PAD Coordinator Concerned About Emerging Red Shirt Villages

webfact

PAD Coordinator Concerned about Emerging Red Shirt Villages

A coordinator for the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, voiced concern that the emerging number of red shirt villages deemed to open in many northern provinces will rekindle old political conflicts.

Chumpol Lilanont, the coordinator for the People's Alliance for Democracy, said that the opening of red-shirt villages will create disunity among Thais, as people will be motivated wear different shirts again to support their political groups.

He further stated that this is the time where Thais have to reconcile nationwide rather than squabble about their differences.

Chumpol said that the red-shirts must not open their village to represent themselves as extremists or show an intolerance towards people with different political beliefs.

The PAD coordinator advised that the red-shirt community must show respect for community rights and other peoples' rights as well.

Meanwhile, Siriwat Chupatmadtha, the coordinator for the Democratic Alliance for Dictatorship, or the red-shirt people, at Phayao province said that the opening of the red-shirt villages in many provinces are just a form of representing themselves as a community.

Siriwat claimed that the red-shirts favor true democracy and will not coerce others to follow their ideas through intimidation and bullying.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-13

footer_n.gif

And PAD should be well familiar with provincial villages aligned to a political ideology and/or philosophy as its roots are clearly an evolution of the Village Scouts. the Village Scouts were first formed to combat leftist influence from outside Thailand in 1954 but later in 1974 evolved as a political group to "ferret out" any individual or group known to disagree with and dissent from the "elite , business class, Bangkok version" of democracy or individual rights and justice. In 1974, the Village Scouts became more of a domestic extension of ISOC, and was a most polarizing movement in Thai political history. The PAD is a continuation of that movement and knowing how effective "the village" call to colors can be, PAD would obviously be quick in seeking discouragement of these tactics and dissenting voices wearing colors.

there is no real democracy even in the uk. usa

Well no one outside the USA would have thought that USA has democracy at all...

General worldwide democracy is going down...EU is getting less democratic by the day.

Greek is taken over by the banks....

I don't know one example of a half correct democracy.

Siriwat claimed that the red-shirts favor true democracy and will not coerce others to follow their ideas through intimidation and bullying.

Methinks this person is telling porkies...

are these villages or boot camps?

Some of them may be 're-education" camps where Brother Number One Two is worshiped. All would be hostile to strangers in yellow shirts I think.

I'm sorry to copy my post from another thread, but it appears to have more relevance here:

===============================

I was lucky enough to go to a gathering (impromptu party) in a self proclaimed red village south of Chiang Mai not long ago. I say 'lucky enough' because it gave me the opportunity to actually gain knowledge and experience of such places instead of making up stereotyped hysteria to fill the gaps in my understanding as you have done in your post.

It was a typical group of villagers - around 10 friends and family members who've all known each other since childhood. The talk was of premier league football and joking around at each other's expense. 2 were ex-army, and one was still doing his 2 years service.

Taking a quick look inside the house, I can't remember seeing any pictures of Thaksin although I wouldn't have been at all surprised if there were and I missed them. What there was in obvious abundance though were images of the King and several presumably famous old monks. Again, it seemed perfectly ordinary to me.

Back outside it turned out that 2 of the party were fairly staunch yellow-shirt supporters. I saw them having heated discussion with others in the group which at no point got rowdy or ill tempered. It seemed people could say what they wanted perfectly easily without intimidation and when all was said and done the drinking and joking continued.

There were a couple of jokes levelled at the 2 yellows there - like 'oh he's yellow shirt, no good' etc etc but it was always in jest and similar to other comments like 'he like Manchester United, he no good'. I had asked earlier about intimidation of yellows in a red village and was laughed at.

So all I can say is that the red shirt village I went to was basically the same in essence to any other rural Thai village I've ever been to.

