Ed Visa Alternative To Studying Thai ?

Have also read that others have done Muay Thai Boxing and Scuba Diving Courses.

Thai cooking or Yoga would be great as well. As long as it was for a year and around 25k Baht same as Thai language courses.

Something a bit more interesting than language study !

Edited by freedomnow

I know someone who got an ED visa in Chiang Mai taking pilot's training. Sounds like a lot of fun, but considerably more expensive than 25,000 baht for a year's worth of training. Besides, I think you can learn to fly in less than a year.

I know someone who got an ED visa in Chiang Mai taking pilot's training. Sounds like a lot of fun, but considerably more expensive than 25,000 baht for a year's worth of training. Besides, I think you can learn to fly in less than a year.

Something a bit less dangerous ! I can barely look over a 12 floor+ veranda thanks.I'm looking for something I can use outside Thailand in future and as Thai language is not widespread, it is a bit of a waste of time as I won't be there as a long-term resident.

Edited by freedomnow

I'm thinking along the lines of Yoga/ Tai Chi /Chi gong / cooking .But those courses look intensive, short and expensive vs 4 hours per week Thai ed visa.

Something leisurely and not too taxing on the brain box ! :jap:

Edited by freedomnow

You can get ED for study Computer, thai boxing, cooking, massage, carving,

and in fact you can study ANY language that you are not native with

So far no luck finding anything in Chiang Mai. Alternative seems to be tough uni courses or high priced short courses...massage/yoga/cooking.

Just looking for 4 hours per week for a year, fun and around 25-30k Baht for a legitimate MoEduction recognised place.

Edited by freedomnow

You can get ED for study Computer, thai boxing, cooking, massage, carving,

and in fact you can study ANY language that you are not native with

So far no luck finding anything in Chiang Mai. Alternative seems to be tough uni courses or high priced short courses...massage/yoga/cooking.

Just looking for 4 hours per week for a year, fun and around 25-30k Baht for a legitimate MoEduction recognised place.

Nobody studying 25-30,000 Baht non-Thai 1-year courses in Chiang Mai ?! I want to study something I'm genuinely interested in.

Come on, there must be something fun ! I've tried to search google every which way for longer study courses in this price range.No luck.

Edited by freedomnow

I think it unlikely that any course of study from a registered institution, apart from Thai Language (or, possibly another language), would be for 4 hours a week for a year.

They will either be full-time studies or short-course studies.

If you study English in an English speaking country the requirements are for 15 hours per week, or more,

A former Thai PM started the 4-hour a week Thai courses to extend the use of the language (and bring more money into Thailand).

How long the 4 hours a week will be allowed to continue I don't know.

As a (retired) language teacher teaching adults, lessons were always 3 hours at a time for four or five days a week (this is in Thailand for Thais learning English),

anything less was not efficient - the adults were off abroad to study at university, so had to get a good level of English in a reasonable amount of time.

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing I thought of was study at Chiang Mai University. There are a number of faculties and departments open to international students, like yourself, who would also need to pay international fees.

I studied in Thammasat University (Ta Pra Jarn Campus) in the International MBA and I also studied at UTCC for a semester here in BKK. If you compare prices between a university and Thai language courses, of course university study is cheaper because one does'nt pay 2000 baht per month or how often it is paid (can't remember). The first semester at UTCC was no more than 23,000 Baht which of course included a 1 year education visa (I only studied at UTCC for a few months, and then changed to TU).

An MBA, for example, requires 6-9 hours of study per week; however you're likely to choose your own schedule. BTW, if think of coming to BKK, don't go to TU (they call it 'inter; but it really means thai with 2 people that can speak english). Try the Chiang Mai University website for your opportunities.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am looking for something exactly the same, can anyone give any recommendations from first hand experience?

I am looking to study/learn for about 4 hours a week, something casual like yoga or cooking or computers etc. I would learn Thai language if there are not any alternatives, but like someone said, for me who doesn't plan to stay here, it seems a bit of a waste, I'd much rather master something else.

How do I get this rolling/ Anyone know who I need to contact directly? So far I'm struggling to find anything appropiate.

Cheers