Sleeper Train - Power For Laptop?

mrireland

The first-class sleeper cabins from BKK to Nong Khai have a single power point above the door, assume the same rolling stock for CM (?).

If you have only a short power adapter or want to, say, charge your phone at the same time, take an extension block with you.

Edited by phaethon

It's hit or miss I've found. The ones where they have you in little rooms off to the side, do. The ones where the bunks are lined up along the walls, don't.

So, the first class cabins do, but the second class don't.

No, there are 2nd class ones that have little rooms (well, no doors or anything, but it's like a four person cabin with a wall missing).

I remember their being one power socket in the second class sleeper, cant remember the seat number but i remember it being half way down the carriage, by second class i mean the sleeper air con carriage, not the first class with single rooms available and i think the train is the special express.

TB

There are Li-ion battery packs made for medical equipment and laptops, they are smallish and can run for 12 hours or so with a quick 5-6 hour recharge, however they are available in USA but I haven't found anywhere selling them in Thailand.

How will you get a signal anyway, edge will be dropping in and out non stop, no?

There are Li-ion battery packs made for medical equipment and laptops, they are smallish and can run for 12 hours or so with a quick 5-6 hour recharge, however they are available in USA but I haven't found anywhere selling them in Thailand.

How will you get a signal anyway, edge will be dropping in and out non stop, no?

A few months ago they had a launch display in IT City for this range of portable charger from Enegizer:

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/th/products/

I found pretty usable edge connectivity once I had left Bangkok's 3G area (about and hour out) from BKK to Nong Khai, though I did sleep for the middle six hours, so can't speak for darkest Isaan.

It's hit or miss I've found. The ones where they have you in little rooms off to the side, do. The ones where the bunks are lined up along the walls, don't.

So, the first class cabins do, but the second class don't.

As someone else already observed, second class has these "rooms" too, but they're not private like the first class ones are.

I'm still a newbie to Thailand but I have been on the trains now a dozen times, and only twice was I ever put in these "rooms". One time it had a sliding door, the other time it did not. Both times it had outlets. Whereas I never had an outlet in the bunk class. But always second class was air-conditioned, and sometimes the air-conditioning is set to kill so the outlets are really missed because I could otherwise plug in the laptop, set it to run a screensaver that makes it work hard, and huddle around it for warmth.

Despite all of this however, I prefer the bunks. Somebody passes gas in the bunk car and it quickly dissipates. Whereas in the "room" and with the door closed you're in for a bit of agony, and at least when I travel I've got my luggage and stuff in there so it's a big pain-in-the-ass to get out of my little berth, climb down the stairette, and open the door for air.

The 17.55 from chiang mai does have a couple (2) of sockets above the lower bunk in the middle of the carriage, but you will have to fight with the mobile phones.

But if you take one of those small, 3 way adaptors you can unplug someone else, plug yourself and them back in and still leave a space for another person.

Yes, my last CM - BKK trip was on the train with the aisle on one side and a "room" on the opposite side. And there was an outlet :)

There are no ticket barriers at Hua Lumpong, you can turn up any day an hour before departure and mooch around the carriages, then go buy tickets based on your findings.

If tickets are available. They always seem to be sold out for 1st and 2nd class... the shortest interval between buying such a ticket and riding on the train is two days in my experience.

There are no ticket barriers at Hua Lumpong, you can turn up any day an hour before departure and mooch around the carriages, then go buy tickets based on your findings.

If tickets are available. They always seem to be sold out for 1st and 2nd class... the shortest interval between buying such a ticket and riding on the train is two days in my experience.

Yes I was suggesting a special trip to HL, if it would be convenient, days or weeks in advance of travel.

Yes I was suggesting a special trip to HL, if it would be convenient, days or weeks in advance of travel.

I don't think they always run the same type of equipment every time. I've always been on a bunk-style, 2nd class aircon but I've seen those newer cars with the aisle down one side and rooms of four for 2nd class aircon. Don't know how they decide which type to use for which run. Personally, I'm not looking forward to trying those newer cars with the 4 person rooms, because you sleep oriented across the track, rather than oriented with the track in the older style bunk-car. That's the same orientation as 1st class and I just don't sleep as well when I take 1st class because of the motion of the train.

I don't think they always run the same type of equipment every time. I've always been on a bunk-style, 2nd class aircon but I've seen those newer cars with the aisle down one side and rooms of four for 2nd class aircon. Don't know how they decide which type to use for which run. Personally, I'm not looking forward to trying those newer cars with the 4 person rooms, because you sleep oriented across the track, rather than oriented with the track in the older style bunk-car. That's the same orientation as 1st class and I just don't sleep as well when I take 1st class because of the motion of the train.

Yes, I don't care for that either. There's the sensation that you could be thrown out of your bunk at any moment, and there are times when the train comes to a sudden hard stop where those sensations get reinforced.

And I have had different cars for the same run at the same scheduled time, so I too don't think preflighting your trip will do any good.

OP may want to consider the battery suggestion. I have an iPad that seems to only get used when I travel, partly on account of its ten hour battery life. It is also possible to sleep on these trains, have conversations with your 'roommates', or enjoy the countryside (which on the Chiang Mai side of the trip is quite lovely).

• 8 months later...

Used to be CM BKK you had to book first class sleeper a lot in advance at the station and pay in advance. ie No phone reservations. It is a nice way to travel with your lady but the bunk cars are more fun if you want to socialize.

A few months ago they had a launch display in IT City for this range of portable charger from Enegizer:

http://www.energizer...om/th/products/

I found pretty usable edge connectivity once I had left Bangkok's 3G area (about and hour out) from BKK to Nong Khai, though I did sleep for the middle six hours, so can't speak for darkest Isaan.

The energizer chargers are only good for half a lap top charge each time, they will do a full charge on an iPhone. Try a power gorilla, bit more expensive but will do 3-4 full charges on a lap top, 4-5 on an iPad.

I have seen outlets at floor level in the second class carriages (Thai's tend to use them for boiling water or 'knocking up' some rice), best bet is to go 1st class even then not guaranteed to work!

Off topic slightly but at the moment the trains are running at least 3 hrs late (both ways), if you have to be somewhere on time the best bet is to decamp at Rungsit or Bang Sue (depending on what part of BKK you need) and jump in a taxi.

Off topic slightly but at the moment the trains are running at least 3 hrs late (both ways), if you have to be somewhere on time the best bet is to decamp at Rungsit or Bang Sue (depending on what part of BKK you need) and jump in a taxi.

Is that three hours in addition to the 1-2 hour usual lateness or is it all inclusive? biggrin.png

David