Thailand Gives Ex-PM Thaksin Passport Back: Govt

webfact

A few hours ago:

Posted Today, 12:07

RT @tulsathit: Surapong also says passport can now be issued for Thaksin, "but I don't know if it's been issued."

It was issued 1.5 months ago - but he had no clue? That it was issued on the same day he removed the blacklisting. Even though he removed the blacklist since Thaksin requested a new passport? What does he thinks happens when someone asks for a passport in general?

Well, I'll tell you what doesn't happen...people don't get it flown out with diplomatic mail or diplomat courier.

Unless there is a corrupt government in place.

Are you trying to somehow educate us? Do you think there is a single person on the planet that does not know how corrupt the Thai government is?

More than "a single person", there's an entire roster of posters here who would argue all sorts ways to dispute that.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, there is nothing to defend nor anything to condemn. The man has a Thai passport again, big deal. It was an administrative action to take it away,and the same to reissue it. The action neither provides amnesty, nor puts him in jail. It changes noting regarding his mobility, It doesn't change a thing -not in the big picture, nor in the little picture.

But the show for the last month about "going to give Thaksin hispassport" when in fact everyone knew he already had it (or should haveknown), that IS laughable...

2 different things...

I was fully aware of there being two issues here. One, the matter of convicted criminals being issued with passports, and two, the matter of a FM telling the country that the government was considering issuing a passport to aconvicted criminal, when in fact it had already been issued nearly two months ago.

And i was also already aware of your position on these two issues. On the matter of the rights and wrongs of issuing of passports to convicted criminals who have fled the country, you feel indifferent. It's a position that i do find bizarre, and a position i can't imagine you taking, had say a crime been committed against you, and the culprit had fled. Hard to imagine in those circumstances, you feeling indifferent to the government not only issuing the culprit a passport, but personally delivering it to their door. One would imagine you might feel outraged. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Anyway, as confusing as i find your position on all that, it wasn't that position that i was questioning you on. It was with regards the FM dishing out all the bullshit over the last week that he has done, and your reaction to that: one of amusement. It's like i said, and like FarangOtang infers below,all those who have over the last year or so, insisted on having no particular party allegiance, nor any particular affection for Thaksin or the Shinawatras - just a desire to see the poor get a better deal - all those people, have the perfect opportunity in a situation like this, where the government has so blatantly messed around, so blatantly lied, to come out and demonstrate that claimed neutrality, by expressing their own condemnation. None of them, nor you, have been able to bring yourself to. The best you can do is chuckle, laugh, or mock those who have expressed disgust.

Fair enough, up to you, but just remember, next time you get accused of being in Thaksin's pocket, this is one of the reasons why, and one of the reasons few take you seriously when you deny it.

Whether Thaksin got a passport here, or a passport there, or a passport shoved up his shiny licked clean a$, is not the main point IMO.

Its that a senior member of government has blatantly hoodwinked the people again, - and like little kids,others gloat and laugh at the shenanigans!

Always appreciative of efforts to clarify things more clearly through the fog.

Thank you.

A few hours ago:

RT @tulsathit: Surapong also says passport can now be issued for Thaksin, "but I don't know if it's been issued."

It was issued 1.5 months ago - but he had no clue? That it was issued on the same day he removed the blacklisting. Even though he removed the blacklist since Thaksin requested a new passport? What does he thinks happens when someone asks for a passport in general?

Well, I'll tell you what doesn't happen...people don't get it flown out with diplomatic mail or diplomat courier.

Are you trying to somehow educate us? Do you think there is a single person on the planet that does not know how corrupt the Thai government is?

More than "a single person", there's an entire roster of posters here who would argue all sorts ways to dispute that.

Do you really believe that?

I have never seen a single poster here state that the Thai Government is not corrupt, this one, the one before, the one before that, etc...

But maybe you should restricting yourself to posting what you think instead of posting what others think...

I think that would be a good idea.

Rixalex, surely you cannot think that I am in Thaksin's pocket, nor that it even matters?

It is not a matter of "the best I can do is...", it is a matter that his passport is insignificant.

The same applies to the underprivileged/poor in Thailand getting more from their gov't. This passport issue has no significance on their plight.

For most of the Thai people, and all of the expats, this passport thing is just a side-show. That is why I do not take it seriously.

To repeat for the third or forth time, the issue that i am talking about, the issue you find funny, is not the issue of Thaksin being given his passport back, it is the issue of the stupid games that the government have got up to in that process. Government playing games does have an affect on the poor. It has an affect on everyone in the country. Yet your only reaction is amusement. It says a lot.

