My Com Won't Shut Down

lampard10

This topic came up a couple of weeks ago, but with a slight difference. When I turn my computor off or on to restart it gets as far as ' Your computor is shutting down'then nothing. It stays like that. They have changed the motherbord to no avail and it seems to have stuped everyone. You can shut down manually, but then it is not regognised as a shutdown,so no up-dates or up-loads take effect. Can anyone help..........please.

I would check the running processes and close one at a time manually and then see if computer can complete a shut down (although confussed whey you say can manually shut down as thought that was how we always did it? - or do you mean pull the plug?). Usually it seems to be a hang trying to close something that causes dalay or non shutdown. Once you find the program I would remove and reinstall and cross fingers.

I know probably less then you but above might be worth a try anyhow. :o

Edited by lopburi3

This topic came up a couple of weeks ago, but with a slight difference. When I turn my computor off or on to restart it gets as far as ' Your computor is shutting down'then nothing. It stays like that. They have changed the motherbord to no avail and it seems to have stuped everyone. You can shut down manually, but then it is not regognised as a shutdown,so no up-dates or up-loads take effect. Can anyone help..........please.

Similar problem happens often with himindoors pc.

On mine I pull the power.

Edited by Nickerelastic

A little trouble shooting first. Try starting up in "Safe mode" (F8) then see if you can do a normal shutdown. If you can that means there is an application or driver that can't close. Did you install any new hardware/software recently?

If it won't shutdown in safe mode then you may have to boot from the XP CD and do a repair. This re-installs all the XP system level drivers (possible that one got replaced by an application).

Edited by tywais