Warning Suvarnabhumi Customs Crackdown On Cigarettes

kalbo123

Today 2 friends arrived in Bangkok, they both had instead of the max. 200 cigarettes, 400 cigarrets with them.

They fine was really high, they had to pay 28.000 baht each, and also had to leave the 2 cartons at customs...nice start of the holiday!

While this all happened, they where bringing in more tourist with the same problem.

So beware.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the head ups, i didnt realise the limit was only 200, but the fine is a bit steep, i am sure that is for the customs xmas bonus pot !

i normally take them out and not in, so hope the dont crack down there as well !, touch wood, never had an issue bringing in 600 to the UK,

i came in with 400 and got stopped about 3 months ago

after being taken into the office and declaring my 400, the officers said ok, and let me go with the cigs

sounds like your friends have been real unlucky / or a change in policy

thanks for warning mate

i came in with 400 and got stopped about 3 months ago

after being taken into the office and declaring my 400, the officers said ok, and let me go with the cigs

sounds like your friends have been real unlucky / or a change in policy

thanks for warning mate

just bad luck on the day . james hat yai B)

Poor guys, not a nice way to start your holiday at all.

Perhaps someone could post the cost of local cigarettes to help others abroad so they are aware before coming to Thailand the cost and wouldn't be the need to bring in so many? Surely they are cheaper in Thailand than in the UK/Europe/Aus/Canada?

Bad luck, however for bringing the goods and not declaring them into Canada (and I am sure most of the Western countries) fines are pretty steep also. Example - bringing in food items and not declaring is a $500 (if I remember correct), for each item. So know the rules of countries where you travel.

I think if they had declared them, there would have been no fine most likely.

This reminds me that I better find out if there is any crazy laws in Indonasia as I am going to Bali for a second week of January.

Edited by Shurup

in Vietnam the premium smoke is Vinataba @USD0.73 per pack and I useta carry in 2-3 cartons in the checked luggage every trip to either to the UK or to Thailand...gotta be careful these days and watch yerself coming off of a flight from the Gulf area where the smokes are cheap at the duty free...the customs somchais have got your number...

in Vietnam the premium smoke is Vinataba @USD0.73 per pack and I useta carry in 2-3 cartons in the checked luggage every trip to either to the UK or to Thailand...gotta be careful these days and watch yerself coming off of a flight from the Gulf area where the smokes are cheap at the duty free...the customs somchais have got your number...

Somchai aint daft, the biggest mistake most people make is rocking up with their Dubai duty free bag in plain sight.

Much better to put whatever you have in your hand luggage and discard the Dubai duty free bag, these duty free bags are like a magnet to Somchai and his mates.

This is excellant news for non-smokers.

This is not a crack-down, It is just following the letter of the law. The limit is 200 cigerettes duty free. Any more than that - pay the fine.

From these comments, it seems that some smokers try to smuggle in more than the duty free allowance. Tough. Go to jail for smuggling. A fine is not enough.

And as for the person that wrote " i have heard of many instances where Thai customs have used their authority to extort money out of incoming passengers that bring in excess tobacco". I am gob-smacked. How can it be extortion if you are over your limit? :unsure:

smokes these days either in SEAsia or in the ME are much cheaper on the street that in the 'duty free', better to buy before you pack your bags and load up in checked baggage rather than display to the customs inna plastic bag when you get off the airplane...

mind, I was in Jeddah once with 60 cans of Copehagen snuff and the inspector said 'whaddaya going to do with this?' and I just said that it was for own consumption and it's not available in saudi and he just waved me thru...crazy raghead...

Better to declare. I bring a few bottles of wine since it is so expensive here along with the reciept from where I buy them, worst case scenario is they tax you 100% on the value, which is still a lot cheaper than buying them in Thailand. Since they can't fine or extort you as you are being all legal like, they wave me through as it is too much paperwork for them to do. Also the guys who inspect the bags through the "nothing to declare" channel are different than the real customs guys/gals in white uniforms in the "something to declare".

The plastic bag doesn't matter they tend to send passengers from Gulf flights to the xray. It is always advisable to check out the country you are travelling too for the first time. It would have saved your friend close to a thousand dollars if they had done a bit of reading. No sympathy for smokers though obnixious breed.

No sympathy for smokers though obnixious breed.

Has anybody else noticed that anti-smokers tend to be rude, uncouth, intolerant prohibitionists? (And I make the difference between non-smokers and anti-smokers here - the majority of non-smokers don't believe all the propaganga pumped out, and adopt a rational live-and-let-live approach to life). I know that the type has always been with us, but the fact that some (several billion) people like smoking seems to have escaped them, and the subject of smoking really does bring them out of the woodwork. I can honestly say that I have never read such bigoted, intolerant rantings as those the anti-smokers deploy. Not on any other subject have I seen such ad hominem attacks and spiteful vitriol. And I get around a lot of blogs, forums and online newspapers.

