Torrents Lcoking Up Computer

Digitalbanana

Could be many things.

My first guess would be too many torrents for the laptop to handle.

Try to crank up the swap file size to 1 gig or 2.

If that doesn't do the trick, try to check if your network card uses the latest (wireless) driver.

Could be many things.

If that doesn't do the trick, try to check if your network card uses the latest (wireless) driver.

By swap file size you mean Windows Page File Size? I have it set to auto and the laptop has 6GB RAM.

All drivers are latest for the Intel 6200 wifi card.

I tried Vuze but that locks up laptop just like BitTorrent and uTorrent. When I can get to network cable, no problem, but that's not always an option. No other software causes any problems just torrents over wifi, very odd!

Other computers on the same network are working? How many computers are linked to this network?

Try disconnecting the other computer(s) on the network and then run the laptop. If the laptop does not freeze up the problem is with your settings or a conflict with one of the other computers on the network or the wifi router.

If more than one other computer is linked to this network add the other computers to the network one at a time. If the first computer added to the network freezes the laptop try another and see if it gets the same result.

Could be many things.

By swap file size you mean Windows Page File Size? I have it set to auto and the laptop has 6GB RAM.

All drivers are latest for the Intel 6200 wifi card.

I tried Vuze but that locks up laptop just like BitTorrent and uTorrent. When I can get to network cable, no problem, but that's not always an option. No other software causes any problems just torrents over wifi, very odd!

which OS are you running?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on the laptop that locks up on wifi and torrents. No other computers on same home network at time. Lock up only when running torrent clients over wifi. The wi-fi card is Intel 6200 with latest drivers and the laptop was purchased in the US. Not sure if that's an issue? All other laptops that don't have a problem do not have Intel wi-fi, were purchased in Thailand and all run similar Windows configurations (all 64 bit, but some have ultimate some have basic, all legit).

I'm thinking of getting another wifi card on Ebay to test, went to Pantip and they don't sell them there when I asked around. I have a USB wifi that works, but inconvenient. It's odd that if the wifi card is at fault, why it only happens on torrents and nothing else using Internet wifi?

I'm thinking of getting another wifi card on Ebay to test, went to Pantip and they don't sell them there when I asked around. I have a USB wifi that works, but inconvenient. It's odd that if the wifi card is at fault, why it only happens on torrents and nothing else using Internet wifi?

Using a Bittorrent program can easily max out your network connection both ways (down and up streams) and at the same time. If there's a glitch in your wifi hardware or possibly in its driver, I'm not suprised at all that only torrenting would trigger it.

I wouldn't focus on the Bittorrent program. It's unlikely to be the culprit here. Try to limit the up/down bandwidth allowed to the Bittorrent program and/or the number of simultanous connections. Most Bittorrent programs if not all have settings for this purpose.

Yes, tried tweaking the BitTorrent settings, albeit to no effect. Helped a little perhaps, with delayed lock up of the entire PC rather than stop the lock ups.

Odd, as I use exact same software on other laptops without issue. I tried a USB wifi stick and turned off the biult in Intel card. Issue goes away. Must be related to Intel card, its drivers and something that is torrent only related as the thing works fine with other internet usage. I have now ordered a new Intel card on Ebay and will try that when it comes... couldn't find them on sale in Pantip.

I was having the same problem with UTORRENT locking up my internet connection and I would have to restart my computer. The various times that I have tried to us it over the last year it was always that same outcome.

Well I had started to mess with it again and found that if I limit the upload and download to only 1 active torrent it seems to work fine but with multiple downloading freezes up.

I would really like to know what the hell happened to it.