Thailand Gives Ex-PM Thaksin Passport Back: Govt

webfact

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revoking Thaksin's Thai passport did nothing to stop him, and reissuing it won't have any effect either. This action by the current government has no purpose other than to act as a slap in the face to everyone who believes in justice and fairness. The more I see of the contempt that Thaksin supporters show to their fellow countrymen, the more I realize the PAD was totally and completely correct.

Those who support Thaksin don't believe in the rule of law. Those who don't believe in the rule of law do not believe in democracy.

Thailand needs to become a military dictatorship until the Thai people, specifically the Thaksin supporters, become mature enough and educated enough to demonstrate their understanding of the responsibilities that a democracy requires. Right now, the red shirts are incapable of it. The experiment in self rule should be abandoned immediately and military rule restored.

Thailand needs to become a military dictatorship until the Thai people become mature enough and educated enough

What a disgusting statement. bah.gif

Actually there's two in the same posting

"the more I realize the PAD was totally correct."

Thailand deserves better than any of these 'alternatives", red shirts, yellow shirts or the army.

Thailand needs to become a military dictatorship until the Thai people become mature enough and educated enough

There is nothing disgusting about the statement, the guy is just expressing his opinion, which an individual such as yourself may find disgusting. At the present moment it seems that Miss Yingluck and company are acting as though there were in a slap stick comedy and just making things up as they go along. The powers that be will no doubt be watching closely and will step in should they feel that chaos might ensue.

Montenegro revokes Mr T's passport because he harms Montenegro?

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

Added to which, what possible use could a criminal convicted to two years in jail have for using one? Do prisons organise overseas trips for inmates or something?

The passport was revoked on a ministerial order. The passport was then reinstated on a ministerial order.

The legality of issuing the passport is not in question. The decision to revoke the passport was rooted in politics and the decision to reinstate the passport was rooted in politics.

I know a guy who is wanted by the police, he can't extent his passport. (he get only one for 3 month, valid for the guest-country only, just to travel home)

he has nothing to do with politics.

Actually the last coup and subsequent military government was very similar to the original Roman idea of Dictatorship:

In the Roman Republic the term "Dictator" did not have the negative meaning it has later assumed. Rather, a Dictator was a person given sole power (unlike the normal Roman republican practice, where rule was divided between two equal Consuls) for a specific limited period, in order to deal with an emergency. At the end of his term, the Dictator was supposed to hand power over to the normal Consular rule and give account of his actions - and Roman Dictators usually did.

No, it wasn't democratic, but the country was heading into turmoil over the undemocratic and self serving shenanigans of Thaksin, after that the return to elections was relatively fast and painless.

Unfortunately, the facts about Thaksin that have been exposed since then have failed to convince a sizable portion of Thai electorate that he is unworthy of holding a position of power; alas, a victory of relentless propaganda and perception management.

Revoking Thaksin's Thai passport did nothing to stop him, and reissuing it won't have any effect either. This action by the current government is nothing more than a slap in the face to everyone who believes in justice and fairness. The more I see of the contempt that Thaksin supporters show to their fellow countrymen, the more I realize the PAD was totally correct.

Those who support Thaksin don't believe in the rule of law. Those who don't believe in the rule of law do not believe in democracy.

Thailand needs to become a military dictatorship until the Thai people become mature enough and educated enough to assume

Well said!

How can democracy function in a country where the majority of the electorate are happy to sell their vote to the highest bidder?

No capacity...

don't make me laugh,

you only need a room the locks from the outside.

Embassies certainly do have military and policing security, holding cells and CAN hold people, based on the laws of the home country, since embassy land IS the home country. As well as diplomatic pouches, vehicles and aircraft.

That is why Thaksin has not stepped foot in a Thai diplomatic mission since the surprise visit to file his divorce to Potajamin. Just long enough to file the papers in front of embassy / consulate staff and leave before they can get instructions on what to do with him. The instructions were reportedly changed for all consular or higher properties AFTER that, in case he ever did set foot on them again.

No clue where you come up with this desperate sounding yet erroneous stuff.

Granted your bunch have something of a trackrecord for detaining people in foreign territory in all sorts of premises, until surprise surprise, they pop up in Cuba a few months later! However even given the strength of your loathing for Mr Thaksin, locking him up because he enters the Thai Embassy in Dubai seems a trifle OTT!

Edited by JAG

Revoking Thaksin's Thai passport did nothing to stop him, and reissuing it won't have any effect either. This action by the current government is nothing more than a slap in the face to everyone who believes in justice and fairness. The more I see of the contempt that Thaksin supporters show to their fellow countrymen, the more I realize the PAD was totally correct.

Thailand needs to become a military dictatorship until the Thai people become mature enough and educated enough to assume

Or at least until they fall in line with your view of how they should run their country. :lol:

A few hours ago:

Posted Today, 12:07

RT @tulsathit: Surapong also says passport can now be issued for Thaksin, "but I don't know if it's been issued."

It was issued 1.5 months ago - but he had no clue? That it was issued on the same day he removed the blacklisting. Even though he removed the blacklist since Thaksin requested a new passport? What does he thinks happens when someone asks for a passport in general?

Well, I'll tell you what doesn't happen...people don't get it flown out with diplomatic mail or diplomat courier.

Unless there is a corrupt government in place.

I would think that countries, that still offer their nationals passport service overseas, would most probably send the passports in diplomatic pouches. Notable exceptions being countries that out-source or centralize, resulting in passport being sent by post. They aren't necessarily pouches either. It's a figure of speech.

You pick up your passport at en Embassy, a diplomat courier doesn't fly it out personally from your country to meet you at your destination of choice to personally hand it to you.

No, it wasn't democratic, but the country was heading into turmoil over the undemocratic and self serving shenanigans of Thaksin, after that the return to elections was relatively fast and painless.

Relatively painless excepting the martial law, airport takeovers, riots in central Bangkok and the numerous other debacles and crises that have happened since 2006 which have left Thailand's reputation in tatters and cost the country billions upon billions in lost revenue.

Montenegro revokes Mr T's passport because he harms Montenegro?

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

Accepted.

No capacity...

don't make me laugh,

Embassies certainly do have military and policing security, holding cells and CAN hold people, based on the laws of the home country, since embassy land IS the home country. As well as diplomatic pouches, vehicles and aircraft.

That is why Thaksin has not stepped foot in a Thai diplomatic mission since the surprise visit to file his divorce to Potajamin. Just long enough to file the papers in front of embassy / consulate staff and leave before they can get instructions on what to do with him. The instructions were reportedly changed for all consular or higher properties AFTER that, in case he ever did set foot on them again.

Granted your bunch have something of a trackrecord for detaining people in foreign territory in all sorts of premises, until surprise surprise, they pop up in Cuba a few months later! However even given the strength of your loathing for Mr Thaksin, locking him up because he enters the Thai Embassy in Dubai seems a trifle OTT!

Sorry dude, I don't have a "bunch".

If the law says he can be arrested for absconding, then he can be arrested. Simple as that.

It's not common but it does happen. And the host country has no say,

because they are NOT the country the arrestee is standing on.

No capacity...

don't make me laugh,

Sorry dude, I don't have a "bunch".

If the law says he can be arrested for absconding, then he can be arrested. Simple as that.

It's not common but it does happen. And the host country has no say,

because they are NOT the country the arrestee is standing on.

I don't mean to be disagreeable, however looking through the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic relations sheds some light on this.

Basically an embassy or diplomatic mission do NOT enjoy (full) extraterritorial status and are not sovereign territory of the represented state.

Ugh, I hate wiki links, but it is the easiest to read..... http://en.wikipedia....aterritoriality

In the end it depends on the particular agreement between the host state and the guest. IMHO any normal consular staff would seek permission from not only their own government but also the host state before taking such action.

Cheers

Edited by airconsult

In the early days of her premiership, Thaksin appeared keen to boost his profile with part controversial trips to Japan and Cambodia, but he has largely remained silent during the flood crisis, which is now largely over.

An we all know why an what was gonna happen ,the saddest part is we all know the future.

The next high season is well an trully buggerd again.

well i and my thai family would much prefer a military government than this lot of totally corrupt robber barons they would not be worse thats for sure and we can only hope yet again the army will save Thailand from itself before your hero completely takes over and starts reeducating peole pol pot style. I find people like you disgusting even though you are either totally naive deluded or just plain stupid bah.gif

Land Of Shame

Sad that farang are assumed guilty and treated like scum

by the same people who worship a convicted criminal!

99.9% of the time we are forced to pay a dirty cop but their leaders break rules of law or look the other way in a very blatant criminal manner.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Foreign Minister lied saying he knew nothing about this Passport issue.

Well we have seen an uprising around the world, it's Thailand turn.

This is just too much BS.

Uprising starts tomorrow with Yellow Shirts.

Edited by LindsayBKK

well i and my thai family would much prefer a military government than this lot of totally corrupt robber barons they would not be worse thats for sure and we can only hope yet again the army will save Thailand from itself before your hero completely takes over and starts reeducating peole pol pot style. I find people like you disgusting even though you are either totally naive deluded or just plain stupid bah.gif

Your beloved Thai military gave refuge to Pol Pot in Thailand back in the 80's when he fled from the Vietnamese.

whistling.gif

well i and my thai family would much prefer a military government than this lot of totally corrupt robber barons they would not be worse thats for sure

A Thai history lesson is in order as the regimes of fascist military dictators throughout the years have invariably been worse and arguably more corrupt.

well i and my thai family would much prefer a military government than this lot of totally corrupt robber barons they would not be worse thats for sure

A Thai history lesson is in order as the regimes of fascist military dictators throughout the years have invariably been worse and arguably more corrupt.

if you say so I only know what Taksin could do and how army have been here in many coups If Taksin was only corrupt their would be little problem but he is hell bent on total control and all that entails. And please educate us Greek military take over, Franco was not nice but no way a pol pot and people like Hitler and Mugabwie were not a military dictatorship or Saddam they were plain and simple 1 man total control which Taksin wants and could achieve. I am just saying id rather given record here have the Army with all their corruption control government that Taksin since their seems no other alternative. You can argue for ever weather military control is worse than one man dictators but I am sure here it is a much better alternative than Taksin and his bunch of red shirt thugs. ??? Ive lived here over 15+ years and know which is better I doubt you even live here or if you do have not been here for long and definitely did not follow how Taksin was starting to control everything. But then armchair people like you who probably dont live in real world always know better than those whove lived through what is way here whistling.gif

Relatively painless excepting the martial law, airport takeovers, riots in central Bangkok and the numerous other debacles and crises that have happened since 2006 which have left Thailand's reputation in tatters and cost the country billions upon billions in lost revenue.

Hate to beak your bubble but the air port take overs and riots in central Bangkok were done under a democratic Government.

I for one think Thailand does not need that kind of Democracy and if it takes an military take over to put a end to it so be it.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs that those kind of actions can be tolerated just because it is a Democracy.

What was so terrible about the military it would not have allowed either one of those actions. Doe's that bother you.

Don't know if this is OK but CNN is making Thailand look like a our gang comedy.:(

Thailand has reissued a passport to fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Mr Thaksin was given his passport back in October because he was "no longer a threat to the country", a foreign ministry spokesman told the BBC.

Mr Thaksin lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a jail term imposed on him for abusing his powers while in office.

His passport was revoked under the previous government but the current PM is his sister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Since her administration came to power in August it has made no secret of the fact that it wished to reverse the decision, the BBC's Rachel Harvey in Bangkok reports.

Bravo, Mr. Surapong! You have just made sure that the so-called "reconciliation" you, your government and your PTP buddies are constantly flogging has moved a few fathoms away. But then again, it never really was about "reconciliation", was it? It was, always has been and always will be just about 1 man.

The Foreign Minister clearly lied , saying he knew nothing about the passport. Loved the part where Yingluck said with a straight face she also knew nothing about the passport. Then I realized there has been in essence a constant stream of lies over the last few months. Why is that ?? Is this government so arrogant it simply lies to the peasants, then later if you get caught like the Foreign Minister, it seems to be no problem. Or are they so stupid they simply get tripped up in all these lies???