Big Pharma has done its job well.

Get over it moe666 (666?). Some people enjoy tobacco, and it is not in your gift to impose your own particular brand of morality on them.

Better to declare. I bring a few bottles of wine since it is so expensive here along with the reciept from where I buy them, worst case scenario is they tax you 100% on the value, which is still a lot cheaper than buying them in Thailand. Since they can't fine or extort you as you are being all legal like, they wave me through as it is too much paperwork for them to do. Also the guys who inspect the bags through the "nothing to declare" channel are different than the real customs guys/gals in white uniforms in the "something to declare".

No the worst case scenario is that the wine is confiscated and you pay a considerable fine. Thai customs do not accept declarations. If you bring in more than you are entitled to you are breaking the law. They don't charge excess duty. They confiscate the lot. There have been quite a few threads on this in the past usually about cigarettes.

From the TAT website:

TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND ALCOHOLIC DRINKS

There are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

1 litre of spirituous liquor

No more than 200 cigarettes

No more than 500 grams* of smoking tobacco (includes cigars)

200 cigarettes and cigars or smoking tobacco each or in total must not exceed 500 grams*

Individuals found to be in possession of smoking tobacco (includes cigars) in excess of 500 grams, and without duty stamps affixed, will be fined 4,675 baht per carton (10 packs).

*Note: Most recent information as of July 2009– revised from 250 grams as indicated in the Customs Department of the Kingdom of Thailand web site

Items exceeding this amount must be dropped in the Customs boxes to avoid being prosecuted.

Note: If you are uncertain about the status of your belonging, please kindly proceed to the Red Channel.

Warning: Customs Bureau emphatically serve passengers’ convenience by not checking all passengers passing through the Green Channel but randomly check in accordance with internationally recognized standards for custom formalities.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

Somchai aint daft, the biggest mistake most people make is rocking up with their Dubai duty free bag in plain sight.

Much better to put whatever you have in your hand luggage and discard the Dubai duty free bag, these duty free bags are like a magnet to Somchai and his mates.

Who on earth is Somchai ??

Edited by Chivas

the other side is when u leave thailand you can buy up to 1000 cigs in duty free.they are happy to do it for you.even thou customs back home have a limit too.so what can you do

1000 !! Ive had 8000 in hand luggage bought at DM !!

Nobody will stop you from buying-period !!

You cant just declare a few bottles of wine, to import alcohol you need a special import license.

This is excellant news for non-smokers.

This is not a crack-down, It is just following the letter of the law. The limit is 200 cigerettes duty free. Any more than that - pay the fine.

From these comments, it seems that some smokers try to smuggle in more than the duty free allowance. Tough. Go to jail for smuggling. A fine is not enough.

And as for the person that wrote " i have heard of many instances where Thai customs have used their authority to extort money out of incoming passengers that bring in excess tobacco". I am gob-smacked. How can it be extortion if you are over your limit? :unsure:

Not sure why you think it is excellent news for non smokers. Do you think the fine will stop him smoking?

Yeah go to jail for smuggling and while they're at it be sure to give 1000 lashes to those pesky J walkers too. Not to mention those evil demons that partake of the pleasures of the flesh. :blink:

If you declare anything, it will be confiscated. Without an import license you cannot bring anything over the allowance. Have you ever been to Thailand??? :rolleyes:

No sympathy for smokers though obnixious breed.

I find rabid anti smokers more obnoxious

Has anybody else noticed that anti-smokers tend to be rude, uncouth, intolerant prohibitionists? (And I make the difference between non-smokers and anti-smokers here - the majority of non-smokers don't believe all the propaganga pumped out, and adopt a rational live-and-let-live approach to life). I know that the type has always been with us, but the fact that some (several billion) people like smoking seems to have escaped them, and the subject of smoking really does bring them out of the woodwork. I can honestly say that I have never read such bigoted, intolerant rantings as those the anti-smokers deploy. Not on any other subject have I seen such ad hominem attacks and spiteful vitriol. And I get around a lot of blogs, forums and online newspapers.

Get over it moe666 (666?). Some people enjoy tobacco, and it is not in your gift to impose your own particular brand of morality on them.

+1

If we were gay they would be banned from ThaiVisa for picking on us, but smokers seem fair game.

There must be some gay smokers reading this - make a complaint :D

As long as the majority of smokers continually break the law (there are even tips on this thread on how to do it! It is called smuggling.) then I will remain an anti-smoker. It is against the law in Thailand to smoke in a bar or a restaurant. This is not "your own brand of morality" This is the law. If criminal smokers do not like it - then leave.

Stop winging and burn your money in the privacy of your own home without trying to kill innocent people.