Warning Suvarnabhumi Customs Crackdown On Cigarettes

kalbo123

No sympathy for smokers though obnixious breed.

Has anybody else noticed that anti-smokers tend to be rude, uncouth, intolerant prohibitionists? (And I make the difference between non-smokers and anti-smokers here - the majority of non-smokers don't believe all the propaganga pumped out, and adopt a rational live-and-let-live approach to life). I know that the type has always been with us, but the fact that some (several billion) people like smoking seems to have escaped them, and the subject of smoking really does bring them out of the woodwork. I can honestly say that I have never read such bigoted, intolerant rantings as those the anti-smokers deploy. Not on any other subject have I seen such ad hominem attacks and spiteful vitriol. And I get around a lot of blogs, forums and online newspapers.

Big Pharma has done its job well.

Get over it moe666 (666?). Some people enjoy tobacco, and it is not in your gift to impose your own particular brand of morality on them.

Anti smokers rude.......what about all the smokers who smoke no matter where they are with others breathing that 2nd hand smoke?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week on a visatrip to Cambodia (Haat Lek) no problem bringing in 4 cartons of cigs and 2 bottles of whisky .

Officials told me 4 cartons for a farang and 2 for a Thai .

Few months before on another checkpoint i was only allowed to bring in 1 carton and 1 bottle .

Amazing Thailand .

Very Recently as I crossed over to Cambodia I asked the Thai border officials how much I can bring back with me. Same amounts of 4 & 2 for farang and 1 &1 for Thai. Same thing for me no problem at the check point returning from Cambodia. Just after the check point in my car ready to go home a customs agent not a border or immigration officer approached me with gun and badge at my window. The short of the story 15,000 baht fine,a 20km trip to the police station, threat of deportation, threat of 60 year blacklist and yes a receipt for my troubles. His words in English were since Yinluck is in office he had been ordered to crackdown and increase enforcement.

Edited by gosompoi

This has actually been going on for some time, i have heard of many instances where Thai customs have used their authority to extort money out of incoming passengers that bring in excess tobacco, and what do you think happens to the confiscated goods?

Why do you believe it to be extortion. perhaps they are just applying the limits and fining those breaking them.?

They don't seem to search many people so presumably the cigarettes are on display?

Edited by jacko45k

the other side is when u leave thailand you can buy up to 1000 cigs in duty free.they are happy to do it for you.even thou customs back home have a limit too.so what can you do

Well it isn't the responsibility of the shops to prevent you smuggling into other countries. And of course some countries do allow substantially more than the 'standard' 200. Dubai I believe is 2000.

About 3 and a half years ago, I was blissfully unaware of any limit on cigarettes being brought unit Thailand. So, when I stopped in Dubai, I bought a bumper pack of 1000 embassy, and due to its size it had to go on a Dubai duty free bag.

Once landed at Suvarnabhum exited the plane and made my way up the tunnel going into the main terminal, there was u Thai chap who looked a like an undercover copper eying everyone up who was coming out of the tunnel.

He poked his hand inside my bag whilst I was still walking ( a bit rude I thought) and asked if the cigs were mine, then appeared to walk away. Once I got queuing for passport control, a couple of manc lads told me a pal of theirs had been done on their last trip over.

I quickly stripped the box of 800 cigs, and handed them out to fortunate souls in the que.

As I passed through immigration without any issues, I couldn't help the feeling I was being watched as I stood waiting for my bag. Once I got my case,and went through security to the taxi collection area, I wondered what I worried about, and kinda cursed myself for giving away 800 fags. Then, 10 paces on, K Somchai tapped me on the shoulder, and informed me he wanted to search my bag.

He was quite pussed off when he found only 200 fags that he couldn't fine me for. And I guess his "spotter" got a bollkcking for giving him incorrect information.

Now I bring in only 200 at a time, and never again been searched. However, it made me more aware than ever, as to how many undercover spotters there are between the plane and customs. With smart trousers, poli shirts and polished shoes, they're easy enough to spot, maybe not for your average tourist who just come off a long haul flight though.

"cigs are cheap in thailand anyway,so why would u bother bringing them in bulk."

Duty Free cigarettes often use tobacco from the USA (for USA brands) whereas the locally sold cigarettes of the same brands use all Thai tobacco or a mixture of Thai/USA grown tobacco. The "Made In USA" marking is appealing to many smokers because the quality of the tobacco is usually considered better than the Thai tobacco used in cigarettes sold in Thailand.

