If You Was In My Shoes

green77

Nearly 34 okay looking, i have an income from assets which would give me a good life in thailand and growing each year, If you was in my shoes would you make a full time move to thailand, do any of you wish you moved there when you was younger, or wish you could move there, or would some of you say its best for retirement. Just interested in if its something they would of done or want to do. Or of course some people may see it would not of been best for them at a young age.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved here at 27 and Im turning 35 in April, I actually could have moved here at 24 and wish I moved here then.

After the OP exits the work cycle he will likely get no pension (not enough years of work)......not sure. Exiting the work cycle at such an early age will make it almost impossible to return to it if you have to (depends on how many years you remain out of the loop). The OP is not stating how much money he has, but unless he is a multi-millionaire I would say do not retire now. Also, young, rich expats will eventually get bored with the local entertainment and have to do something to keep the mind alive. There are many retirement options. IMHO, Thailand is going downhill fast and other countries are becoming better retirement destinations. Why not take a year off and travel and explore options. Then, if you still want to retire, retire with the knowledge that it might be a serious mistake to do so now. At least after one year off you might be able to get back in the system. Good luck.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

I pretty much was in your shoes, i was 33. or was it 34 ? :rolleyes:

I think now is as good time as ever to move, but i would absolutely go for Cambodia if i had known then what i know now on this visa shit.

I also urge you to keep a firm grip on your wallet, do not ever pay anything in advance, do not ever lend out money to anyone, simply put don't entrust anyone here with anything that has any value.

At a bare minimum go to Sihanoukville before you have settle down, live at the Serendipity beach,

i'll have to get back on exactly where it was, can't remember and can't find a card

Oh, and btw, if you encounter anyone wanting to 'help' you at the border or otherwise, ask price before agreeing to be 'helped',

but better yet do everything yourself.

Make it a habit to ask the price twice in every possible situation where anyone could move into the position of charging you for anything

Edited by poanoi

:whistling:

Guesthouse:

If you're asking my PERSONAL opinion; then if I was in my 30's and had the money to do it, I would move to Thailand and live here.

However, I never had that option...because I had to work to support myself.

I am 65 now, retired, and living in Thailand.

What I WILL tell you is that moving to Thailnd is NOT a solution to all your problems and will NOT give you a life of endless pleasure. (sensual or otherwise)

That cute young Thai girl you will find so fascinating (in spite of her few faults) when you are 30 will not seem so cute and alluring 10 or 20 years later...IF you are still with her.

And believe it or not, and this comes straight from personal experience, the bar/booze/women scene WILL get old and very faded to you also.

Also getting a job, even if it is just something to occupy your time, is not going to be easy for a farang in Thailand.

Coming to Thailand as a tourist is one thing, but living here long term is an entirely different existance.

You will have to learn to adjust to life here....maybe you can, maybe you can't. Each person has to make his/her own adjustments. Some people can't make that adjustment, and live here in Thailand wishing every day they could go back "home" (wherever they think that is).

But you probably know that already.

So make your own choice. Just be willing to accept the cost of your choice.

Just like I did....and I'd do it again too, if I had to make the choice again.

:D

try south america first... anywhere from panama, brazil, argentina, dominican republic is like thailand but with honest people(they either kill you right away for your money or befriend you for real), good visa and land ownership laws, great food, better weather, cleaner beaches easier to learn language and cleaner streets.

If you have kids, you're just a short trip away from disney land

I'd advise taking some time to see a few more places in the world.

This place destroys more bright futures than it builds.

The eternal optimist speaks.

I prefer 'realist', it's far more often supported by the facts on the ground than is blind optimism.

I moved here when I was in my early thirties. Do I wish that I had come earlier? Since it is not worth regretting the things I can't change, the realistic answer is no. However, if I could turn back the clock to those days when Thailand was a lot different and do it again, I probably would.

In today's world, I would probably think long and hard about it. Thailand isn't cheap anymore, and the continually tightening visa regulations make it increasingly difficult for a young man to live here full time.

