Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here?

Jimi007

So, are you bitching or moaning about people moaning and bitching? Or moaning and bitching about people bitching or moaning? :whistling:

Exactly Shot!

Methinks the expressions everyones entitled to an opinion and freedom of speech is a democratic right apply here OP oh,and also the common if you dont want to read it aha and etc :annoyed: you must know that one Jimi

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This social network forum is the perfect place to air your grievances and discuss the problems with others hopefully with the aim of improving things.

That would be great if it were true. However, all the moaners and wingers on forums never, ever ask 'What can we do to improve this problem'. That sentiment or any positive spin on the issue is never involved. It's moaning for the sake of moaning quite simply because they have nothing better to do with their time. If there was a genuine desire to improve something by using a forum to share ideas and get things happening, then great, but please don't kid yourself that is ever the case.

The pro radicals, with their heads in the sand pretending it's a perfect world (Island),

By far the most common defence for moaners on forums is that everybody else has 'Rose coloured specs' and 'has their heads in the sand' and think the island is perfect. Classic shifting of the blame. Please give me links to posts where people say the island is faultless and perfect. I think you'll only find posts were people say they love Phuket and love living here, which is not even close to being the same thing.

The simple fact is that we all know what problems Phuket has. It just affects some people a lot more than others and some people get a kick out of airing their gripes to strangers on a forum. I'm fairly sure that if there was some way to measure it there would be a direct relationship between people who moan on forums and their general levels of happiness and fulfillment in their lives. As somebody else hinted, retirement aged men drinking beer during the day (every day) does spring to mind.

By far the most common defence for moaners on forums is that everybody else has 'Rose coloured specs' and 'has their heads in the sand' and think the island is perfect. Classic shifting of the blame. Please give me links to posts where people say the island is faultless and perfect. I think you'll only find posts were people say they love Phuket and love living here, which is not even close to being the same thing.

Hear. Hear. :thumbsup:

Even the kon thai dont seem to like it. My wife has many many friends there and all seem to be unhappy and move and moved and plan to move as soon as possible, unless you can make money on the falangs, then that is your paradise :lol:

If your wifes friends are not happy maybe they could try living in the UK, they will then find out what unhappiness truly is!!!

Not sure as I live in the UK it doesnt seem to be bad. But I didnt mention my wife likes it :lol: I wonder why she likes Phuket

The more time one spends on the internet the less they spend living life, hence the complaining. Personally, Phuket is not my favorite place but my work is here and I need to support my family. Are there things here I don't like? Yes, Are there things I do like? Yes. Given a choice between focusing on the bad or good, my attitude will reflect where I focus my attention. I love Thailand, I tolerate Phuket. I love Thai people, I tolerate tourists.

I love Thailand, I tolerate Phuket. I love Thai people, I tolerate tourists.

I still love Phuket, but I have come to barely tolerate tourists, especially Russian tourists. So my Fix? Ignore them :)

ouch watch their face when the places I am regular customer serve me first despite having a long arguing que of Russians :lol: :lol:

I still love Phuket, but I have come to barely tolerate tourists, especially Russian tourists. So my Fix? Ignore them :)

ouch watch their face when the places I am regular customer serve me first despite having a long arguing que of Russians :lol: :lol:

I fail to see the difference between this post and another regarding people of Jewish extraction. Of course the post regarding the Jews was removed...but its ok to rubbish Russians and Thais?

I fail to see the difference between this post and another regarding people of Jewish extraction. Of course the post regarding the Jews was removed...but its ok to rubbish Russians and Thais?

I didnt separate jewish russians from katholic, protestant or atheist russians, just state I do not like bully, loud, noisy russian tourists, neither on he beach, in the streets at hotels in shoppincenters or in PEGAS vehicles. So my fix is to ignore them :)

On the other hand I have Russian expat friends

Its a fact all Thomas Cook/Ving/Startour hotels are not allowed to have Russian guests, if so they cansell their Scandianian, UK and Euro business

This social network forum is the perfect place to air your grievances and discuss the problems with others hopefully with the aim of improving things.

That would be great if it were true. However, all the moaners and wingers on forums never, ever ask 'What can we do to improve this problem'. That sentiment or any positive spin on the issue is never involved. It's moaning for the sake of moaning quite simply because they have nothing better to do with their time. If there was a genuine desire to improve something by using a forum to share ideas and get things happening, then great, but please don't kid yourself that is ever the case.

The pro radicals, with their heads in the sand pretending it's a perfect world (Island),

The simple fact is that we all know what problems Phuket has. It just affects some people a lot more than others and some people get a kick out of airing their gripes to strangers on a forum. I'm fairly sure that if there was some way to measure it there would be a direct relationship between people who moan on forums and their general levels of happiness and fulfillment in their lives. As somebody else hinted, retirement aged men drinking beer during the day (every day) does spring to mind.

At the risk of exposing my terrible television viewing habits isn't MickyJames a female wresler on the WWE? I guess what works for one might be good for another. :rolleyes:

Do you think coming back with yet another different nik will disguise your same old tired arguements?

