Expats With Yellow Book To Prove Residency

dutcherscove

i called the 1330# today that sheryl suggested

to be eligable for free medical in thailand there are 2 conditions

1 you must be thai

2 you must have a a 13 didget id number issued by the gov.

so i would say to all the farangs that are getting free medical to keep your mouth shut and enjoy the mistake that sombody made that is enabling you to recieve a benifit that you that is ot allowed

ps i started this discussion so ride the wave as long as you can because the yellow book does not give you this entitlment

Number 1. Or married to a Thai ? As some have suggested/stated on this forum. "Marriage' is a prerequisite.

Number 2. The 13 digit number is the number on your 'Yellow Book' which is issued by the government.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding about the 30 baht health system.

1) It is only available for Thai citizens.

2) To partake in the system one must have a certain level of income, what the cut of point is I do not know. The system is meant to be used by the not so well off. If you go to any Govt hospital you will see some Thai people paying for treatment and medicine and others don't,(as they are in the 30 baht card system.)

3) One must use the hospital/ s within your province. If the needed medical facilities are not available in your province your doctor will write a letter and you would be sent to the nearest hospital that does.

4) The letter from the doctor is only valid for a set time, 2 months I think. Then to continue treatment after 2 months you have to get a further letter from the local doctor again and restart in the system.

5) If you do go out of province for attention you have to join the new hospitals patient list, (and the paper war is tremendous), and do that on each visit.

6) You have no choice as to the doctor who may look after you. After being in several provincial hospitals over the last 18 months, the standard of care and attention varies a huge amount hospital to hospital. Little or no English spoken only by some doctors and usually none by the nurses.

7) Because of the sheer numbers of patients, all needing help and service may find it slow and in some hospitals urgency in critical situations does not seem to happen.

8) However the top Govt. hospitals are excellent and one should do their best if using Govt. hospitals to try and use them rather than your local provincial one. My wife has been using Siriraj Hospital in Bangkok for the last 18 months and frankly one can not fault any thing there .The care, testing, services, staff and doctors is wonderful to see. Siriraj has over 2,00,000 patients a year and the volume of people working there, visiting, or patients is overwhelming. It is worth walking through the place to see how it ticks.

As an aside why would the Thai Govt. offer so called free medical treatment to a non Thai who has at least 800,000 baht in his bank A/c. lives a better lifestyle than most Thais, and is not a resident or citizen of Thailand.

BAYBOY

The '30 Baht health system', implemented post 2001, was never really implemented and certainly doesn't exist today. There's no cost if you use the government hospital that you are registered at. I stand to be corrected.

being married to a thai does not make you THAI

the 13 digit # on the yellow book is where the confusion starts

some hospitals get confused and think that is your thai national id # from your national id card that all thais have but it isn't

believe me enjoy it while you can but some day they will figure out the mistake and then the free ride will be over

you can always call 1330 and get the facts i did

SINBIN.

The 13 digit number is the one showing on your Thai I.D. card which only Thai citizens have. When you apply for any thing to do with the 30 baht card you must show your hospital card and your Thai I.D. card, and supply photo copies of them both signed.

My 11 year old son has a Thai passport issued 5 years ago and a Thai I.D. card issued 4 months ago and both show the same 13 digit number.The big brother system must use only 13 digit numbers and coordinate them so all Govt records follow the same person through life.

As previous Poster stated if somehow you have got into the system then good luck. Some years ago I used the local Govt Hospital for dental treatment, charged 180 baht for a root canal!

Next visit some months later was told a mistake, from now I would have to pay the going commercial rate. Mistakes do happen.

But as I say would any Government give free medical treatment to a visitor here for only a year, has the resources,and for many don't pay into the taxation system here.

In New Zealand all including visitors get accident compensation to cover any medical needs caused by accident, but not free medical caused by health problems.

BAYBOY

I had the same problem with my yellow tabien ban and the guy in the Amphur had me running up and down to Bangkok asking for what he wanted only to change his mind when I got it and wants something else.

Obtaining the 'Yellow Book' is really straight forward, and all the necessary documentation/translations can be done by post. I got mine that way and never set foot in Bangkok. Total cost 4,900 Baht which paid for itself in free treatment at the government hospital.

My yellow book was handed to me free of charge.

SINBIN.

Sorry it does exist. My wife has been using it for the last few months. Before then when she had a 10 day course of Chemo treatment the cost at Siriraj was usually around 70,000 baht.

When she went on the 30 baht system the cost for 10 days once was as low as 75 baht.