If those people are the terrorists you and your red shirt-hating buddies on this forum think they are, perhaps you need to tell them instead of a bunch of disconnected farangs on a web board. Thinking about it though, maybe a bunch of disconnected farangs is actually your best audience - how could they disagree with you?

From where I was sitting, these reds (and a couple of yellows) in this red shirt village looked uncannily like very normal, fair minded and light hearted people just getting on with their lives. Which by the way seems a much more dignified pursuit than habitually spouting other people's blind rhetoric on an anonymous web forum.

========================

There was no evidence of the place being a 're-education' camp, boot camp, or a no-go area for those with yellow views.

Now if one of you red-haters goes to a red village (which you probably will never do for a lot of reasons), and find evidence of it being any one of those things, then please come post back your experiences.

Now if one of you red-haters goes to a red village (which you probably will never do for a lot of reasons), and find evidence of it being any one of those things, then please come post back your experiences.

I regularly spend time in a red shirt village in Chiang Mai province where there are lots of pictures of Thaksin on display including a big one on the welcome sign as you enter the village. My mild criticism of the current government has been politely heard but refuted there in the predictable & ill-informed ways. For example, a recent exchange went something like this:

Me: "I think many people are unhappy with Pheua Thai now after they've mishandled flood management & relief efforts."

Villager: "No, people still like the government. Look, Thaksin bought all those water pumps to help."

We can skip detailing all the problems within this particular response. My point is that this & other examples don't suggest violent intolerance but they do suggest that critical thinking & alternative news sources are in short supply, at least in that area. I mean, can't one fully support the red populist ideas & still admit that they've botched the flood situation & lost some support as a result? True democracy has no room for blind loyalty and denial of readily apparent facts. Of course, ignorance & closed-mindedness prevail in many areas in Thailand (& around the world), but I think that's bad enough as it is. In this one red village, rather than trying to rectify the situation they seem to be openly & defiantly cloaking themselves in their ignorance. That's what makes me uncomfortable & sad with the whole situation.

I'm sorry to copy my post from another thread, but it appears to have more relevance here:

I was lucky enough to go to a gathering (impromptu party) in a self proclaimed red village south of Chiang Mai not long ago. I say 'lucky enough' because it gave me the opportunity to actually gain knowledge and experience of such places instead of making up stereotyped hysteria to fill the gaps in my understanding as you have done in your post.

It was a typical group of villagers - around 10 friends and family members who've all known each other since childhood. The talk was of premier league football and joking around at each other's expense. 2 were ex-army, and one was still doing his 2 years service.

Taking a quick look inside the house, I can't remember seeing any pictures of Thaksin although I wouldn't have been at all surprised if there were and I missed them. What there was in obvious abundance though were images of the King and several presumably famous old monks. Again, it seemed perfectly ordinary to me.

Back outside it turned out that 2 of the party were fairly staunch yellow-shirt supporters. I saw them having heated discussion with others in the group which at no point got rowdy or ill tempered. It seemed people could say what they wanted perfectly easily without intimidation and when all was said and done the drinking and joking continued.

There were a couple of jokes levelled at the 2 yellows there - like 'oh he's yellow shirt, no good' etc etc but it was always in jest and similar to other comments like 'he like Manchester United, he no good'. I had asked earlier about intimidation of yellows in a red village and was laughed at.

So all I can say is that the red shirt village I went to was basically the same in essence to any other rural Thai village I've ever been to.

If those people are the terrorists you and your red shirt-hating buddies on this forum think they are, perhaps you need to tell them instead of a bunch of disconnected farangs on a web board. Thinking about it though, maybe a bunch of disconnected farangs is actually your best audience - how could they disagree with you?

From where I was sitting, these reds (and a couple of yellows) in this red shirt village looked uncannily like very normal, fair minded and light hearted people just getting on with their lives. Which by the way seems a much more dignified pursuit than habitually spouting other people's blind rhetoric on an anonymous web forum.

========================

There was no evidence of the place being a 're-education' camp, boot camp, or a no-go area for those with yellow views.

