Want To Move To Thailand/open Bar

I am a 25 yr old male wanting to move to Thailand to open a bar. I have 5 million Baht in the bank. How can I get a visa to stay for 12 mths? What kind of visa do I have to apply for? What are the requirements? Can I extend this visa after 12 mths? Can I get a work permit/business license with this type of visa? Sorry for all the questions but I am lost in where to begin. Also do I have to leave Thailand every 3 mths to get this visa? Oh yeah one other thing, I am from Canada with a Canadian passport.

Thanks

Edited by srampersaud1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a 25 yr old male wanting to move to Thailand to open a bar. I have 5 million Baht in the bank. How can I get a visa to stay for 12 mths? What kind of visa do I have to apply for? What are the requirements? Can I extend this visa after 12 mths? Can I get a work permit/business license with this type of visa? Sorry for all the questions but I am lost in where to begin. Also do I have to leave Thailand every 3 mths to get this visa? Oh yeah one other thing, I am from Canada with a Canadian passport.

Thanks

Go for it, kid... at the very least you'll have a 50 year age advantage on average (it seems) over most other falang bar owners.

:o

Thanks

Go for it, kid... at the very least you'll have a 50 year age advantage on average (it seems) over most other falang bar owners.

:o

Not this one :D

Why is that?

Well

i) Mai Thai Bar is very successful and I cant see the owner selling for your sort of money. You might just get a bar in Soi Eric but I've seen bars there that have never had a customer in the 100+ times I've been down there.

ii) There are thousands of bars in Patong, Not every business can be successful, probably 20% make any sort of decent profit. Its like any business, whats going to differentiate your bar from the other 100 bars next door?

In that case you will need a work permit to keep 100% control of it, You 49% managing director, thai shareholders 51% with their shares signed over to you, Also-

2 million baht company

4 thai employee's registered for social insurance.

Yourself paying salary tax and insurance every month = around 6000bht per month.

Before that of course you have to get a non imm B, then a work permit, THEN a one year visa and thats if they will issue you one.

Also you need to register the bar, get the licenses and have a thai licensee :o

(over 100000bht just for paperwork)

Edited by davethailand

What you really need to think about is

"Will the bar provide you with a reasonable living AFTER you've paid all of the bills"?

Paperwork is the easy bit, it is'nt worth getting set up legally for a year if the bar is'nt going to be to pay for it. :o

How many times have you been to Thailand?

Has anyone heard of renting a bar. Would they give a visa for that? Why does a business have to be 2million?

Really all bars are rented as you will often never be able to own the land, you normally buy the lease for however long (key money) and then pay rent every month.

2 million bht is the requirement company capital to obtain a work permit.

Edited by davethailand

Have not got a bar lined up yet still doing research on what and where. They try to sell you the key for a fee then they charge you monthly rental. The ladies I believe work for free unless they are drop dead gorgeous. Do you know if I would have to pay police or mafia someone mentioned that to me in a conversation.