I didnt separate jewish russians from katholic, protestant or atheist russians, just state I do not like bully, loud, noisy russian tourists, neither on he beach, in the streets at hotels or in PEGAS vehicles

Its a fact all Thomas Cook hotels are not allowed to have Russian guests, if so they cansell their Scandianian and UK business

Its cool...Im just curious as to why some people are open slather and others arent...its the same with muslims. They are fair game

Wait a sec, from why people complain and stay, to bashing certain ethnicities? I fail to follow.

And regarding the Jewish thread I do apologize if anyone was offended by my Jewish jokes, didn't mean any harm.

Back to 007Jimi's OP, I just think no matter where you are there will always be the glass half full people, and the glass half empty. I've always viewed this Forum as a bunch of us sitting around a bar shooting the sh*t, and probably in that conversation we'd start wanking about all the stuff that bugs us here, but not necessarily enough to say "I'm outta here" unless snamos shows up with a really ugly girl and says she's hot then we know he's had a few too many, ha, ha, might make me outta here on the bar but not Phuket per se.

Anyway, as with my Fine Phuket Day thread, we've got another on tap today, may all of you enjoy and steer clear of the riders coming the wrong direction in your lane.

I didnt separate jewish russians from katholic, protestant or atheist russians, just state I do not like bully, loud, noisy russian tourists, neither on he beach, in the streets at hotels in shoppincenters or in PEGAS vehicles. So my fix is to ignore them :)

On the other hand I have Russian expat friends

Its a fact all Thomas Cook/Ving/Startour hotels are not allowed to have Russian guests, if so they cansell their Scandianian, UK and Euro business

I'm incredulous that you think Thomas Cook etc would discriminate against guests on the basis of nationality, so where are your 'facts'? In November 2010, Thomas Cook entered into a Joint Venture with the leading Russian travel entity, Intourist, which doesn't quite support your statement. The majority of Russians are not seasoned travellers, so as with the instance of the Chinese, tend to book package holidays and group tours which of course will offer specific accommodation. The more experienced (and wealthy) Russians will go independently to the high end resorts.

For those involved in the tourist/hospitality trade here in Phuket, the Russian influx of tourists must have come as a 'godsend'. The primary reason for Thailand's increased popularity amongst Russians (apart from their still expanding economy, broadening transportation options) is that Thailand offers Russians visa on arrival, same as most other countries. Not the case in Europe, where either a UK specific or Schengen visa is required.

At the risk of exposing my terrible television viewing habits isn't MickyJames a female wresler on the WWE? I guess what works for one might be good for another. :rolleyes:

Haven't a clue, I'll have to ask my eight year old. :whistling:

Do you think coming back with yet another different nik will disguise your same old tired arguements?

As for the first part???? As for the second, I think you should re-read the thread. It would appear only you thought my arguement was old & tired. A lot of people seem to agree with me wouldn't you say?

Are you making any progress with those links? All the hot air on these forums about rose tinted glasses and sticking heads in the sand yet no links!! Who are these mysterious people who say Phuket is perfect and without fault?

I've always viewed this Forum as a bunch of us sitting around a bar shooting the sh*t, and probably in that conversation we'd start wanking about all the stuff that bugs us here

That's the nail on the head and why forums should never be thought of as an accurate glimpse in to the personalities of the expat population.

This island is crawling with young people, people with families, people who have careers here, people who have small businesses, large businesses, Farang married to Farang, Farang woman married to Thai men, people with diverse interesting fulfilling lives. Yet in your own words this forum is the cyber space equivelent of a bunch of old farts sitting round a bar drinking chang at 1pm talking, (again in your own words) <deleted>.

So to answer the OP's question as simply as can be. Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here? They don't. Everyone likes living here, it's just that some people are moaners and some people aren't. It's as simple as that.

I've always viewed this Forum as a bunch of us sitting around a bar shooting the sh*t, and probably in that conversation we'd start wanking about all the stuff that bugs us here

That's the nail on the head and why forums should never be thought of as an accurate glimpse in to the personalities of the expat population.

This island is crawling with young people, people with families, people who have careers here, people who have small businesses, large businesses, Farang married to Farang, Farang woman married to Thai men, people with diverse interesting fulfilling lives. Yet in your own words this forum is the cyber space equivelent of a bunch of old farts sitting round a bar drinking chang at 1pm talking, (again in your own words) <deleted>.

So to answer the OP's question as simply as can be. Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here? They don't. Everyone likes living here, it's just that some people are moaners and some people aren't. It's as simple as that.

And you cant stay away from the old farts drinking Chang can you BTB?

So resurrection is not a Christian myth after all.

I agree the forum can be a bit like friends/acquaintances sitting around having a chat over a drink or 10. Opinions are just like the hole in our backside, we all have one. However, there are those who have great big pots with equally great big spoons.