During the flooding she had to go to Ratchaburi hospital as Siriraj was closed. No chemo this visit, only care as she was very unwell, stayed there 10 days and in a private room. The room cost 700 baht per night and our total hospital bill for the 10 days came to 7000 baht every thing else... care, medicine, food, etc FREE.

BAYBOY

Yes they are free of charge, but you have to get your passport translated and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. This is a requirement to obtaining the 'Yellow book''. That's the expensive part. If not done by the book, I've know of 2,000 Baht being passed under the table. Unfortunately they wouldn't go down that route where I live.

SINBIN.

Sorry it does exist. My wife has been using it for the last few months. Before then when she had a 10 day course of Chemo treatment the cost at Siriraj was usually around 70,000 baht.

When she went on the 30 baht system the cost for 10 days once was as low as 75 baht.

During the flooding she had to go to Ratchaburi hospital as Siriraj was closed. No chemo this visit, only care as she was very unwell, stayed there 10 days and in a private room. The room cost 700 baht per night and our total hospital bill for the 10 days came to 7000 baht every thing else... care, medicine, food, etc FREE.

BAYBOY

You're wrong, it's free these days. Of course the private room cost 7000 Baht for 10 days. It's not included. If you're paying for 'Chemo' then you're paying private.

Just to clarify one point. The '30 Baht' payment does not exist, and hasn't done for a number of years. All the other conditions implemented with it may still exist, but all treatment is now free.

Post-coup public health minister Mongkol Na Songkhla called the 30-baht program a "marketing gimmick" and claimed that the government would "very soon" stop charging patients any fees for visits to state hospitals. Many people who received the treatment claimed that they prefer drugs from pharmacists than from facilities covered by the scheme and almost half of the patients were dissatisfied with the service given by the facilities.
http://en.wikipedia....ksin_Shinawatra

BAYBOY, do you still want to claim your wife paid 75 Baht ?

Edited by sinbin

I obtained my Yellow book recently and applied at the local Government Hospital for the Gold Card. It seems they don't issue the Gold Card to Farang any more but we do get a laminated card that entitles us to free hospital care. They don't seem to charge the 30 baht anymore. No problems at all getting that for me at the Samchuk, Suphanburi Government Hospital. The only thing the administrator did pass on to me was if I traveled outside of this Province, stop by the Tessaban to get a 'visa' which allows me free care at other government hospitals in Thailand. :)

being married to a thai does not make you THAI

the 13 digit # on the yellow book is where the confusion starts

some hospitals get confused and think that is your thai national id # from your national id card that all thais have but it isn't

believe me enjoy it while you can but some day they will figure out the mistake and then the free ride will be over

you can always call 1330 and get the facts i did

I never claimed that "being married to a Thai" makes you THAI. If you read it properly, I asked it as a 'may be/question'. All I can say about the 13 digit number is that the confusion is nationwide and not isolated. I agree that there may be a mistake/confusion, but it's easily spotted in that Thai numbers start with #3, whereas farang start #6. Children start #1, I believe. Anyway that's all irrespective. The point is, they are giving farang free medical treatment, at this time. And if I can get it legally, as I do, then I will continue. No problem if it stops tomorrow. Life goes on.:)

Edited by sinbin

Here's another question to be raised if farangs aren't supposed to get 'free medical treatment'. What happens with a farang woman, married to a Thai, that's pregnant. Does she have to pay for all her pre & post natal treatment along with the cost of the birth ? After all when she gets her annual visa, she and her husband do not have to show money in a Thai bank account. Different rules for the sexes it appears. And if her treatment is free, then she has to have the medical card. Whoops, farangs can't have one. Just a thought.

Edited by sinbin

to be eligable for free medical in thailand there are 2 conditions

1 you must be thai

2 you must have a a 13 didget id number issued by the gov.

so i would say to all the farangs that are getting free medical to keep your mouth shut and enjoy the mistake that sombody made that is enabling you to recieve a benifit that you that is ot allowed

ps i started this discussion so ride the wave as long as you can because the yellow book does not give you this entitlment

Ref points 1 and 2: I don't know if it has changed recently because I haven't checked this year but... There was NO rule that you needed to be Thai and NO rule that you needed a 13 digit id number (when I checked and enrolled approx 18 months ago). The stupidity of it all was that there was NO rule limiting who could enrol and get the free health care in question. That has been the problem all the time, the rules enabled foreigners to get totally free health care the same as Thais did and that was not what was intended

Yes, of course they will say that but what is the rule today? NOT what 1330 says, they say what Chulalongkorn Hospital also said too, until my HR department kindly printed out a page from www.nhso.go.th. Funnily enough, the admin department at Chula Hospital in BKK just went on processing my request when I handed that and other papers (copy of PP etc) over. I have never used the privilege, it may be (or have been) free but sorry, waiting times are simply too long

Now, I admit that I don't know if the rules have changed now, I must also admit that I think that it is incorrect that foreigners who don't contribute (ie, pay tax) should get free health care

I think that it is incorrect that foreigners who don't contribute (ie, pay tax) should get free health care

No qualms here in that regard as the amount of money farang pump into the local economy is significant.

