One Way Ticket To Los

I just rang a travel company about a one-way ticket to Bangkok from London and he said you can not obtail a one-way ticket.

Is this true, do you need a return?

I plan on living and working in LOS in feb, so what visa would I need before and would that allow me to buy just a one-way ticket?

Thanks!

about 4 years ago i bought a one-way to LOS, had a job lined up, but only a tourist visa, get the ticket no problem, but they didn't want to let me on the plane, had to blag it at the airport, thats the real risk, the airlines are responsible if let you on the plane without a return ticket and you get refused entry at LOS. Had a similar experience in Sydney, had return flight from BKK to SYD and on the return they wanted to see my visa and WP before they checked me in.

Provided that you have a VISA (any type of visa) you should be able to get a 1 way (I did last christmas).

Should is the operative word. Some airlines are paranoid about 1 way tickets. However if they will sell you one they ought to let you fly.

I flew Royal Jordanian Heathrow -- Amman -- Bangkok with no problems at all (they asked to see my visa at check-in).

Do you have a job lined up? If so you can get a non-immigrant B visa (check out the website of the Thai embassy in London for details of the paperwork required).

Otherwise you may be able to obtain a non-O from the consulate in Hull (NOT London) on the grounds of visiting friends or studying Buddism and culture. The Hull website has information. There have been a couple of reports recently that this avenue has been closed, maybe you could be our guinea pig :o

Otherwise you will be able to get a tourist visa no problem.

Any non-immigrant visa will allow you to get a work permit, tourist visas do not.

Enjoy LoS.

Just for observation..

It is not just one-way tickets where you need a valid visa. You can also have problems when you have bought a return ticket in Thailand and are using the return portion to get back into Thailand. There is usually no problem within Asia, but return flights I have taken from both Europe and N.America have asked to see my visa before allowing me to check-in.

Just for observation..

It is not just one-way tickets where you need a valid visa. You can also have problems when you have bought a return ticket in Thailand and are using the return portion to get back into Thailand. There is usually no problem within Asia, but return flights I have taken from both Europe and N.America have asked to see my visa before allowing me to check-in.

Same problem. No confirmed outbound ticket, so a visa is needed.

Just for observation..

That is due to the 30 day rule - flight out of Thailand within 30 days for visa free entry. You do not need a visa if your flight onward is within 30 days.

One-way tickets ex-USA to BKK from some but not all carriers are ~ 60% of a round-trip ticket. Years ago one-way tickets were sometimes 80% or even 120% the price of a round-trip ticket but this is no longer the case.

Example:

SFO-BKK 18 Jan 06 China Airlines $474 all in

SFO-BKK-SFO 18 Jan 06/18 Feb 06 China Airlines $822 all in

From first-hand acquaintances, I know that United Airlines is very picky about allowing travel for passengers holding one-way tickets ex-USA to BKK. They usually deny boarding, but do suggest that the passenger consider purchasing a fully-refundable one-way ticket, say BKK-SIN on TG (issued on the spot by UA on UA ticket stock), for travel within 30 days of arrival in BKK. Once this ticket is issued they allow boarding as their liability as such has been transferred to the passenger, and TG. Of course the traveler is free to cancel that ticket at any time and obtain a full refund.

I've flown ex-USA to BKK on UA, on 90-day itineraries, and I have a supporting visa, but I do not believe UA ever looks at my visa page when they swipe my passport? Maybe that information is in a database somewhere? I've also returned to BKK from/via Europe, and so ending my trip in Thailand. I've only ever been challenged once, FRA-BKK on TG. I had to show a printout of a separate itinerary showing an onward flight out of Thailand within the applicable period of my visa.

I’ve been living in Thailand for over a year now (on a 30 day tourist visa) after a couple of years in Singapore. Every month I fly Bangkok – Amsterdam – Kazakhstan return. My last leg is always the end of the ticket, i.e no onward flight from Thailand. I’ve never had any problems (maybe I’ve just been lucky).

FYI. China Airlines economy open return (valid for 6 months) is the same price as a normal economy return.

I just rang a travel company about a one-way ticket to Bangkok from London and he said you can not obtail a one-way ticket.

Is this true, do you need a return?

I plan on living and working in LOS in feb, so what visa would I need before and would that allow me to buy just a one-way ticket?

Thanks!

I came back to LOS 3 months ago on one way ticket, e-ticket, purchased from e-bookers, Qantas flight(BA). I watched to see if they looked at my visa page, they didn't and no questions asked. Probably a case of what side of the bed they got out of.

