Advice Needed

kenny999

My gf’s 10 yr old daughter has come to live with us after living in the North East all her life, she is so thin. She hardly eats anything, I have noticed when she eats to much she is sick, also she says to me pom poy and holding her stomach there is nothing of her, she is fairly happy and does not seem to lack energy other than she could sleep for Thailand, I am starting to think she might have Anorexia or is she just very thin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated…

While I cannot totally rule out an eating disorder, it would be unusual at age 10, these usually come after puberty.

Is she tall for her age? As at this age it can be hard for weight to keep up with the growth spurt.

The stomach is an elastic organ and will shrink or expand in accordance with how much is usually eaten. So if she has long been accustomed to eating very little, her stomach will indeed be small and she will feel full quickly and uncomfortable if eating a lot.

This can change but needs to do so gradually.

It is easier to improve caloric intake by increasing the frequency of eating and the caloric content of the food than it is by increasing quantity at individual meals. In other words, offer her between meal snacks with foods high in calories

It would probably also be a good idea to give her a daily vitamin/mineral supplement and have a check-up with a pediatrician just to make sure she is healthy, and also to give her a single dose of deworming medicine (albendazole but check her weight first and consult pharmacist/package insert for correct dose based on that, adults are 400mg single dose but she'll likely need la lower dose).

If the doctor finds no problems and she seems happy and energetic -- and especially if she keeps growing in height and weight even if the relative weight stays thin -- then I wouldn't worry too much.

If she's lethargic and/or if there is no growth then that's another matter an further investigation may be warranted.

While I cannot totally rule out an eating disorder, it would be unusual at age 10, these usually come after puberty.

Is she tall for her age? As at this age it can be hard for weight to keep up with the growth spurt.

The stomach is an elastic organ and will shrink or expand in accordance with how much is usually eaten. So if she has long been accustomed to eating very little, her stomach will indeed be small and she will feel full quickly and uncomfortable if eating a lot.

This can change but needs to do so gradually.

It is easier to improve caloric intake by increasing the frequency of eating and the caloric content of the food than it is by increasing quantity at individual meals. In other words, offer her between meal snacks with foods high in calories

It would probably also be a good idea to give her a daily vitamin/mineral supplement and have a check-up with a pediatrician just to make sure she is healthy, and also to give her a single dose of deworming medicine (albendazole but check her weight first and consult pharmacist/package insert for correct dose based on that, adults are 400mg single dose but she'll likely need la lower dose).

If the doctor finds no problems and she seems happy and energetic -- and especially if she keeps growing in height and weight even if the relative weight stays thin -- then I wouldn't worry too much.

If she's lethargic and/or if there is no growth then that's another matter an further investigation may be warranted.

Yes she is quite tall for her age, mum says she has never eaten alot, she is energetic and a happy girl so maybe you are right and there is no problem. we will keep an eye on her wight etc, thanks for the information..