It's a moot point actually as how many farang want to wait in long lines for inferior health care than go to a private hospital? The saying Thais have re government hospitals is generally "if you are in ill health, you'll die faster at a govt. hospital".

Yes they are free of charge, but you have to get your passport translated and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. This is a requirement to obtaining the 'Yellow book''. That's the expensive part. If not done by the book, I've know of 2,000 Baht being passed under the table. Unfortunately they wouldn't go down that route where I live.

The guy in the Amphur where I live didn't ask for "under the table", didn't seem to know what it was all about and I suspect he didn't want to know or care if I got a yellow book or not. Not issuing it was much less work for him.

Saying that my wife and I have had no problems in dealing with other people in the Amphur.

to be eligible for free medical in Thailand there are 2 conditions

1 you must be Thai

2 you must have a a 13 digit id number issued by the gov.

so i would say to all the farangs that are getting free medical to keep your mouth shut and enjoy the mistake that somebody made that is enabling you to receive a benefit that you that is not allowed

ps i started this discussion so ride the wave as long as you can because the yellow book does not give you this entitlement

Ref points 1 and 2: I don't know if it has changed recently because I haven't checked this year but... There was NO rule that you needed to be Thai and NO rule that you needed a 13 digit id number (when I checked and enrolled approx 18 months ago). The stupidity of it all was that there was NO rule limiting who could enroll and get the free health care in question. That has been the problem all the time, the rules enabled foreigners to get totally free health care the same as Thais did and that was not what was intended

Yes, of course they will say that but what is the rule today? NOT what 1330 says, they say what Chulalongkorn Hospital also said too, until my HR department kindly printed out a page from www.nhso.go.th. Funnily enough, the admin department at Chula Hospital in BKK just went on processing my request when I handed that and other papers (copy of PP etc) over. I have never used the privilege, it may be (or have been) free but sorry, waiting times are simply too long

Now, I admit that I don't know if the rules have changed now, I must also admit that I think that it is incorrect that foreigners who don't contribute (ie, pay tax) should get free health care

I have just looked up the NHSO website and I couldn't get any sense from it.

Could you please let me know where this page is so that I can read it.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, of course they will say that but what is the rule today? NOT what 1330 says, they say what Chulalongkorn Hospital also said too, until my HR department kindly printed out a page from www.nhso.go.th.

Since you seem to work, given the fact you had your HR department look at issue, you could be better off and easier with the normal Social Security card which, if you continue the contribution after your retirement or resignation(6 months term for that!), is for life as well...

Could be better of because some private hospitals accept the SS card and easier because you pay for it and should have it already.... if you work for and not own the company as a sole director

Edited by jumbo

1 you must be Thai

so i would say to all the farangs that are getting free medical to keep your mouth shut and enjoy the mistake that somebody made that is enabling you to receive a benefit that you that is not allowed

ps i started this discussion so ride the wave as long as you can because the yellow book does not give you this entitlement

Ref points 1 and 2: I don't know if it has changed recently because I haven't checked this year but... There was NO rule that you needed to be Thai and NO rule that you needed a 13 digit id number (when I checked and enrolled approx 18 months ago). The stupidity of it all was that there was NO rule limiting who could enroll and get the free health care in question. That has been the problem all the time, the rules enabled foreigners to get totally free health care the same as Thais did and that was not what was intended

Thanks a lot.

Haven't got it myself any longer, I have asked HR again and will post when they reply

Yes, of course they will say that but what is the rule today? NOT what 1330 says, they say what Chulalongkorn Hospital also said too, until my HR department kindly printed out a page from www.nhso.go.th.

Since you seem to work, given the fact you had your HR department look at issue, you could be better off and easier with the normal Social Security card which, if you continue the contribution after your retirement or resignation(6 months term for that!), is for life as well...