I'm not a smoker, but this is what I've been told by friends who do smoke. jap.gif

Your friends are right. I smoke red Marlboro and it taste horrible here in Thailand. I don't know what tobacco they use as it's made in Philippines but it's no good. The worst tasting Marlboro ever, even when it was made in Malaysia some years back...

Since I'm from Europe I like the European-made Marlboro the best (no matter what country) and US-made Marlboros are good too. I don't care how much it cost but I want the good stuff.

I used to bring more than one carton and never got caught but since they started with those crazy fines (plus confiscation) I only bring what is allowed. I don't want to give any Somchai any chance to bully me...

Luckily I mostly come to Thailand just for a few days now so one carton is enough for me...

Has anybody else noticed that anti-smokers tend to be rude, uncouth, intolerant prohibitionists? (And I make the difference between non-smokers and anti-smokers here - the majority of non-smokers don't believe all the propaganga pumped out, and adopt a rational live-and-let-live approach to life). I know that the type has always been with us, but the fact that some (several billion) people like smoking seems to have escaped them, and the subject of smoking really does bring them out of the woodwork. I can honestly say that I have never read such bigoted, intolerant rantings as those the anti-smokers deploy. Not on any other subject have I seen such ad hominem attacks and spiteful vitriol. And I get around a lot of blogs, forums and online newspapers.

Get over it moe666 (666?). Some people enjoy tobacco, and it is not in your gift to impose your own particular brand of morality on them.

As long as the majority of smokers continually break the law (there are even tips on this thread on how to do it! It is called smuggling.) then I will remain an anti-smoker. It is against the law in Thailand to smoke in a bar or a restaurant. This is not "your own brand of morality" This is the law. If criminal smokers do not like it - then leave.

Stop winging and burn your money in the privacy of your own home without trying to kill innocent people.

Well, well, well...If it is so "against the law to smoke in a bar or restaurant in Thailand" then YOU had better inform the 20 some odd bar owners that I patronized in BKK and the other 15 bar owners in Pattaya that it is so...Don't know where you got your info from but I was NEVER asked to put out a cig while I was drinking or otherwise...I agree in Chiang Rai where I live but never in BKK or Pattaya or Trat...

Exactly. Last year I had two bottles of wine given to me in Hong Kong for a Christmas present as I was being sent off to the airport. I thought all I would need to do on arrival was to declare the extra bottle and pay a duty. So I went through the red channel and declared them. The Customs officer told me that I needed a licence to bring in more than one bottle, so I would have to leave one bottle. After saying sorry, explaining politely that they were given to me as presents as Xmas presents as I left from Hong Kong and I really thought I could just declare the extra bottle and pay the tax, he smiled and said "ok this time, but remember, it's only one bottle and don't do it again". Very reasonable I thought, and that's the last time I attempted to bring in more than one bottle.

Don't they go by the volume? Bottles come in all shapes and sizes, from under 0.3L to over 2 L

Yes. Thailand allows one litre. A standard bottle of wine is 750 mL, so two bottles would put you over.

As long as the majority of smokers continually break the law (there are even tips on this thread on how to do it! It is called smuggling.) then I will remain an anti-smoker. It is against the law in Thailand to smoke in a bar or a restaurant. This is not "your own brand of morality" This is the law. If criminal smokers do not like it - then leave.

Stop winging and burn your money in the privacy of your own home without trying to kill innocent people.

Well, well, well...If it is so "against the law to smoke in a bar or restaurant in Thailand" then YOU had better inform the 20 some odd bar owners that I patronized in BKK and the other 15 bar owners in Pattaya that it is so...Don't know where you got your info from but I was NEVER asked to put out a cig while I was drinking or otherwise...I agree in Chiang Rai where I live but never in BKK or Pattaya or Trat...

Well,Well,Well Mr Flyfisher,

It is indeed against the law to smoke anywhere in an air -con restaurant or bar in Thailand ,furthermore it is also illegal to smoke in an 'open bar /restaurant' except for the outlying tables.My lady owns & operates a 56 cover open restaurant near Nong Ki & only at the out-lying 3 tables is smoking permitted,the local health inspector pays a monthly visit & signs a form which is displayed for all to see.

Saying that ,the only place I've ever known it to be enforced was in several bars/restaurants on the 'darkside' area of Pattaya about 5 years ago.

