55-Year-Old Man Held For Planting Six Bombs In Bangkok

webfact

Man, 55, held for planting six bombs in Bangkok

The Nation

30172052-01_big.jpg

Police arrested a 55-year-old man at 3am yesterday for allegedly planting six homemade bombs at three spots in Bangkok.

The suspect, Jeerawat Janpeng, was paraded in front of reporters at the Metropolitan Police Bureau but he did not answer any question. When pressed by reporters, Jeerawat just smiled and lowered his eyes. "I will speak only in court," he said.

Sitting next to the suspect at the press conference were Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and Metropolitan Police Commissioner General Priewpan Damapong.

Chalerm provided the information on the case and answered most of the questions at the press conference.

Chalerm said the suspect, a goat raiser, came from Sakon Nakhon and was staying in Bangkok's Lak Si district.

The deputy PM alleged that Jeerawat placed six homemade bombs at three spots. One bomb was placed at the Bangkok Bank building, Sukhumvit 77 branch. The bomb was supposed to be detonated with a remote control. Two other bombs were stuffed in a PVC pipe and left at the mouth of Soi Kanchanapisek 89. They were found with a timer.

Chalerm said three other bombs were inside PVC pipes and placed under Nong Preu Bridge, Lat Krabang. They too were found with a timer.

The deputy prime minister did not say how the man had obtained the homemade bombs.

Police safely disposed of all these bombs. There was no casualty.

Jeerawat has been charged with unauthorised use/possession of explosives. If convicted, he faces a jail term of two years up. The maximum penalty is life imprisonment.

When reporters directed many questions at the suspect, Chalerm cut short the press conference. Chalerm said he had ended the press conference because Priewpan was very sleepy.

Chalerm concluded the event by saying that Bangkok residents could now celebrate the New Year without worrying about bomb attacks.

The press conference lasted for just 20 minutes.

According to Chalerm, it was Priewpan who informed him of the arrest.

"I've told you that he works well. But many of you claimed that I supported his promotion to the helm of the police force because he's a relative of Khunying [Pojaman na Pombejra]," Chalerm said.

The deputy prime minister said he and the government were lucky to have Priewpan working for them.

Priewpan said the circuit of the bomb found at Bangkok Bank's Sukhumvit 77 branch was similar to that of the bomb found in front of Government Lottery Office earlier this month.

Asked how the suspect was arrested so easily this time, Chalerm said, "Police found him when he was on his way to plant the bomb."

Chalerm said police believed he had accomplices but had to gather evidence first.

Responding to the arrest, Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva urged the government to investigate the case further and provide clarity.

"I wonder who will want to stir up the situation at this time," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-17

Chalerm concluded the event by saying that Bangkok residents could now celebrate the New Year without worrying about bomb attacks.
Fake bomb placed at Bangkhen train station; police believe it's attempt to stir up unrest /TANN

Never laughed so much in my life, propaganda at it's most transparent.

"Chalerm said the suspect, a goat raiser, came from Sakon Nakhon and was staying in Bangkok's Lak Si district".

The qualifications and job description of a goat raiser and a bomb maker are very similar. They also get very sleepy during press conferences. He's the culprit no doubt about it.

"Chalerm concluded the event by saying that Bangkok residents could now celebrate the New Year without worrying about bomb attacks".......

......."and how, the multitude of people gathered did cheer at this joyous news, and the ones that wore the yellow shirts and the ones that wore the red shirts got up and danced and hugged each other, and the Lord from Dubai himself did ride in triumphantly from Suvarnabhumi and the people did strew the ground in front of him with garlands, and everybody lived happily ever after".

And then I woke up!

Just one question. What the f-k has Chalerm in this picture to do? Is he normally alerted if the police find fake bombs somewhere? The suspect is a goat raiser. Was it in that capacity he met Chalerm? Fitting.

This farce is getting overwhelming. The Marx Brothers could not have done it better.

Chalerm said the suspect, a goat raiser

Once again The Nation demonstrating their complete and utter inability in using the English language.

I believe the correct terminology is "Bovid levitation engineer"

Just one question. What the f-k has Chalerm in this picture to do? Is he normally alerted if the police find fake bombs somewhere? The suspect is a goat raiser. Was it in that capacity he met Chalerm? Fitting.

This farce is getting overwhelming. The Marx Brothers could not have done it better.

Amazing Thailand

I live in Laksi, home of the goat raiser. This guy used to sell coconuts near us. When the red shirts gathered last year he ditched the coconuts and sold red shirts, flags and so on and is a well known red shirt supporter. Needless to say nobody in Laksi thinks that this was an actual bomb plot.

It reads like the story a 7 year old would tell. Good policemen although sleepy; a relation but the best man for the job; I told you so and now it's true; no go away and be safe - we have the bomber. Goat raisers make bombs, arabs eat pork, the world is flat and Rome was built in a day. All on Phantasy Island. The Thai people are either very childish and treated so. Or the polifticians themselves are naive, child like and lacking understanding of the graqvity of office. It seems a cartoon world where the Thai people are perhaps so suppressed as to be unable to criticise this rubbish, speak out against it and demand a better system through change. The latter would necessitate a working democracy and an effective electoral system. There remains little hope. I truly despair for the Thai people who are led by these self serving imbeciles.

Edited by housepainter

Fake bomb placed at Bangkhen train station; police believe it's attempt to stir up unrest /TANN

"Two other bombs were stuffed in a PVC pipe and left at the mouth of Soi Kanchanapisek 89"

Interesting geography this, a river named after a side street with a double-digit number in it, fairly unique I would think!!!!!!!

Any odds that if this gets to court he gets 2 years, serves 6 months, 500,000 baht stuffed in his bank account (RBGH) or Royal Bank of Goat Herders and he retires early to Yala with his 72 virgins in toe (the only catch is that he has to become a human bomb first and cannot touch his goods until he gets more proficient at setting off bombs)!!!! I'll give 5-1 that this happens (of course I made the bit up about the bank) so this bit isn't included in the outcome for betting purposes!!!!B).

• 2 weeks later...

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I have an American friend who lives close to where I am whose Thai wife believes that a lot things that are simply not true are fact, but when presented with the facts says that it cannot be true, this is not just in regard to what happens here in Thailand but what is said about people in other Asian countries.