Do you really believe that?

No, I don't think there's a single person that believes it either. However there is a certain element here that not only condones corruption, but actually revels in it, if it is seen to further the ends of whomever they support. That's a bit hard to stomach.

Montenegro revokes Mr T's passport because he harms Montenegro?

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

Sorry i believe that a passport is a human right, especially when your out of the Country. It is a deprivation of the right to travel. Even if you accept that he was guilty of the offence that he was convicted of, is the removal of his passport justified ? If they were consistent and did it for people convicted of more serious criminal activity then i might have some sympathy. This was a political act and nothing more.

I am not aware of other established democracies removing natural born citizens passports on such spurious grounds.

You are joking

the man is a convicted criminal

Fraud is a criminal offence nothing to do with politics

It was for self gain

I have seen people with far less offences have their passports taken off them

A few hours ago:

Are you trying to somehow educate us? Do you think there is a single person on the planet that does not know how corrupt the Thai government is? Was there a point to your post?

So people aren't ignorant, they are merely dishonest, when they say they want a good pro-democracy government? Because that clearly isn't these guys.

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

He also holds a well paid for Nicaraguan passport! How is it that something this divisive in the country and the PM Yingluck plays her "I don't know, don't ask me" card? Frightening when Thaksin fomented

the Red Shirt demonstrations ---- incited terrorist acts and they find him harmless!

A few hours ago:

I would think that countries, that still offer their nationals passport service overseas, would most probably send the passports in diplomatic pouches. Notable exceptions being countries that out-source or centralize, resulting in passport being sent by post. They aren't necessarily pouches either. It's a figure of speech.

There is no figure of speech here! I can go to the US Embassy in Bangkok and request a replacement passport and it will not be done while I wait! Thailand issues from more than one location ---- issued in Bangkok and over nighted through Thai diplomatic services ---- that's not Joe or Jane Public service! That had to have been done at a very HIGH level which no one knows about!

He also holds a well paid for Nicaraguan passport! How is it that something this divisive in the country and the PM Yingluck plays her "I don't know, don't ask me" card? Frightening when Thaksin fomented

the Red Shirt demonstrations ---- incited terrorist acts and they find him harmless!

Scary isn't it.... how much influence one man has.

Very exclusive first class ones,but only in Thailand,lol

Added to which, what possible use could a criminal convicted to two years in jail have for using one? Do prisons organise overseas trips for inmates or something?

Yingluck as the 44-year-old leader, who was a political novice before taking office in August

was..novice..before!!

If she was a political novice before August what is she now? An expert! Hardly; she is still a novice and will be for a long time.

P.S. Thaksin's passport should only be valid for one direction of travel....STRAIGHT TO THAI JAIL. He is a fugitive felon after all. What other direction of travel would this government want him to take?

Edited by KKK

RT @tulsathit: TR @Neaw_NBC: PM on Thaksin passport: I've just learned about it. #smsMCOT

:blink: Does the PM actually know anything thats going on in this country?

It might be justifiably the truth that she says "Ive just learned about it" as she learned nothing of it from her sources except from her brother!

She will learn more after the public reveals what she refuses to see.

I trust the people that are so outraged by Thaksin getting his passport back have plans to leave the country once he makes his triumphant return?

...or at least stop posting on this forum.

:D

On that basis, did you stop posting when Thaksin was convicted?

I trust the people that are so outraged by Thaksin getting his passport back have plans to leave the country once he makes his triumphant return?

I do not consider that a reappearance in this country of the megalomaniac Khun_T who is the root cause of it's deep polarisation could be considered "triumphant" in any way, shape or form.

And actually, I did plan to leave, and I will finally move next week.

really fun thread you guys have going here ;)

But seriously, in October, Thaksin had a passport, traveled internationally, and could not return to Thailand without going to jail. Now it is December, Thaksin has a passport, travels internationally, and cannot return to Thailand without going to jail.

Sooooooooooo, .... ?

I think the outrage is that having a government that so blatantly operate towards only one individual, that is convicted for crimes and facing more crimes against the nation, and that they cannot ever bring themselves to be truthful.

It is if every part of their being is to always lie. Truth comes as an after-thought, if ever. There is a physiological term for these kind of individuals.

You have succeeded in awakening my interest in this truly boring thread; what is that "physiological term"?

• 6 months later...

Thaksin's Passport Reinstated Since Oct 26

Foreign Ministry Spokesman Thani Thongpakdi affirms the Thai passport of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was reinstated since October 26 as he was no longer on the ministry's blacklist.