Lots of good advice here from other posters. I like the comment by Guesthouse above: "This place destroys more bright futures than it builds." Always remember the golden rule for Thailand; never invest more than you are fully prepared to walk away from. A young and self-sufficient man will be a serious target for the young and beautiful girls. This is good as long as you can resist the temptation to marry them, buy them cars, gold, land and build houses upcountry for them and their families.

Thailand is a great place to live IF you have money. I made the move over with a pocket full of money and great dreams. The two businesses I financed both failed. I learned from that experience to NEVER have a partner, Thai or otherwise. Living on a very limited budget and having to worry about where the next baht is coming from makes for a miserable life style.

I also kept in mind that if I became seriously ill, no doubt I would have died broke in this country.

I was smart enough to have kept an emergency fund to start over back in my home country if I failed here. To make a long story short, I bit the bullet and did return to the US. I worked for another five years. During that time I had a relatively large salary and lived very frugally saving all I could.

I was 59 years old when I retired for good. I learned from my mistakes and there were no repeats. A private company pension started when I was age 60 at a substantial reduction because of my age. I had a 401K pension fund that fortunately I never tapped into. I now collect dividends from my pension fund, get a private company pension and with Social security, I am quite comfortable.

I could have stayed here but knew that if I stayed, there would be very little income from Social Security when I was old enough or my 401K plan when I could no longer work. I know how miserable it is to live on a tight budget and wanted no more of that.

Think long and hard about retiring young on a shoestring. Thailand is not big on pensions and you are likely to be short of funds with no hope for the future. I did seriously consider tapping into my 401K pension plan but knew that fund would eventually dry up too. I did have some good luck because I had planned my retirement on an exchange rate of 25 to a dollar. I bought my Jomtien condo at 41 to a dollar. The surplus because of the better exchange rate has helped me a lot but it could have stayed the same or gone the other way.

Thailand is a great place to live IF you have money. I made the move over with a pocket full of money and great dreams. The two businesses I financed both failed. I learned from that experience to NEVER have a partner, Thai or otherwise. Living on a very limited budget and having to worry about where the next baht is coming from makes for a miserable life style.

I also kept in mind that if I became seriously ill, no doubt I would have died broke in this country.

I was smart enough to have kept an emergency fund to start over back in my home country if I failed here. To make a long story short, I bit the bullet and did return to the US. I worked for another five years. During that time I had a relatively large salary and lived very frugally saving all I could.

I was 59 years old when I retired for good. I learned from my mistakes and there were no repeats. A private company pension started when I was age 60 at a substantial reduction because of my age. I had a 401K pension fund that fortunately I never tapped into. I now collect dividends from my pension fund, get a private company pension and with Social security, I am quite comfortable.

I could have stayed here but knew that if I stayed, there would be very little income from Social Security when I was old enough or my 401K plan when I could no longer work. I know how miserable it is to live on a tight budget and wanted no more of that.

Think long and hard about retiring young on a shoestring. Thailand is not big on pensions and you are likely to be short of funds with no hope for the future. I did seriously consider tapping into my 401K pension plan but knew that fund would eventually dry up too. I did have some good luck because I had planned my retirement on an exchange rate of 25 to a dollar. I bought my Jomtien condo at 41 to a dollar. The surplus because of the better exchange rate has helped me a lot but it could have stayed the same or gone the other way.

Great post and well done with getting your plan back together.

Moved here at 27 and Im turning 35 in April, I actually could have moved here at 24 and wish I moved here then.

After the OP exits the work cycle he will likely get no pension (not enough years of work)......not sure. Exiting the work cycle at such an early age will make it almost impossible to return to it if you have to (depends on how many years you remain out of the loop). The OP is not stating how much money he has, but unless he is a multi-millionaire I would say do not retire now. Also, young, rich expats will eventually get bored with the local entertainment and have to do something to keep the mind alive. There are many retirement options. IMHO, Thailand is going downhill fast and other countries are becoming better retirement destinations. Why not take a year off and travel and explore options. Then, if you still want to retire, retire with the knowledge that it might be a serious mistake to do so now. At least after one year off you might be able to get back in the system. Good luck.

Good advice. O/P you do not say where you are from. One thing I would add is that if you own property in your home land, do not sell it, that way you always have somewhere to return to if necessary. Infact I would advice you to purchase a property first.

jb1

poanai..

re .. At a bare minimum go to Sihanoukville before you have settle down, live at the Serendipity beach,

i'll have to get back on exactly where it was, can't remember and can't find a card

your right .. there are loads of brand new hotels just behind the golden lion roundabout

on seraendipity beach and i year visas are much easier to get : )

dave2 ... thinking to move to cambodia as well !

post-42592-0-85332700-1323663146_thumb.j

After 12 years in Thailand and looking back, I would not advise anyone to retire too young or even put down any roots in Thailand.

Come for an extended holiday. Rent a condo. Don't buy an expensive car and don't start a business...and don't fall for the first girl.

Enjoy your stay. Explore and have fun.

Then go to Cambodia. Repeat.

Then go to Laos. Repeat.

etc etc

Thailand is not was it was when I retired at 30. What you see when you are a tourist is an illusion, carefully crafted to separate you from your money while you smile doing it, and to that aim, it's a very good illusion.

But when you live here a while, you see the smoke and the mirrors. You realize that you liked the illusion more when you didn't know how it was done.

And retirement is not easy, especially so young. I had romantic notions of going to the beach everyday, taking my boat out, fishing and relaxing. That lasted only 2 years and I got bored. You will too.

After 12 years in Thailand and looking back, I would not advise anyone to retire too young or even put down any roots in Thailand.

Come for an extended holiday. Rent a condo. Don't buy an expensive car and don't start a business...and don't fall for the first girl.

Then go to Laos. Repeat.

etc etc

Thailand is not was it was when I retired at 30. What you see when you are a tourist is an illusion, carefully crafted to separate you from your money while you smile doing it, and to that aim, it's a very good illusion.

But when you live here a while, you see the smoke and the mirrors. You realize that you liked the illusion more when you didn't know how it was done.

And retirement is not easy, especially so young. I had romantic notions of going to the beach everyday, taking my boat out, fishing and relaxing. That lasted only 2 years and I got bored. You will too.

I have a good friend who retired in Jomtien and finally burned out with Jomtien and Pattaya after about seven years. He made the big move to Sihanoukville. He lasted about three months there and recently came back to Thailand. He said that if you are bored in Thailand, you will be super bored in Cambodia. Believe it or not he is now living in the boonies outside of Saraburi. I think maybe he has become a hermit. He is about 70 years old.

I had romantic notions of going to the beach everyday, taking my boat out, fishing and relaxing. That lasted only 2 years and I got bored. You will too.

Strangely i had the same idea, but ended up in go-go in just a couple of days, and then stayed there 7 years or so :rolleyes:

Also agree don't buy anything that you can't bring to sihanoukville in a heartbeat, but i will also have to agree with another post that Sihanoukville is very slow, especially compared to Pattaya.

I strongly advice against Vientiane, it is extremely boring, and then to top it off the tuk tuk mafia charge 3-4 times as much as a taxi in Pattaya.

In either case: Watch out for the leeches!!!!!!!!!

Then go to Laos. Repeat.

etc etc

I have a good friend who retired in Jomtien and finally burned out with Jomtien and Pattaya after about seven years. He made the big move to Sihanoukville. He lasted about three months there and recently came back to Thailand. He said that if you are bored in Thailand, you will be super bored in Cambodia. Believe it or not he is now living in the boonies outside of Saraburi. I think maybe he has become a hermit. He is about 70 years old.

I have been to Sihanoukville and wouldn't wish my worst enemy be forced to live there. Its nice for an afternoon, after that severe, utter boredom- if you like power cuts, no modern amenities, few imported goods, then you may like it:) Not to mention if you think Thailand is corrupt, Cambodia is far far worse.

Edited by ExpatJ

Good advice. O/P you do not say where you are from. One thing I would add is that if you own property in your home land, do not sell it, that way you always have somewhere to return to if necessary. Infact I would advice you to purchase a property first.

jb1

Depends. Renting one's house out can turn into a nightmare if the property is 'trashed' and, meanwhile no rent paid...

