Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here?

Jimi007

I can just see myself outside 7/11 with a brown paper bag lol thought about paying the year up front but I already pay less than the Russians next door so I am a happy Bunny, never

been one for pub crawls, I am very happy with the couple of places I frequent, always happy to pick up a few cans of Leo, Archer is a good cheap beer to, I could sit outside on my

newly bought concrete chair. happy days!! :D all my spare coins goes in the piggy bank of my ready made family's youngest member !!

And that comment about "a brown paper bag" indicates to me that you don't actually live here.

NOBODY feels the need to use "a brown paper bag", even in the morning.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 off topic posts removed (members having a go at each other). Ok folks, you have had your fun this morning, time to get out for some fresh air.

The air is fresh as down at ka naeng. Pretty sure i won't bump into any of the 40 baht beer crew here

Edited by snamos

Course you can get ripped off in a 711. There are threads about it.

Do you check your change?

Now you mention it - no. As long as I'm getting the right number of 100 baht notes I haven't checked the rest of the change.

But I will in future!

I do not claim to be a saint or without sin or incident, I once paid 10 bht for air because the old man told my gf falang have many money lol I had a motorbike crash when I first came to Thailand accident free since, I am sure I have been ripped off but I am unaware of it apart from the odd few bht here and there, still waiting to hear from a certain poster how it is he thinks I am being ripped of in places like 7/11 etc

And you are right no one is immune.. :)

And depressingly, that's the point... I used to shop at the local market as I preferred to give my money to local people rather than 'big corporations', UNTIL I was charged OTT prices a few times...

I now prefer to use the 'big corporations' (Tesco, 7/11 etc.) as I know I will not be ripped off :(.

Never heard of cartels and pricefixing huh?

you may pay the sticker price..but you are definately being ripped off......would rather pay the locals a little more ,than some multinational conglomerate...:ph34r:

I do not claim to be a saint or without sin or incident, I once paid 10 bht for air because the old man told my gf falang have many money lol I had a motorbike crash when I first came to Thailand accident free since, I am sure I have been ripped off but I am unaware of it apart from the odd few bht here and there, still waiting to hear from a certain poster how it is he thinks I am being ripped of in places like 7/11 etc

And you are right no one is immune.. :)

And depressingly, that's the point... I used to shop at the local market as I preferred to give my money to local people rather than 'big corporations', UNTIL I was charged OTT prices a few times...

I now prefer to use the 'big corporations' (Tesco, 7/11 etc.) as I know I will not be ripped off :(.

Never heard of cartels and pricefixing huh?

you may pay the sticker price..but you are definately being ripped off......would rather pay the locals a little more ,than some multinational conglomerate...:ph34r:

As I said in a previous post, I agree that I would far prefer to pay the locals than some conglomerate. BUT, I paid over the top in the local market once too often and was seriously annoyed!

You're also right that the conglomerates make huge profits but, they are still often cheaper.

There are a few 'mom and pop' stores that I use whenever possible as experience has shown me that they don't 'take the piss'.

Renting my house and I pay the same price as my Thai neighbour..

Good move...maybe you are the most savvy poster of them all

This is my opinion, you should not buy a house in Thailand unless you can afford to lose it all. plus if you have a big problem with neighbors you are stuck with the problem, as I say my opinion only!!

you should also not lie down, especially not on a bed, mattress or blanket. it is a well known fact that this is most dangerous because most people die in that position. :whistling:

What a load of rubbish are you seing a different Thailand to me? covert whats that all about never had a problem here!!

Kenny, although I disagree with you when you say you have never been treated like a tourist (I fail to see what else you would have been treated as, when you stepped off the plane for the first time) I am in agreement with you about most other things.

What you need to realise is YOU are the normal one when it comes to your experience of Phuket, and the vast majority of people that live in Phuket DO live their lives without any issues what so ever. It's just highly typical of a forum (or should I say the loud minority of a forum) to try and make you feel like you're the crazy one for not having issues and problems. Quite simply people will try to drag you down to their level, to make them feel better about themselves. People who would feel the need to question your family or your age or where you prefer to eat and drink as if it was remotely relevant are hiding behind their own inadequacies.

The thread itself has been the perfect answer to the OP. The people who live in Phuket are NOT acurately represented by this or any other forum. The egocentricity of certain forum users is frightening. Everybodies life and experience of Phuket has to be exactly the same as the way they see it through their eyes and will tell you that you are quite simply wrong if your experience differs from theirs. They talk as if they are the only person on Phuket to have Thai friends, the only person in Phuket to know educated Thais, the only person in Phuket whos wife wasn't a bar girl, the only person in Phuket........etc etc etc. Their need to feel superior among a tiny group of strangers on a forum is worrying, and it is one of the main causes of threads going off topic and reverting to child like slanging matches.

Enough squabbling people. 4 personal attack posts removed. It's my sad observation that once a topic reaches 5 or 6 pages then members start to get way off the track, attacks start, and moderation kicks in.

I will leave this topic open for now, but any more squabbling or personal attacks and this topic will be closed.

Enough squabbling people. 4 personal attack posts removed. It's my sad observation that once a topic reaches 5 or 6 pages then members start to get way off the track, attacks start, and moderation kicks in.

I will leave this topic open for now, but any more squabbling or personal attacks and this topic will be closed.

Lets establish this...it was a fairly negative thread to start with. What were you all expecting? Im surprised the topic has lasted this long anyways.

I can just see myself outside 7/11 with a brown paper bag lol thought about paying the year up front but I already pay less than the Russians next door so I am a happy Bunny, never

been one for pub crawls, I am very happy with the couple of places I frequent, always happy to pick up a few cans of Leo, Archer is a good cheap beer to, I could sit outside on my

newly bought concrete chair. happy days!! :D all my spare coins goes in the piggy bank of my ready made family's youngest member !!

And that comment about "a brown paper bag" indicates to me that you don't actually live here.

NOBODY feels the need to use "a brown paper bag", even in the morning.

Yes I actually do live here, the comment about a brown paper bag is a little joke which obviously flew straight over your head!! :D

Lets establish this...it was a fairly negative thread to start with. What were you all expecting? Im surprised the topic has lasted this long anyways.

More posts removed and looks like snamos hit the nail on the head.

//closed