a US bank like me (Chase) and withdraw money using my ATM card, which is a total pain and expensive. and .... if so how did you set that up ?

Direct deposits can be problematic, since they can only be to an account with Bangkok Bank that can be accessed for withdrawal only in person.

You can set-up a transfer mechanism via ACH from your Chase account to your Bangkok Bank account. This would be to your normal savings account, from which ATM and on-line transfers can be done (no in-person required). Total cost would be about $14 ($3 Chase ACH fee; BB NY fee of $5; BB Thailand fee of $6 (200 baht)). This for a, say, $1500 transfer.

For the above money to be obtained via your Chase ATM card, you'd need two pulls from a Thai ATM machine, $5 per pull, plus 3% of $1500 -- for a cost of $55. Add another $10 if not from an Aeon ATM machine.

Compared to $14, it ain't even close. (A direct deposit would have the same BB fees, but you'd save the $3 ACH fee. But for $3, I'd prefer the convenience of not having to appear in person for my money.) Many banks (like USAA) don't charge any ACH fees.

BB website has all the pertinent info. Also, much info on this forum.

My folks both get theirs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. November payments on time...

:)

The wife gets hers on the 3rd Wednesday of the month; me, on the second. This is all dependent on your birthday -- and whether you filed for SS after 1997 -- and filed in the US.

If you file overseas, even if the direct deposit is to your US account, your payment will be on the 3rd of the month (or sooner, if the 3rd is on a weekend/holiday).

Since all payments are in arrears (i.e., your Dec payment was for benefits earned in Nov), it makes no difference when in the month you die -- your heir will get what you earned for the month before your month of death. So, if you get paid on the 3rd, but die on the 4th -- you're in the same boat as if you would have been paid on the last Wed in the month.

Not that anyone really cares -- but I've seen cases where folks were concerned that late in the month payments might cost their spouse a SS check -- if they died before that date.

Not sure if you switch from a Wed payday to a 3rd of the month payday, if you switch a US bank direct deposit to an international direct deposit.....? Or, if you file in the US -- but set-up an international direct deposit at the same time...? Obviously, somebody reading this answer this.

Edited by JimGant