Could be better of because some private hospitals accept the SS card and easier because you pay for it and should have it already.... if you work for and not own the company as a sole director

I don't own the company, I'm just a normal guy :)

I am lazy for now and I use the BUPA that the company provide, the short waiting times has really won my heart I must say

Thanks for the info on resignation, I'll certainly continue to pay when the company one day don't need me any longer

When obtaining my yellow book I was asked only for a MFA translation of my Embassy issued 'Letter of residence'. Nothing was said about translation of my passport. And there was certainly nothing under the table involved.

I was given no medical card of any description.

Not in Ubon. They have a form to transfer info from your passport. Done in 20 minutes and cost nothing. :)

I was given no medical card of any description.

You are not "given" it. You go to your nearest government hospital and ask for it, as you present your yellow book. For some unexplained reason it takes up to a month to process.

1 you must be Thai

Thanks a lot.

Haven't got it myself any longer, I have asked HR again and will post when they reply

OK thanks.

I applied for my yellow house registration book on the 8th of this month in Bangkok. A report was posted on another thread. It cost nothing, although certain documents required certification by the Embassy and Ministry of Foreign Affairs before hand and that was costly.

The fellow who handled my application was the head or deputy head of the house registration section so he knew his stuff. Without any prompting from me, he asked me why I had not gone for PR as in such case I would go in the blue house registration book and would have been able to avail myself of free healthcare. He noted that with the yellow book I got nothing apart from a record of my place of residence.

I do believe that those who have managed to get their universal healthcare cards based on their yellow books got them because the people handling the process did not know what they were doing.

1 you must be Thai

Thanks a lot.

The website is in any case intended for a Thai audience and thus hardly likely to state the policy with regard to non-citizens.

The NHSO is THE authority in this matter. Not hospitals, the NHSO-- the central office in Bkk. They know what they are saying.

It has never, ever, been the government's intention to have Thai tax payers subsidize the health care of foreigners. Why on earth would it be?

On the contrary, visa rules are set up to try to ensure that only foreigners who can fully support themselves, hopefully to the benefit of the local economy, get visas. Retirement visas are allowed solely because it is expected that well-off retirees will be a money-maker for the country.

Around last January there were articles in several major papers to the effect that the government was considering asking for proof of health insurance for retirement visas in future because government hospitals have been taking a loss on foreign retirees who can't fully pay their bills. (Little did they know some are being issued "gold cards" and riding the system for free altogether!).

Sooner or later, the central government will catch on that some hospitals have been providing gold cards to farang, and when they do, a directive will go out telling them to cease and desist.

I guarantee you, there will never be a change of rule making farangs eligible. The government has no reason to do such a thing and every reason not to. Look at it from their point of view: most farang have never paid Thai income tax, so why should they be entitled to a benefit paid for by Thai tax payers? Foreigners who have ever paid Thai income taxes, even for a brief period, would have done so because they were legally employed in which case they were covered by Social Security and still are if they had any sense. It's a great deal...work for any length of time and get very low cost health insurance guaranteed for life.

"Foreigners who have ever paid Thai income taxes, even for a brief period, would have done so because they were legally employed in which case they were covered by Social Security and still are if they had any sense. It's a great deal...work for any length of time and get very low cost health insurance guaranteed for life."

Sort of...

Not all legally employed persons are eligible for Social Security.

There is a 12 month requirement prior to being able to continue in the program after losing eligibility through employment.

After stopping payments through employment, you have to sign up and start paying on your own within 6 months, or you have to start over.

Payments on your own are ฿432 a month, and well worth it.

"...and still are if they had any sense."

I don't think it'as a lack of sense that keep people out of the system, it's a lack of knowledge about what they are eligible for.

I've found that many have anywhere from a misunderstanding of the system to a complete ignorance of it. Most just aren't given any/much information about what they can get in the way of benefits.

The website is in any case intended for a Thai audience and thus hardly likely to state the policy with regard to non-citizens.

The NHSO is THE authority in this matter. Not hospitals, the NHSO-- the central office in Bkk. They know what they are saying.

It has never, ever, been the government's intention to have Thai tax payers subsidize the health care of foreigners. Why on earth would it be?

On the contrary, visa rules are set up to try to ensure that only foreigners who can fully support themselves, hopefully to the benefit of the local economy, get visas. Retirement visas are allowed solely because it is expected that well-off retirees will be a money-maker for the country.

Around last January there were articles in several major papers to the effect that the government was considering asking for proof of health insurance for retirement visas in future because government hospitals have been taking a loss on foreign retirees who can't fully pay their bills. (Little did they know some are being issued "gold cards" and riding the system for free altogether!).

Sooner or later, the central government will catch on that some hospitals have been providing gold cards to farang, and when they do, a directive will go out telling them to cease and desist.