The wife's village is not an "official" red shirt village, but it may as well be. If you vote for anyone other than PTP, they know and will harass you. Intimidation pure and simple. You can't even discuss politics there other than your love for PTP. You have to be very careful unless you praise Thaksin. A lot of money changes hands during the elections, as well as afterwards . This is a big deal for the villagers. Whoever has the most money get the votes.

The government should do something about this, but obviously won't.

========================

sounds too normal to be believed.

I guess it won't be believed here... B)

========================

The wife's village is not an "official" red shirt village, but it may as well be. If you vote for anyone other than PTP, they know and will harass you. Intimidation pure and simple. You can't even discuss politics there other than your love for PTP. You have to be very careful unless you praise Thaksin. A lot of money changes hands during the elections, as well as afterwards . This is a big deal for the villagers. Whoever has the most money get the votes.

The government should do something about this, but obviously won't.

The text in red can not be aimed at the PT in the recent election. The BUm Jai Thai are going to get disbanded based on the millions Newin chucked in. I like hanuman1 have been to a few gatherings and likewise have seen many pictures of the king and old buddhas , yes and Thaksin. It has always been believed if you support Thaksin you are disloyal to his majesty...what utter nonsense. You can admire, respect and love both without doing anything morally wrong. Rhetoric and propaganda fostered by the 'elite' press.

The people that spout this <deleted> still people the great unwashed still listen to them, they dont. Shame many ill informed forum posters listen and believe

Edited by backtonormal

I have justed returned from a village near Surin which I have often visited for the past 10 years I have been here. They support Puea Thai and Thaksin as long as I've known them. They think Puea Thai is the best party for them, one that will listen to the poor country folk and improve their standard of living. Politics is always a topic of conversation with them, especially since Yingluck became PM. There are pictures of her everywhere and lots of people wore red shirts with her face on or red in the land or Yinluck number 1. Even children as young as 3 years old wore these shirts. They say the same thing I read on Thai visa that the democrat party only cares for the rich and won't help them. If the democrats want to gain support in this area they must come and listen to what these people want maybe learn a few tricks from Thaksins populist movement. The democrats must change from there old ways and learn from this new government how to win the peoples hearts, then by the next election they will have a better chance of winning.

This thread is a red herring. In fact, it's not even "news." coffee1.gif It's the normal M.O. outside of the larger metropolises of Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and has been for several years, now.

In many upcountry provinces, villages are required, by election and/or provincial authorities, to designate themselves "red" or "yellow", sometimes using the representative political party names as alternate monikers. Yellow-party campaigners know not to campaign in red-shirt villages and vice-versa. While it's supposed to keep things "harmonious," it unfortunately hinders free political expression.

Nevertheless, the yellows are as "guilty" of this practice as the reds. Therefore, it's anti-news. As Jingthing says...next?

there is no real democracy even in the uk. usa

Well no one outside the USA would have thought that USA has democracy at all...

General worldwide democracy is going down...EU is getting less democratic by the day.

Greek is taken over by the banks....

I don't know one example of a half correct democracy.

Have to agree, although Greece almost went back to democracy, when they were going to have a referendum on the EU controlling it's finances, but that was soon nipped in the bud. With all the technology available, there should be more democracy, For instance, where people can vote over the internet on any issues affecting their country, rather than just vote every few years for a bunch of people who then proceed to fill their pockets, and ignore the voters until the next election.

I think the PAD and the Democrats, (are they one and the same ?), have proven over the years that the reason they don't get elected, is because they genuinely are not seen as a party to help the poor. They had the chance to change this, when they were given power after the coup, but their policies are aimed at maintaining the existing system, which is not for the benefit of the poor in this country. If I remember correctly, not too long ago the PAD were trying to push a system where the vast majority of people wouldn't even get a vote, and now they complain about red shirt villages springing up everywhere. It's hardly surprising really, while the PAD try to keep the poor at the bottom of the pile, most people, even though they are denied a decent educational system, can see the evidence of poverty and corruption, caused by the so-called elite, with their own eyes.

