Vegetarian Places

Rider808

Been looking into vegetarian food lately and am surprised that it's better than I thought. I always thought it was just a bunch of steamed vegetables cooked by hippies. But some of it is really good ! A lot of tofu that has a really good texture and taste not like tofu at all....Turnip and taro concoctions that are as filling as meat, and really tasty. I'm really looking forward to trying more vegetarian dishes, especially the ones with that imitation meat made from some type of tofu.

So if you have some suggestions for vegetarian places i'd be happy to give them a go. Haven't had meat for a few days now and I think I actually feel more energetic and less sluggish.

PunPun (not the good tasting American restaurant for carnivores of the same name) in Wat Suan Dok on Suthep Road has good reviews, as does one of my favourite restaurants Khun Churn on Nimanhaemin Soi 17.

I suggest stearing clear of any Moo Gataa restaurants. Not much there for herbivores.

Khun Churn buffet, Nimman. Soi 17

Pun Pun restaurant in Wat Suan Dokh temple at the back.

A couple of good veggie restaurants on Suthep road just past Suan Dokh temple heading west on the left side.

Aforementioned restaurant on Rachadamnoen road just east of Wat Phra Singh.

Pun Pun in Wat Suan Dokh is hands down THE best vegetarian restauant in Chiang Mai The fact thata restaurant is vegetarian doesn't necessarily mean all their food is healthythough. MOST vegetarian restaurants here fry everything and you'd probably wish they didn't. As far as fake meat is concerned, I think most of it is made from mushrooms.

The new trendy vegetarian place is Cafe Compassion, but finding it is real b*tch. It is somewhere kind of behind Kad Suan Keaw I think.

I went with a friend the other day, but without realizing that they only had vegetarian food. He is real man, so we did not end up eating there, but it had a lot of customers and some interesting looking non-Thai dishes, so I will try again. I have always thought that someone doing some good non-Thai vegetarian dishes would do well as almost no one does. Variety is the spice of life.

We ended up at the Cathouse which is not far away and he had a huge fish sandwich and I had a tasty veggie curry and we were both very pleased.

The new trendy vegetarian place is Cafe Compassion, but finding it is real b*tch. It is somewhere kind of behind Kad Suan Keaw I think.

I went with a friend the other day, but without realizing that they only had vegetarian food. He is real man, so we did not end up eating there, but it had a lot of customers and some interesting looking non-Thai dishes, so I will try again. I have always thought that someone doing some good non-Thai vegetarian dishes would do well as almost no one does. Variety is the spice of life.

We ended up at the Cathouse which is not far away and he had a huge fish sandwich and I had a tasty veggie curry and we were both very pleased.

Lovely story about men and food. Narrak mak mak. Been meaning to check out Cafe Compassion myself as have heard good things about it from both men and women.

For sure check out the Khun Churn buffet, Nimman. Soi 17, 11am-2pm daily /99baht. This will be a big tongue-twisting eye-opener to the world of Thai-style Veg. cuisine. Not the best place in town but likely the most popular.

The OP sounds like from North America.... welcome to Thailand, where you can finally learn how to eat jap.gif

For sure check out the Khun Churn buffet, Nimman. Soi 17, 11am-2pm daily /99baht. This will be a big tongue-twisting eye-opener to the world of Thai-style Veg. cuisine. Not the best place in town but likely the most popular.

The OP sounds like from North America.... welcome to Thailand, where you can finally learn how to eat jap.gif

I think if you've never eaten vegetarian food you may likely like Khun Churn. I think their food pretty much sucks for anyone with a a palate however.

soi 11 off sirimankalajarn road, then head straight down to the bottom of that soi. not too bad to find. really interesting, different food and nice owners too.

PunPun (not the good tasting American restaurant for carnivores of the same name) in Wat Suan Dok on Suthep Road has good reviews, as does one of my favourite restaurants Khun Churn on Nimanhaemin Soi 17.

I suggest stearing clear of any Moo Gataa restaurants. Not much there for herbivores.

Khun Churn on Nimanhaemin Soi 17. is a buffet great selection and it is different every day.

They also have a great salad bar.

Are you sure he was a real man.:D

I think if you've never eaten vegetarian food you may likely like Khun Churn. I think their food pretty much sucks for anyone with a a palate however.

Is there people who don't have a palate.

I know there is food snobs. A good friend of mine is one. LOL

There is a new (to me) Indian place on Tha Pae road nearer the bridge than the gate called The Spice, It has a big sign out front "Vegetarian". Anybody tried it yet? Indian food is a great option if you want go meatless.

I did a very small review on this place in the Indian food thread. They actually do veg and non veg though i went for the veggie kofta option. Was very tasty and i'm actually considering grabbing a takeaway from there tonight funnily enough.

To me, both Taste of Heaven and (veggie) Pun Pun are a lot more about atmosphere than food. They are both OK, but pretty typical Thai vegetarian food IMO and nothing to get too excited about.

I prefer the vegetarian food at Angel's Secret and Nice Kitchen, but they are not strictly vegetarian places.

Are these suggested places hi0so vegetarian or 25-30 baht places? I dont need big portions, as part of this vegetarian thing is to lose weight.

This week ive had red curry with mushrooms, masamun curry with that fake meat thing, veg lard na, jup chai with that fake meat again,fried rice with fake meat.. and that mashed taro and turnip stuff wrapped in tofu skin and deepfried is my favorite, i could live on this stuff alone.

Went to the place across from Fabrique today, the fried rice was oily, but the curry was pretty good not too spicy. Both for 50 baht.

I'm finding that its just the texture of meat that i like, that fake meat stuff i like even better, i dont know what it is but its great ! ...

Tonights vegie meal courtesy of the U.N. Irish Pub: Vegie pie with chips (fries) and a small Leo. Taste & quality = great! Portion size = adequate for me. Cost = 205 baht. Could do drop the chips and beer and you'd be under 100 baht.