I guarantee you, there will never be a change of rule making farangs eligible. The government has no reason to do such a thing and every reason not to. Look at it from their point of view: most farang have never paid Thai income tax, so why should they be entitled to a benefit paid for by Thai tax payers? Foreigners who have ever paid Thai income taxes, even for a brief period, would have done so because they were legally employed in which case they were covered by Social Security and still are if they had any sense. It's a great deal...work for any length of time and get very low cost health insurance guaranteed for life.

Look at it from their point of view: most farang have never paid Thai income tax, so why should they be entitled to a benefit paid for by Thai tax payers?
Neither has the majority of rural Thais.

Sheryl, is there any cance you may be able to post a comment regarding post #42 ? No one has commented, and I'd love to know the answer.

Edited by sinbin

A few posters on this thread have indicated that farangs may clog up the Thai government hospitals if we are allowed to use them free of charge. That may be true, but in fact private hospitals in Thailand are the biggest threat to government hospitals.

Medical Tourism Creates Thai Doctor Shortage

http://www.npr.org/t...toryId=16735157 Edited by sinbin

Look at it from their point of view: most farang have never paid Thai income tax, so why should they be entitled to a benefit paid for by Thai tax payers?
Quote from Sheryl.

Quote from Bangkok Post.

Only 2.3m Thais pay income tax
That's out of a population of 64 million. Edited by sinbin

SINBIN.

in reply to some points you have raised.

The original "30 baht " system was started by the Thaksin Government, back in the early 2000's. In fact it was one of his first Populist points to come into force. After the coup in 2006 the new appointed Government stopped the 30 baht charge, and as of today there is no charge. However the present Govt. have already said that it will reintroduce the charge to help recoup some of the costs of the scheme. In the Govt. hospitals the now free system is still reffered to by Doctors and staff as the '30 baht system'. Several times when I have had to do the paper work for my wife I have been told by staff to get out the documents for the 30 baht scheme.

Remember you have to apply for acceptance into the 30 baht (or free) scheme. Just because you are registered at your Govt. hospital doesn't mean you can turn up, show your card see the doctor, and get free medical care. No doubt the rules for who will be accepted into the scheme will vary from hospital to hospital, but it is mean't for Thai people who have a low income or maybe they cannot met the cost of really expensive care.

The health system in Thailand would collapse in hours if all Thais were on a free medical system.Some are free with conditions, the rest pay the going rate which is much cheaper ( and they know this) than the Private Health Companies.

Go to any Govt. hospital and you will see Pay in windows in most departments, which are busy and usually queues, and some of the payees are paying huge sums of money.If all health care for the Thais was free why have pay in windows.? All Thais by the way.

In many visits to Siriraj in Bangkok I have yet to see a foreign patient or a foreigner paying a medical bill.

As an aside I go to Chula hospital every 3 months for cardiac follow up. Each day the heart clinic there sees over 450 patients, there are 3 pay in windows and I have only seen 2 foreigners in the clinic. Everybody who I see there, I presume, are like me and pay the going rate which Chula charges, which is so far below the Private hospitals that standing in a queue or waiting and hour to see the doctor is not a worry. I do not see many holding the papers that those in the "30 baht" system have to show when paying or collecting their medicine.

With regards to my wife being charged extra when using the "30 baht card". yes it does happen. During her stay in the hospital her chemo and now radiation treatments are free, but if a side problem like an upset tummy, develops they may charge for that medication as that is not what she is in for. I have 4 receipts here now, one 62 baht another 45 baht and a third

105 baht and a fourth15 baht, That's the total cost incurred for 1 chemo and 3 radiation treatments. If she was in the hospital, as a normal Thai paying patient, the chemo alone would have been in excess of 70,000 baht. She has used both systems and actually likes the " 30 baht " wards and care she gets, much better than the paying wards.

Spoke with a Swiss husband of a Thai.. he had spent over 2,000,000 baht on her cancer treatment at one of Bangkok's top private hospital, and they had chosen to go to Siriraj for her final days, true real care, and help for the 2 of them and it cost them nothing for her care which was far superior than she had got from a private Hospital.

Your comment that the private hospitals are the biggest threat to the Govt. hospitals is rather strange. They are so over priced, as reading on this forum will show and explain, and they will continue to build bigger, fancier, elaborate places that only the very rich or who have top quality health insurance will attend them. So that is a huge portion of the Thai people who will have no choice but to use their own Govt. hospitals. So the health system for Thais will improve, even if slowly, as long as the Government of the day continues to increase the health budget.......and that is another story.

BAYBOY