"against the law to smoke in a bar or restaurant in Thailand"

This law came into affect 11 Feb 2008 although not officially enforced until World No-Tobacco Day 31 may 2008.

Refer The Government Public Relations Department website http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_inside.php?id=3471

According to the law, those who smoke in restaurants, pubs, bars, and markets that are air-conditioned or not air-conditioned will face a fine of up to 2,000 baht. The owners of these places who allow smoking in the designated no-smoking areas will also face a fine of up to 2,000 baht.

For those interested, MoPH inspectors authorized to enforce this law carry a white laminated credit card I.D. showing their photo, written details and a big round red stamp.

"It is against the law in Thailand to smoke in a bar or a restaurant"

Yet another ill informed poster

Not an ill informed poster at all, it's certainly against the law to smoke in a bar or restaurant in Thailand, and in fact in many countries.

In Thailand a smoker who chooses to flout this law is liable for a fine of 2,000 Baht, with the establishment being liable for a fine of 20,000 Baht per smoker.

I'm sure countries around the globe have introduced these laws for a reason.

Yet another ill informed poster, but seeing as you are an "oldgit" I will cut you some slack.

If you both had added the rider, in a bar or restaurant that is air conditioned, I would agree.

I also believe if the bar or restaurant has one side open its not against the law.

No mention of the many open air bars or restaurant.

But dont let your ignorance get in the way of a good rant.

With due respect it seems to be YOU that is ill informed,the restaurant here is totally open on all 4 sides,no smoking signs with some Thai writing including 2,000 baht ,are displayed everywhere except for the 3 outlying tables farthest from the cooking area.

Going back several years when this was 1st introduced many 'open air' bars in Pattaya only allowed smoking at tables away from the bar,then when it was realised that it wasnt going to be enforced things went back to normal.

This has actually been going on for some time, i have heard of many instances where Thai customs have used their authority to extort money out of incoming passengers that bring in excess tobacco, and what do you think happens to the confiscated goods?

Why do you believe it to be extortion. perhaps they are just applying the limits and fining those breaking them.?

They don't seem to search many people so presumably the cigarettes are on display?

28,000 baht for one extra carton of fags? How do you think that figure was arrived at?

28,000 baht for one extra carton of fags? How do you think that figure was arrived at?

European Cigarettes are roughly 75 baht /pack ,so 1 carton is 7,500 baht!!

"It is against the law in Thailand to smoke in a bar or a restaurant"

Yet another ill informed poster

Not an ill informed poster at all, it's certainly against the law to smoke in a bar or restaurant in Thailand, and in fact in many countries.

In Thailand a smoker who chooses to flout this law is liable for a fine of 2,000 Baht, with the establishment being liable for a fine of 20,000 Baht per smoker.

I'm sure countries around the globe have introduced these laws for a reason.

Yet another ill informed poster, but seeing as you are an "oldgit" I will cut you some slack.

If you both had added the rider, in a bar or restaurant that is air conditioned, I would agree.

I also believe if the bar or restaurant has one side open its not against the law.

No mention of the many open air bars or restaurant.

But dont let your ignorance get in the way of a good rant.

With due respect it seems to be YOU that is ill informed,the restaurant here is totally open on all 4 sides,no smoking signs with some Thai writing including 2,000 baht ,are displayed everywhere except for the 3 outlying tables farthest from the cooking area.

Going back several years when this was 1st introduced many 'open air' bars in Pattaya only allowed smoking at tables away from the bar,then when it was realised that it wasnt going to be enforced things went back to normal.

I am having difficulty understanding your post, however please indulge me.

To quote you, "With due respect it seems to be YOU that is ill informed,the restaurant here is totally open on all 4 sides,no smoking signs with some Thai writing including 2,000 baht ,are displayed everywhere except for the 3 outlying tables farthest from the cooking area"

To quote you from a previous post you made"It is indeed against the law to smoke anywhere in an air -con restaurant or bar in Thailand ,furthermore it is also illegal to smoke in an 'open bar /restaurant' except for the outlying tables.My lady owns & operates a 56 cover open restaurant near Nong Ki & only at the out-lying 3 tables is smoking permitted,the local health inspector pays a monthly visit & signs a form which is displayed for all to see."

On the one hand you say I am wrong, you then post to state that smoking is permitted in your own restaurant, " it is also illegal to smoke in an 'open bar /restaurant' except for the outlying tables"

Sorry I dont understand the nature of your post, is smoking prohibited or isnt it?