For me the good side of Phuket & Thailand in general far outweigh any negatives but I feel I am entitled to complain on occasion without being told to pack up & go home.

So resurrection is not a Christian myth after all.

I agree the forum can be a bit like friends/acquaintances sitting around having a chat over a drink or 10. Opinions are just like the hole in our backside, we all have one. However, there are those who have great big pots with equally great big spoons.

For me the good side of Phuket & Thailand in general far outweigh any negatives but I feel I am entitled to complain on occasion without being told to pack up & go home.

Your last line is perfect.

Nothing wrong with venting frustrations online without being called a whiner.

Its funny that jimi007 makes a thread whining about a man wanting banana leaves on 'his' land but then creates this whine thread complaining about whiners on the forum.

Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.

These threads can be both hilarious and tedious... There is a scientific reason why we have these debates, we are programmed to (really, really) like the things we like and disproportionately dis the things we don't like. Click here for a primer!

I don't think the word 'We' is appropriate. That may be the case for a lot of forum users, but it certainly isn't the case for normal balanced people in the real world. Most people understand it's 'horses for courses'.

Nothing wrong with venting frustrations online without being called a whiner.

I'm not saying people should go to prison for it but It is a little pointless and unnecessary. Why not do it with your friends down the pub instead of complete strangers? I like to moan as well, but it's my wifes job to listen to it not a bunch of strangers on a forum.

I agree the forum can be a bit like friends/acquaintances sitting around having a chat over a drink or 10.

If that were true then I would feel very sorry for you. People on forums argue like a bunch of spotty teenagers seeing who can pee highest up the wall. I don't think that's what it's like when you go out for a couple of beers with your friends some how.

These threads can be both hilarious and tedious... There is a scientific reason why we have these debates, we are programmed to (really, really) like the things we like and disproportionately dis the things we don't like. Click here for a primer!

I don't think the word 'We' is appropriate. That may be the case for a lot of forum users, but it certainly isn't the case for normal balanced people in the real world. Most people understand it's 'horses for courses'.

I think its v appropriate to a certain extent.

Human nature allows us to accept the odd inconvenience from a particular source, but go way 'OTT' if other things then 'crop up'. I've seen it in action and could only watch in amazement (on holiday elsewhere).

But having said this, I agree that of course its 'horses for courses'.

I also think that the reason so many of us moan and grumble on this forum is to save boring our friends!

I also think that the reason so many of us moan and grumble on this forum is to save boring our friends!

:D You don't want to bore your friends but you are happy to bore complete strangers?? Then get the hump when they moan about it!

A little selfish don't you think? You need to moan to make yourself feel better, you don't want to burden your friends so you head to the nearest forum.

I think what you say is probably true, and is one of the reasons so many forums are so dire.

:D You don't want to bore your friends but you are happy to bore complete strangers?? Then get the hump when they moan about it!

A little selfish don't you think? You need to moan to make yourself feel better, you don't want to burden your friends so you head to the nearest forum.

I think what you say is probably true, and is one of the reasons so many forums are so dire.

Well im at work BTB, and my mates on the boat are all out of Thailand stories, So i like to keep my finger on the pulse so to speak, the other reason I like this forum is you do get some great information out of it...like good places to wine and dine. Shops that I wouldnt know existed if they werent mentioned here.... I dont have much to whinge about...just the usual things that annoy me...suit vendors, lack of public transport, volunteer cops and tuk tuks.

Well im at work BTB, and my mates on the boat are all out of Thailand stories, So i like to keep my finger on the pulse so to speak, the other reason I like this forum is you do get some great information out of it...like good places to wine and dine. Shops that I wouldnt know existed if they werent mentioned here.... I dont have much to whinge about...just the usual things that annoy me...suit vendors, lack of public transport, volunteer cops and tuk tuks.

I would have to agree with you snamos. I find out where to get a good pizza or something else. Sometimes it's pretty amusing as well. But every time there is any crime thread about Phuket, the whole place sure gets a bashing...

I would have to agree with you snamos. I find out where to get a good pizza or something else. Sometimes it's pretty amusing as well. But every time there is any crime thread about Phuket, the whole place sure gets a bashing...

Nobody could deny there is a lot of good info to be gained from this forum, and an ocasional bit of good humour. But imagine how much better it would be without all the moaners using it as free therapy. ;)

I like "moaning" threads. Makes things interesting. I can chip in why I agree, or disagree.

Then, of course, I. like everyone else can choose not to read a thread I don't like.

It also gives a little bit of an insight into the personality of the poster. It's interesting to see what bothers people. Somethings people moan about, I have no problem with and vice versa.

If every thread was a "Gee, isn't this place wonderful" kinda thread, it would be a lot more boring.

Keep it up moaners, to moan is to be human.

Edited by KarenBravo

The "we" refers to humankind (I'm guessing "we" all fall into that category?) and the studies cover everyone from children to adults (and capuchin monkeys!). I'm also guessing you didn't bother to read the link prior to posting... ;)