The rule is very clear. Everybody visiting Thailand needs a visa.

One of the exceptions, if you hold a p/port issued by 40 countries and one area, totaly 41 nationalities, you may visit Thailand as tourist for a max. stay of 30 days and will be visa-exempted.

If you have no visa, the airline requires a ticket with a confirmed flight out out of Thailand within 30 days.

If you have a visa, or a re-entry permit, no outbound ticket is required.

Very clear and correct post Axel.

This does not mean that some have not gotten away in the past with coming in without an outbound ticket and without a proper visa. And still some may get lucky in the future. However in these days of tighter security and closer scrutiny you very much run the risk of being put back on a plane to where you originated or to your home country if you no longer have proper documents for re-entry to where you started from. Then you have to buy a new ticket and start again.

Regarding tickets I have been in charge of buying airline tickets for an international non-profit organization for 20 years and one constant rule is that all rules are subject to change. Usually (but by no means always) your best deals can be bought from a good consolidator. However, some times the airlines run a sale that consolidators can not touch. Usually, these days, a one way is cheaper than a roundtrip if you only need to go one way, but again not always. Return ticket prices are usually also pegged to the time validity of the ticket, the shorter validity being the cheaper deal. Validities can range from a weekend to 1 year (though most international tickets are usually valid for at least 30 days.

So, when buying tickets always check with at least 2 reputable consolidators and at least 2 airlines. Check both over the phone and online. There are sometimes deals online that are not available over the phone. And if your visa staus requires a roundtrip ticket, get it, unless you are fine with throwing away the cost of a ticket and the time involved in being deported.

Considering the small saving if any you would get with a one way ticket, and the costs of getting a B visa or some other, and the insecurity of not being sure you will even be allowed to travel, it would seem to me a bad idea. Besides then if for some reason you do need to return you have that option.

EVA Airways gave me a hard time in Vienna Airport a few days ago when trying to board on the return part of my Bangkok-Vienna Ticket.

The guy that did check the returns/Visas had obviously not read Thaivisa.com!

I am here on a 1-Year extension of an O Visa I got earlier this Year in Denpasar. I also had a reentry-permit.

But because the Original Visa was stamped "used" as well as out of date, and he was not really into reading the (sometimes almost illegible) writings on my various Thai Passport stamps, and also seemingly unaware of Reentry Permits, he intended to deny me access to the plane. It took me more than an hour and conversations with various other officials to be finally admitted to the plane.

No problem in Bangkok, as anticipated.

Sunny

EVA Airways gave me a hard time in Vienna Airport a few days ago when trying to board on the return part of my Bangkok-Vienna Ticket.

The guy that did check the returns/Visas had obviously not read Thaivisa.com!

I am here on a 1-Year extension of an O Visa I got earlier this Year in Denpasar. I also had a reentry-permit.

But because the Original Visa was stamped "used" as well as out of date, and he was not really into reading the (sometimes almost illegible) writings on my various Thai Passport stamps, and also seemingly unaware of Reentry Permits, he intended to deny me access to the plane. It took me more than an hour and conversations with various other officials to be finally admitted to the plane.

No problem in Bangkok, as anticipated.

Sunny

On both occasions that I have checked in at Manchester this year, flying with Qatar Airways, I have been challenged by the check-in staff because I had presented the retutn portion of a ticket issued in Thailand, in effect a one way ticket to them. I also have an OA (Retirement) Visa and had valid re-entry permits for both trips. On the first occasion the check in clerk called the supervisor over, I happily explained the visa and re-entry permit and he went away rejoicing. On the second occasion the check in clerk, not the same one, also challenged me on the same subject, but quickly went back into her shell when I said, in a rather sharp voice, get the supervisor. She then took a closer look at my visa and re-entry permit then decided that discretion was the better part of valor. In fairness to Qatar Airways I must point out that the check in staff were those of their handling agents and not those of the airline itself. Qatar Airways have every right to expect their handling agents to be aware of such matters.

I've only flown with EVA once, from Heathrow to Bangkok and return. I was initailly told that I couldn't travel because I didn't have a visa and I had to explain to them that UK passport holders got a 15 day (now 30) entry on arrival stamp. I was rather taken aback by the clerks lack of knowledge on such a basic matter.

When I flew out here to live I had a single ticket with China Airlines. I checked in at Humberside, (UK) for the connecting flight to Amsterdam without any questions at all.

Edited by Nuff Said