Left un-occupied, no insurer will touch it and it will be a magnet for squatters.

Wow great answers. I think someone hit the nail on the head, i'm at that time of my life where i have to make my decision, do i stay in cold england get married have kids, end up in a sexless marriage or relationship with no control of my life knowing if we split i lose everything, or do i go to thailand have fun and if i get in a relationship i stay in control of my life. Someone asked for more details, well all my assets are outside the uk and not in thailand, and i don't plan on investing in thailand, just living of my offshore income, this way i stay in control and even if i did get married to a thai i'm safe with my assets, and obviously married or not they are kept quiet.

I am in a good position not needing to work but as someone rightly said you will have problems with boredom in the end, although if i took up golf, and i like to swim and stay active anyway, and its cheap enough to eat out everyday, perhaps set up a small business to kill time, has got to be better than being soaking wet freezing cold construction worker which i have been doing most my adult life. I have seen the world, and places like the dom rep are okay for holidays but not modern enough for full time living, south america does not appeal to me really, if it was not thailand it would be spain cyprus places in the med.

poanai..

re .. At a bare minimum go to Sihanoukville before you have settle down, live at the Serendipity beach,

your right .. there are loads of brand new hotels just behind the golden lion roundabout

on seraendipity beach and i year visas are much easier to get : )

dave2 ... thinking to move to cambodia as well !

+1, but I don't wanna be there (Sihanoukville) during the rainy season.

try south america first... anywhere from panama, brazil, argentina, dominican republic is like thailand but with honest people(they either kill you right away for your money or befriend you for real), good visa and land ownership laws, great food, better weather, cleaner beaches easier to learn language and cleaner streets.

Would agree with both Guesthose and Thailand in the posts above. Try other countries as well. South America - yes. Also in Asia I liked Korea, Singapore and Indonesia. the first two need more money though. the Indonesians on the whole are very nice people, and genuine in terms of knowing where you stand.

If you have kids, you're just a short trip away from disney land

Don't some people say Thailand is Disneyland for adults :lol:

Lots of good advice here from other posters. I like the comment by Guesthouse above: "This place destroys more bright futures than it builds." Always remember the golden rule for Thailand; never invest more than you are fully prepared to walk away from. A young and self-sufficient man will be a serious target for the young and beautiful girls. This is good as long as you can resist the temptation to marry them, buy them cars, gold, land and build houses upcountry for them and their families.

Have to disagree with Guesthouse and Bino on this. I know a lot of people who have made a success of their lives here, and are happier than they would be back where they come from to boot. Yes there are failures too. A lot of it comes down to the people you mix with.

In terms of investing and finances, I've done better in Thailand than I would back in the west. The main reasons: At times I've held expat positions - so salary and benefit uplifts. Even when on local terms it's generally cheaper to live and save if you live here and manage your money well.

For investments there are more opportunities open to you as an expat generally than a simple UK resident, these can result in better returns, lower tax, and greater financial freedom at an earlier age. If I'd lived in the UK for the last few decades I'd still have to work now.

In Thailand I can choose to work or not.

As an example many western stock markets have stagnated over the last decade, many Asian ones have done well, and get it right and you don't pay much tax either on returns here.

Yes be careful with your money, and with your choice of women here too - particularly on the latter take your time.

In summary Thailand will give you a lot to think about and a much wider range of experiences good and bad compared to UK. It's down to you though to take responsibility for your life... :)

Edited by fletchsmile

do i stay in cold england get married have kids, end up in a sexless marriage or relationship with no control of my life knowing if we split i lose everything, or do i go to thailand have fun and if i get in a relationship i stay in control of my life

:rolleyes:

Great post and well done with getting your plan back together.

Agreed, great post Gary, and I too am pleased it has all come together for you.

This place destroys more bright futures than it builds.

The eternal optimist speaks.

I prefer 'realist', it's far more often supported by the facts on the ground than is blind optimism.

You're just plain old boring mate, simple as that.