Best Way To Dry/Seal An Ac When Moving?

TravelerEastWest

Best way to dry/seal an AC when moving?

An AC service person told me to remove my AC units (Carrier split inverters about 2 years old with newer 410 fluid and 7 year compressor warranty) about one week before moving to let them dry before packing them for storage - which could be for a couple of years.

The problem is that we need our ACs both for sleeping and to run a business during the day so a week in the hot season won't be a realistic option.

1) I wonder if this is a good option: Remove units one day before moving - pack and then when arriving a couple of days later open the boxes for a week and let them dry and then repack them.

2) Also I wonder how long can you store ACs with fluid in them?

3) Any other advice?

As a side note before we bought these ACs we had older ACs and we noticed a reduction in our electric bill of about 50% over the last two years.

4) We run the ACs at least 8 hours a day sometimes 24 hours, is 24 hours a problem?

Edited by TravelerEastWest

Most AC units have a "dry" setting specifically designed to dry out the evaporator coils (your inside unit) This just runs air over the coils to dry them out before turning off.

I would clean the evaporator coils as best you can (you can get spray foams to do this) then run it on the dry setting or just turn up the temp so the compressor doesn't kick in and run it for a couple of hours so it can dry thoroughly. You can also put the evaporators in the sun for a while as well once you have them removed.

The compressor will be fine, just get the AC man to disconnect them ensuring the valves are shut first trapping the gas inside. When you recommission them they will need to be topped up with the correct gas. the evaporator doesn't need gas in it. Store them upright so the oil in the compressor doesn't leak into the valve head above it.

Just dry them like I said and you will be fine. But make sure any mould on the evaporator coil is cleaned of as best you can and make sure the gas lines are sealed.

Most AC units have a "dry" setting specifically designed to dry out the evaporator coils (your inside unit) This just runs air over the coils to dry them out before turning off.

I would clean the evaporator coils as best you can (you can get spray foams to do this) then run it on the dry setting or just turn up the temp so the compressor doesn't kick in and run it for a couple of hours so it can dry thoroughly. You can also put the evaporators in the sun for a while as well once you have them removed.

The compressor will be fine, just get the AC man to disconnect them ensuring the valves are shut first trapping the gas inside. When you recommission them they will need to be topped up with the correct gas. the evaporator doesn't need gas in it. Store them upright so the oil in the compressor doesn't leak into the valve head above it.

Just dry them like I said and you will be fine. But make sure any mould on the evaporator coil is cleaned of as best you can and make sure the gas lines are sealed.

Bung,

What a great post - many thanks!

How long can the ACs be stored? 2 or 3 years OK?

I am about to move to small Air Cons. I intend to pay a installer to rip em out, They will be put on a truck and re installed by a AC guy about a week later. Are there any other tricks for the move?

Make sure you get the guy who ripped them out to reinstall them.

He should "park" the units before moving them.

Cost is usually about 1,500 baht per unit to remove and reinstall.

Bung has pretty much covered it in his post.

^^ 2-3 years should be no problem. The biggest worry is making sure they are sealed tight so any gas can't escape and keeping them upright. Same for fridges. They need to be stored and transported upright so the compressor oil doesn't migrate to the valve head and hydraulically lock the compressor on start up. If this doesn't happen then leaving them for a day should see all the oil back down to the compressor sump.

Shops keep AC's for years on their shelves without any problem.

Actually I think they come shipped with enough gas stored in the compressor unit to supply the whole system. the AC installer then just connects his vacuum pump once everything is connected, pulled down and holding a vacuum (no leaks) he opens the compressors gas shut off valves and it's ready to go. He may be able to do the same for yours before removal but not sure you need to do it. If it is installed with a longer run than the supplied pipes they will have to add extra pipes and gas anyway.

Any half decent installer will know what to do, just tell him you want to store them for a few years. all the ones I have seen know what they are doing.

Edited by Bung