Vegetarian Places

Rider808

Portions seem to be ok for the 25 baht places ive been going to, they give about twice as much as a 30 baht place that serves meat dishes.

The quality of these cheap places seem ok, it taste just like regular Thai food, but without meat. Had Tom Yum noodles today and the imitation roast pork tasted almost like the real thing !

I go to one 25 baht place that gives you three tasty vegetarian dishes on brown rice and the portion is quite filling, but the others that I know of are not as generous and the food is not as good.

However there is no comparison with Nice Kitchen - on quality or quantity - which is about 80 baht for a huge plate of brown rice and veggies.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Does anyone know if the vegetarian place on the road to the airport is still open. It was run by some sort of Buddhist? organisation and ridiculously cheap. (Near Niyompanich)

Bert yuu! and one curry etc over rice is free. Two curries etc over rice is 10 baht. but the food is jay mak mak with no onions or garlic etc!

My favourite vegetarian go to places are the 3 veggie restaurants a bit further down from Wat Suan Dok,on Suthep Road. The one on the right does an amazing Kao soi, the one in the middle does an amazing somtam and the one on the left does and amazing Tomyum!

Edited by ha55ha

Does anyone know if the vegetarian place on the road to the airport is still open. It was run by some sort of Buddhist? organisation and ridiculously cheap. (Near Niyompanich)

Until about a year ago, I would go almost every weekday but after they went down to BKK to feed the yellow shirts "temporarily" closing the place for 8 months, the quality and variety just never came back. Perhaps because they lost some of their (red shirt) customers and/or the local farmers aren't donating as many varied vegetables. Every so often, I go eat there hoping the food taste would improve. My wife refuses to eat there. She prefers the Chinese Veg restaurant not far from Chiang Mai Gate. I still shop at their retail store for some of my supplies such as, brown, rice, beans, liquid soaps etc.

<br>Are these suggested places hi0so vegetarian or 25-30 baht places? I dont need big portions, as part of this vegetarian thing is to lose weight.<br><br>This week ive had red curry with mushrooms, masamun curry with that fake meat thing, veg lard na, jup chai with that fake meat again,fried rice with fake meat.. and that mashed taro and turnip stuff wrapped in tofu skin and deepfried is my favorite, i could live on this stuff alone.<br><br>Went to the place across from Fabrique today, the fried rice was oily, but the curry was pretty good not too spicy. Both for 50 baht.<br><br>I'm finding that its just the texture of meat that i like, that fake meat stuff i like even better, i dont know what it is but its great ! ...<br>
<br><br>Losing weight has nothing to do with a vegetarian diet. (its about the quality of your intake and calories YOUR body needs)

<div>I gained about 20 kg over a period of 10 years having the same believe.</div><div><br></div><div>Switched to a different eating pattern that includes animal fat (I was not happy when they told me to do) and lost about 15 kg in 6 months.</div><div>(no exercise allowed yet)</div><div>What I want to say is that every persons body has different needs.</div><div>Some people who eat only veggie and fruit may play with their health without knowing.</div><div>Some people on a low fat diet actually may need fat etc.</div><div><br></div><div>@ Vagabond you mean Red shirt? You never paid attention at the photo's hanging at the place?</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div> </div>

Yesterday I had to go to Immigration for my 90-day report. Since there were 56 people ahead of me in the queue I decided to try the vegetarian restaurant directly across the street from C.M. Immigration. It is called Spa Foods D'Lite. It is a large place, very cool inside from all the plants, trees and shades on the windows and spotlessly clean. The menu is quite extensive. The food is excellent and they have a nice selection of desserts as well. The only downside is that it is fairly expensive. I went with a friend and between us we ordered 3 dishes, 1 bottle of water and a slice of 'San Francisco' ice cream cake. The total was 400 Baht. But it was quality and nicely prepared with good-sized portions.

I can't see it lasting long though. In the middle of the lunch hour (we were there around 13:15), we were the only customers in the restaurant which seats perhaps 60 people. They also have freezers full of packaged soy products that look just like meat, chicken, etc. that you can buy to take home.

Here is their website: http://www.spa-foods.com/restaurant-spafoods-D-lite-eng.htm

There is a great map of Thai veggie restaurants around CM here : https://sites.google.com/site/chiangmaivegetarian/english/map-1

Numbers on the map refer to the index of restaurants here : https://sites.google.com/site/chiangmaivegetarian/english/restaurants

Looking through it though looks like it might not be being as regularly updated as it used to be, I think some of the CMU restaurants they list are no longer operating.

Found a great 25 baht place today at the end of ChangPuak road close to the superhighway intersection. Biggest selection ive found so far and really flavorful not bland at all.

Best cheap place ive found so far, they also have vegetarian Thai sausage (sai oouw)

Tonights vegie meal courtesy of the U.N. Irish Pub: Vegie pie with chips (fries) and a small Leo. Taste & quality = great! Portion size = adequate for me. Cost = 205 baht. Could do drop the chips and beer and you'd be under 100 baht.

Proving once again that it's possible to both be a vegetarian and to have clogged arteries.

Tonights vegie meal courtesy of the U.N. Irish Pub: Vegie pie with chips (fries) and a small Leo. Taste & quality = great! Portion size = adequate for me. Cost = 205 baht. Could do drop the chips and beer and you'd be under 100 baht.

Proving once again that it's possible to both be a vegetarian and to have clogged arteries.

Hehe a man has to live a little ;)

Hehe a man has to live a little ;)

Yes, but I'd rather go the distance and live on pastrami sandwiches and pepperoni pizzas than pussy footing around with vegetarian versions of English pies. If you've got an animal rights thing going the latter might be great, but if it's about health I don't see the point of eating greasy vegetables.