Any Fix For: My new Chinese, swelling-foot, EDEMA, Office torture chair?

So, a few months ago I bought this office chair which is both padded and made in China.

The material is PU.

The problem, as best as I can determine, is that there is relatively less padding in the center of the seat, and the biggest offender is that there seems to be some sort of hard padded ridge at the front of the seat.

This raised ridge, which is also padded, cause diminished blood flow passing through the circulatory system at the bottom of both thighs.

And, this restricted or diminished blood flow has led to edema in both feet.  True, the swelling is reduced after a few hours.

However, repeated swelling can stretch the blood vessels so that they will probably lose their elasticity, after many days, months perhaps.

This is why I would like to nip this in the bud.

a.  I do not want to discard the chair, it being new.

b.  Anyway to make this chair very comfortable and ergonomically healthy with minor modifications?

Also, how do other more expensive chairs circumvent this potential problem though better design?

When I was younger, much younger, maybe four decades ago, I would buy real leather chairs that were extremely comfortable.

Now, chair manufacturers seem to be creating tools of torture fit for the use of a medieval Catholic tribunal, or maybe....

A chair designed using a copy of one of Edgar Poe's stories.

I will not be able to continue using this chair until I find a good solution.

What modifications might work?

Regards,

Gamma

• Sad 2

Just sell it online and cut your losses.

Office chairs, like many women things in life, need to be tried out in the flesh!! :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, a few months ago I bought this office chair which is both padded and made in China.

The material is PU.

The problem, as best as I can determine, is that there is relatively less padding in the center of the seat, and the biggest offender is that there seems to be some sort of hard padded ridge at the front of the seat.

This raised ridge, which is also padded, cause diminished blood flow passing through the circulatory system at the bottom of both thighs.

And, this restricted or diminished blood flow has led to edema in both feet.  True, the swelling is reduced after a few hours.

However, repeated swelling can stretch the blood vessels so that they will probably lose their elasticity, after many days, months perhaps.

b.  Anyway to make this chair very comfortable and ergonomically healthy with minor modifications?

Also, how do other more expensive chairs circumvent this potential problem though better design?

When I was younger, much younger, maybe four decades ago, I would buy real leather chairs that were extremely comfortable.

Now, chair manufacturers seem to be creating tools of torture fit for the use of a medieval Catholic tribunal, or maybe....

Regards,

Gamma

Have your feet amputated!!!

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It does appear as if people are finally starting to ignore your nonsense posts. Hooray. 

My posts are definitely not nonsense.

In fact, they are no nonsense posts.

But, just out of curiosity, I will play along with you and ask:

By what metrics are you saying that anyone here might be ignoring my contributions to the Forum?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just sell it online and cut your losses.

Office chairs, like many women things in life, need to be tried out in the flesh!! :whistling:

I have been afraid that this might be the only answer.

I have even tried using pillows in various configurations, but the seat (bottom) of the reclining office chair I purchased several months ago is as uncomfortable as ever.

I have never sold anything on line, either in Thailand or anywhere else.

I would be happy to get 80 percent of what I paid.

I might even contact the original seller, the Office Blank store, and see if I can negotiate a return at a loss to myself.

(Best scenario would be to find some great cushion that would solve the problem.)

Posted (edited)

So, as I suspected:

I think this Chinese-manufactured chair, which is sold through a local large retailer, is causing problems with circulation in the bottom of the thigh.

Here in this video, the guy talks about a SCULTED seat bottom.

And, IMHO, this might provide some benefits.

This guy might have a healthier chair (for now), but I have about 10 times the desk-top space (maybe eleven times).

NOTE:  Please note in parts of this video where you can actually see the sculpted concavities which are designed to nestle the undersides of the thighs.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Take the chair to a reupholstry shop and explain why you find it uncomfortable like it currently is and he could probably change the seating to better fit your body size.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A pillow designed for chair use should help a lot - I also have to use in padded office chair - also use a back pillow.

image.webp.18d70abb43468f8fc2b88623a70a2e49.webp

This looks good.

Reason:  You see that the bottom cushion is designed to not compress the underside of the thigh, where mucho-blood-vessels are located. This should help immensely.  Also, it is this problem which causes the chair from China to be, I would say, a bit hazardous to one's health.

I am not joking, of course, and....

If this problem is not corrected, I would say that the stretching of blood vessels in the lower legs and feet, over time, could lead to loss of elasticity and future circulatory-system issues.  Just my opinion as someone who knows little.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I just happened to think that, maybe, my chair is too high off the ground!

I have my chair screwed up to the highest setting, so that my legs are almost dangling off the front of the chair.

OBVIOUSLY, this puts a bit more force and compression on the undersides of the thigh, toward the front of the chair.

And, it is here where I can almost feel the blood in my legs from travelling more freely.

My only problem is that when I lower the chair to the lowest setting, then my head is to low for the desk.

And, I can think of a temporary solution for this, as well.

I just need some sort of low stool placed in front of the chair so that my legs will be less likely to dangle off the front of the chair.

Still, I think that a proper office chair should correct/predict all these faults and be more comfortable before it is put on the market for sale to users.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It does appear as if people are finally starting to ignore your nonsense posts. Hooray. 

You've chosen to ignore content by GammaGlobulin. Options 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Some are perhaps nonsense, but to me most are not... perhaps it's the whimsical tone GG uses that makes his posts seem nonsensical.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Some are perhaps nonsense, but to me most are not... perhaps it's the whimsical tone GG uses that makes his posts seem nonsensical.

What whimsical tone?  

He is yet to make a sensible post as they are all nonsensical!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My posts are definitely not nonsense.

In fact, they are no nonsense posts.

But, just out of curiosity, I will play along with you and ask:

By what metrics are you saying that anyone here might be ignoring my contributions to the Forum?

Yes, they are. Big Time!

Your answer on the topic is NO!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Cardano said:

Have your feet amputated!!!

That would be a great start, but amputating his hands would likely fix many of his other continuous problems and, hopefully, if we are very lucky, would also result in an end to all of his pathetic posts. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If only there was a AN god that could fully answer that prayer. 🙏🏻 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have my chair screwed up to the highest setting, so that my legs are almost dangling off the front of the chair.

Have a look here

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/chair_adjusting.html

Also, if your legs are short, fat and hairy, then how about a footrest?

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home-th.search.d_go&q=office footrest

Adjustable height and angle foot rest is an easy way to go. If you add the padded formed seat, you may need to go lower with the chair seat anyway.  
set a timer to get up from the chair every 30-60 minutes and walk around and stretch helps. Or get a standing desk.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The material is PU.

Regards,

Gamma

2 solutions:

1. Cut your losses and dump that Chinese piece of crap.

2. Buy one of these: https://kokuyo.co.th/

Best I've ever sat in. If you can't afford one, revert to a normal kitchen type of chair. I sit for long hours at my desk and had to dump my office chair for the same problem - losing circulation in the feet. A normal flat chair might be a bit less comfortable on your butt, but it's better for your back and your legs if you sit for long periods.

2b. Get more exercise to improve the blood circulation in your legs. Getting up for a short walk at least twice an hour helps too.

Office Chair Catalogue (from page 28 in pdf)

Edited by JensenZ

I had edema once, a few years ago. Both feet but not the ankles. I googled it and read that the answer was to raise the feet for 3 or 4 hours. As I was still in bed I made pile of laundry etc at the other end, rested my feet on it and after about 3 hours the swelling had cleared.

Google in fact said do this for several days so I did it for 2 more.

Never happened before and never happened since. Strange.

Well you asked about edema.

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

No, he is correct, they are mostly nonsense. Not as bad as some others to be fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Have a look here

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/chair_adjusting.html

Also, if your legs are short, fat and hairy, then how about a footrest?

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home-th.search.d_go&q=office footrest

Yes.

I agree.

The biggest offender of this chair is:

image.png.31c0728b556c08c678dfd2642edb7172.png

This is taken from the suggestions of the Office Ergonomics site you linked, which is very good.

IMHO, pressure on the back of the thighs or knees, while sitting, can impede maximum blood flow in the lower extremities, which can lead to serious health consequences...like....maybe even PHLEBITIS, or something. And, we all recall that it was PHLEBITIS that was causing Nixon so many sleepless nights during the Vietnam War.

Yes.

Good idea about a stool in front of the chair for feet, in order to  take pressure off the back of thighs and knees.

Maybe an old beer bottle crate might do, if not too high.

I still like the idea of the contoured thigh-channels in the seat bottom. But, would they even be an improvement?  Maybe not, because the main goal is to lighten the load, and lesson the load of the feet, knees and thighs pressing down and compressing the blood vessels beneath the thigh and behind the knee.

Strangely enough, I have never experienced this kind of problem in the past.

Maybe this is a consequence of cutting corners on proper padding and design during the manufacturing process in China.

And, THIS would be the fault of the importers for demanding a low price which is even below the production costs, which often happens.

THIS is why we get junk products out of China, and not due to the inability of Chinese manufacturers to produce whatever importers buy.

The Chinese can make ANY LEVEL OF QUALITY that importers want to buy.

It's just a matter of paying the true costs of manufacture and avoiding unrealistic cost cutting at the manufacturing level.