Elevator crushes woman to death in New York City

News_Editor

Elevator crushes woman to death in New York City

2011-12-15 18:40:11 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- An elevator at an office building in New York City suddenly moved up on Wednesday morning with its doors open, crushing a woman to death, police said. Two others witnessed the bizarre accident.

The accident happened at around 10.30 a.m. local time on Wednesday at a 28-story building on Madison Avenue. The victim, identified as 41-year-old Suzanne Hart, had stepped halfway onto the elevator when it suddenly shot up, crushing her between the elevator floor and the shaft wall.

Two other people who were on the elevator were not injured, but were treated for trauma after witnessing what was described as a 'gory' scene. "People were running and screaming 'Someone got crushed in the elevator'," one witness told NBC New York.

Hart was the director of new business, content and experience at advertising agency Y&R, which is a major tenant in the building although it recently announced it would move to a new building. Hart was on her way to her office when she was killed. "I loved her. She was a beautiful person," her boyfriend told NBC New York.

Peter Stringham, chairman and CEO of Y&R, called it a tragic day. "We are deeply, deeply saddened to confirm that one of our employees has died," he said. "Our focus at this moment is the well-being of our employee's family and our larger Y&R family."

The elevators at the building were previously cited for city building code violations. An investigation is continuing.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-15

How horrible for all concerned, including those who witnessed this gory scene. I've always been nervous in elevators. Now I'll be even more cautious. Of course, I am also lazy, so I am not about to walk up the stairs.

I wonder what kind of elevator it was?