He said Thaksin had applied for a Thai passport at the Royal Thai Embassy in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates on October 25. Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul approved the issuance of the passport and a passport was issued to Thaksin on October 26.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-16

footer_n.gif

So all the news pronouncements in the other 400 post thread are all brazen, known, bald-faced lies...

with his passport already having been issued over a month beforehand:

Thailand to issue passport for ex-PM Thaksin soon: FM

BANGKOK, December 2, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand will issue a passport for its fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra "very soon," his sister's government said Friday, angering the controversial ex-leader's opponents.

Ya gotta hand it to Yingluck's government.

They can lie with straight faces and tell the populace to f*** o** without batting an eye.

Surapong to visit Duibai Wednesday

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul is going to Dubai to attend the anti-piracy conference Wednesday and Thursday, spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said Tuesday.

The conference is hosted by the United Arab Emirates government and DP World company, fourth largest marine port company in the world.

Surapong and high ranking government officials from 50 countries as well as executives of cruise industry would share experience and ideas of how the government and private sectors can join hands to solve piracy problems sustainably as they affect national and regional security, Thani said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-26

Thaksin's Passport Reinstated Since Oct 26

Foreign Ministry Spokesman Thani Thongpakdi affirms the Thai passport of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was reinstated since October 26 as he was no longer on the ministry's blacklist.

He said Thaksin had applied for a Thai passport at the Royal Thai Embassy in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates on October 25. Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul approved the issuance of the passport and a passport was issued to Thaksin on October 26.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-16

footer_n.gif

So all the news pronouncements in the other 400 post thread are all brazen, known, bald-faced lies...

with his passport already having been issued over a month beforehand:

Thailand to issue passport for ex-PM Thaksin soon: FM

BANGKOK, December 2, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand will issue a passport for its fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra "very soon," his sister's government said Friday, angering the controversial ex-leader's opponents.

Ya gotta hand it to Yingluck's government.

They can lie with straight faces and tell the populace to f*** o** without batting an eye.

Surapong to visit Duibai Wednesday

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul is going to Dubai to attend the anti-piracy conference Wednesday and Thursday, spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said Tuesday.

The conference is hosted by the United Arab Emirates government and DP World company, fourth largest marine port company in the world.

Surapong and high ranking government officials from 50 countries as well as executives of cruise industry would share experience and ideas of how the government and private sectors can join hands to solve piracy problems sustainably as they affect national and regional security, Thani said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-26

I bet he has an eye patch on and a parrot on his shoulder.

A slender excuse to get his nose in the groove

• Like 1

Well all I know is that there is an area in Dubai where there are about 500 market stalls and shops that sell nothing but counterfiet goods in the area of ......... in Dubai. Nothing will change and if it does then people will stop traveling to Dubai for shopping!

Why is this topic marked "HOT"? It has been dead for 6 months.

It has been revitalised by buchholz with a tenuous link to the foreign minister going to dubai so that he (buchholz) can drag up an old link to passports for thaksin - he'll stoop stop at nothing to have a dig at thaksin, the red shirts, PTP etc. whenever he can. Surely you've noticed this kind of behaviour by him before?

It's usually followed by a mock outrage reply saying that he was only providing information to the forum members.....................

• Like 1

Why is this topic marked "HOT"? It has been dead for 6 months.

It has been revitalised by buchholz with a tenuous link to the foreign minister going to dubai so that he (buchholz) can drag up an old link to passports for thaksin - he'll stoop stop at nothing to have a dig at thaksin, the red shirts, PTP etc. whenever he can. Surely you've noticed this kind of behaviour by him before?

It's usually followed by a mock outrage reply saying that he was only providing information to the forum members.....................

It's not that I come to the defence of member Buchholz or even assume he needs defending, it's just to set some things straight wink.png

The question from JSbkk was 'why is this topic hot'. The answer is not 'has been revitalised'. The answer is much more profound and modern day complicated:

The frontend used by TV (i.e. the software package which offers the WYSIWYG and other types of functionality) has a buildin algorithm which can conclude that because of the number of posts to a topic (in #/day, #/topic lifetime, etc.) the topic can be flagged 'hot'. Another word for 'hot' would be "of people's interest".

BTW Mnister of FA Surapong may well ask k. Thaksin if he's happy with his new and shiny passport. Nothing personal of course, just trying to gather some information on how the public percieves the current government's performance and gathering information which may help the TAT in their campaigns rolleyes.gif

edit: add: I know I should have started my reply with " it's not because I like ...", terribly sorry, bad form, what was I thinking giggle.gif

Edited by rubl