The text in red can not be aimed at the PT in the recent election. The BUm Jai Thai are going to get disbanded based on the millions Newin chucked in. I like hanuman1 have been to a few gatherings and likewise have seen many pictures of the king and old buddhas , yes and Thaksin. It has always been believed if you support Thaksin you are disloyal to his majesty...what utter nonsense. You can admire, respect and love both without doing anything morally wrong. Rhetoric and propaganda fostered by the 'elite' press.

The people that spout this <deleted> still people the great unwashed still listen to them, they dont. Shame many ill informed forum posters listen and believe

You are absolutely correct. I heard BJT was offering big money. People took the money and still voted for PTP. Interestingly enough, the Dems were not offering money. A lost cause maybe?

Village folk love Thaksin due to his populist policies. And money that ended up in their pockets from the various schemes.

Have to agree, although Greece almost went back to democracy, when they were going to have a referendum on the EU controlling it's finances, but that was soon nipped in the bud. With all the technology available, there should be more democracy, For instance, where people can vote over the internet on any issues affecting their country, rather than just vote every few years for a bunch of people who then proceed to fill their pockets, and ignore the voters until the next election.

I think the PAD and the Democrats, (are they one and the same ?), have proven over the years that the reason they don't get elected, is because they genuinely are not seen as a party to help the poor. They had the chance to change this, when they were given power after the coup, but their policies are aimed at maintaining the existing system, which is not for the benefit of the poor in this country. If I remember correctly, not too long ago the PAD were trying to push a system where the vast majority of people wouldn't even get a vote, and now they complain about red shirt villages springing up everywhere. It's hardly surprising really, while the PAD try to keep the poor at the bottom of the pile, most people, even though they are denied a decent educational system, can see the evidence of poverty and corruption, caused by the so-called elite, with their own eyes.

So many inaccuracies, so little time.

So many inaccuracies, so little time.

so little inclination not helped by Name and Last Halloween Joined Date

Have the Reds changed their Acronym name to reflect what it truly means

"Meanwhile, Siriwat Chupatmadtha, the coordinator for the Democratic Alliance for Dictatorship, or the red-shirt people, at Phayao province"?

or was that a Miss type on the OPs part?

Edited by dutchweller

Have the Reds changed their Acronym name to reflect what it truly means

"Meanwhile, Siriwat Chupatmadtha, the coordinator for the Democratic Alliance for Dictatorship, or the red-shirt people, at Phayao province"?

or was that a Miss type on the OPs part?

Wouldn't that be DAD? My daughter calls me that

I have justed returned from a village near Surin which I have often visited for the past 10 years I have been here. They support Puea Thai and Thaksin as long as I've known them. They think Puea Thai is the best party for them, one that will listen to the poor country folk and improve their standard of living. Politics is always a topic of conversation with them, especially since Yingluck became PM. There are pictures of her everywhere and lots of people wore red shirts with her face on or red in the land or Yinluck number 1. Even children as young as 3 years old wore these shirts. They say the same thing I read on Thai visa that the democrat party only cares for the rich and won't help them. If the democrats want to gain support in this area they must come and listen to what these people want maybe learn a few tricks from Thaksins populist movement. The democrats must change from there old ways and learn from this new government how to win the peoples hearts, then by the next election they will have a better chance of winning.

why bother, they know that eventually the generals will put them in Government House. Just as inevitable as the electorate voting them out a couple of years later......

Meanwhile, Siriwat Chupatmadtha, the coordinator for the Democratic Alliance for Dictatorship, or the red-shirt people, at Phayao province said that the opening of the red-shirt villages in many provinces are just a form of representing themselves as a community.

Finally, some reporter with the balls to put into print what everybody knows is true. :lol: