How Long Have You Been In Thailand

MrsMills

I'm a tourist.

Only been retired here for 18 months.

Another 5 or 6 years I'll be qualified to have an opinion. :rolleyes:

There are some posters OC who have valid opinions on life in Thailand after having been living here here for just a short time, then there are those who's opinion will never count, despite living here for much of their lives, if that makes any sense at all.

Bit of a thread <deleted> that ennit chiang mai?

In English means what please?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a tourist.

There are some posters OC who have valid opinions on life in Thailand after having been living here here for just a short time, then there are those who's opinion will never count, despite living here for much of their lives, if that makes any sense at all.

I had to go back and read your post again CM to see what the gist of it was. :D

When I posted, I wasn't picking on what you said, just having a bit of a laugh at many peoples attitudes here.

Much of what I put in Thaivisa is just my version of humour. :D

I'm a tourist.

I had to go back and read your post again CM to see what the gist of it was. :D

When I posted, I wasn't picking on what you said, just having a bit of a laugh at many peoples attitudes here.

Much of what I put in Thaivisa is just my version of humour. :D

I understand, the continuity of the subject in the posts is 1, 2, 9, 24 where Wayne starts to talk about the quality of the views coming from some so called long term expats and I just picked up on that point - your comment about not being here long enough seemed to fit right into that conversation. FWIW your views on life here have always come across to me as well reasoned and worth taking on board, even if some are meant in jest.

17 years living here, my present Departure/Arrival card dates back to 1996. Thats the last time I left the country.

Cyber visit TV everyday.

Hahaha i think a few posters missed this little gem! smile.gif so that's a wonderful 15 year O/S ,,,top banana to you.

I'm a tourist.

Bit of a thread <deleted> that ennit chiang mai?

In English means what please?

The best thread f*ckers are always the innocent ones.

who cares ?

this is when the I've lived here longer than you people come out and try to outdo each other with their knowledge of the price for a Singha in 1926. One thing I have found ( 2 things actually ) is that there is ALWAYS someone who has been here longer than you and there is always someone who can speak better Thai than you.

I don't want to know how you met your wife in 1974 in Petchabun.

I'm a tourist.

I know one person who married a Thai and lived here 20 years, but speaks no Thai, understand nothing, and hates everything Thai (his wife told me this).

Yet there are others I know who have been here one year, speak Thai and have a firm grasp of the situation.

I assume forum posters follow similar patterns of behavior.

Knowledge acquired is not dependent on length of time spent in any particular situation.

I'm a tourist.

I know one person who married a Thai and lived here 20 years, but speaks no Thai, understand nothing, and hates everything Thai (his wife told me this).

Yet there are others I know who have been here one year, speak Thai and have a firm grasp of the situation.

I assume forum posters follow similar patterns of behavior.

Knowledge acquired is not dependent on length of time spent in any particular situation.

How true, but it doesn't make anyone's job any easier, newbie or long term ex-pats, trying to figure out which poster is full of wisdom and which ones are spouting bovine digested foodstuffs.

I think most of the time for anyone who has lived a normal life here for even a shortish amount of time, it is blatantly obvious which posters don't live here and really don't have a clue what they are talking about (otherwise known as spouting bovine digested foodstuffs). ;)

17 years living here, my present Departure/Arrival card dates back to 1996. Thats the last time I left the country.

Cyber visit TV everyday.

Hahaha i think a few posters missed this little gem! smile.gif so that's a wonderful 15 year O/S ,,,top banana to you.

I presume by O/S you mean overstay?

Why would having a departure card from 1996 mean you are on 15 years overstay? :whistling:

Edited by madjbs

there is always someone who can speak better Thai than you.

I had the misfortune to get into a conversation ( well basically he blocked the way to the exit and there was no escape) with a fellow westerner who told me he spoke better Thai than any Thai he had ever encountered in Khon Kaen.

I stopped going to bars that had more than one or two expats inside not long after that. Life's too short etc.

I think most of the time for anyone who has lived a normal life here for even a shortish amount of time, it is blatantly obvious which posters don't live here and really don't have a clue what they are talking about (otherwise known as spouting bovine digested foodstuffs). ;)

I don't agree, the reality of an ex-pat living near a big city, on a hi-so mooban, surrounded by English speaking people, will be vastly different from the reality of an ex-pat living in a primitive village in Nakon Nowhere, surrounded by rural uneducated Thais. Many people live in Thailand but don't interact with Thai people in any significant way.

What about those (NGO, teachers, health care, missionaries) who live with hilltribe people, my local Mong village appear to speak Chinese, and behave in a totally different way to most Thais.

Edited by ludditeman

Well I would think that anyone who had lived here would understand the differences between your two different scenarios, hence why they would be able to pick out the BS on this forum pretty easily, even if it's from a different reality from their own immediate one.

Although, perhaps I overestimate peoples ability to see things from other points of view!

My company first sent me here in 1993 for 3 months then once again in 1994 until 1997.

The company also sent me to other places until I quit them in 1999 and went contracting and came back again in 2001 and sort of moved over here then and have lived here ever since except for off shore work. I finally retired in 2009.

I met my current Thai wife on my first trip, divorced my UK wife after the second trip.

Remarried between the second and 3rd trips and our son was born 7 years ago.

We live out in a small village and yes I do at least try to talk to Thais but at my age 67, partial deafness and a lot of tone deafness speaking Thai is not that easy.

Having lived and worked in some 38 countries in my life Thailand is my choice of home.

I think we're missing the point here.

The main question should be : Are we trying to fit in, to be part in the society we live in? Or are we just sitting on the side bad mouthing everything around us.

I've the feeling a number of posters here show little knowledge of Thailand, not because they don't live here, or not long enough, but just because they have no interest in being involved in anything Thai.

Cyber visit TV everyday.

I presume by O/S you mean overstay?

Why would having a departure card from 1996 mean you are on 15 years overstay? :whistling:

"present departure/arrival card" also the another clue "that the last time i left the country" but it was a humorous observation sorry if you are being picky rolleyes.gif

I've the feeling a number of posters here show little knowledge of Thailand, not because they don't live here, or not long enough, but just because they have no interest in being involved in anything Thai.

I agree. But there's only so much karaoke bars or nights out in a Thai coffee shop that a white man can reasonably do.