Buying A Retro Motorbike

foggy1

Hi All

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction on this issue for me.

I live in samui on a retirement visa and have been here 20 months.

My plan is to own and run a retro motor bike or older model something as I havent really decided yet. ( Estrella, SR 400 etc )

My question is regarding the green book and being legal as I want to have insurance and be covered properly if I go off the island.

Is there a limit on the age of a bike for it to have a green book or any extra documents needed to go with it.??

I believe there is a Tax paid page 18... will that apply ?? Any help with this is much appreciated.

Regards

Just a word of caution here. After 3 years of not being taxed a vehicle's book becomes invalid and should theoretically be applied for all over again as if from new. Except with a ton more documentation needed.

Don't know how it applies to cars but bikes are rated on a scale that relate to engine capacity. I believe that up to 125cc this fee is around 20,000B. 400cc is a cut-off point and is about 40-50k baht. An 800cc bike comes in at 80,000 baht.

If you're planning to import a bike, be aware of this cost. This is why all the big imported bikes that are now flooding Thailand don't have a green book (but come with the legal paperwork to use the bike on the road without the actual book).

R

Just a word of caution here. After 3 years of not being taxed a vehicle's book becomes invalid and should theoretically be applied for all over again as if from new. Except with a ton more documentation needed.

Don't know how it applies to cars but bikes are rated on a scale that relate to engine capacity. I believe that up to 125cc this fee is around 20,000B. 400cc is a cut-off point and is about 40-50k baht. An 800cc bike comes in at 80,000 baht.

If you're planning to import a bike, be aware of this cost. This is why all the big imported bikes that are now flooding Thailand don't have a green book (but come with the legal paperwork to use the bike on the road without the actual book).

R

Thanks for the help on this.

(but come with the legal paperwork to use the bike on the road without the actual book).

R

I am confused - how do you get a tax stamp without a green book ??? No tax stamp - not legal.

Edited by seedy

• 1 month later...

interesting post, BUT I do not agree with going the cloning a exising book,

you don't have to import bike and pay 300% .engine 30%, parts 10% get your import document from thai customers

stopping her for one minute, it is possible then to get the bike insured, so you may not have a book or vehicle tax, for which you will have to pay police fine if stopped (400baht), but even if the police take the bike,you will get it back when you produce import papers, even if this involves your lawyer.

next steep, find someone who can process through all the department, minimum 3 months you will then have a geniune green book

hope this makes sense,

bear in mind, if you have money, you can buy your way out of most problems.

I think the main point here is insurance, make sure your insurance company have 'brass rubbed copies of your engine and frame numbers'

this is based on my own experiences, not bar talk filled with 'I have a friend'or 'I heard a story'