Four Types Of House Hold Automatic Water Pumps

I am just after a little bit of clarification on water pumps. I have also listed many TV threads at the bottom to help others wanting more information.

1. The Inverter Pump, the best at supplying a constant pressure and a large volume, cost 18,000b - 24,000b. I can not justify it, the house has blown the budget already big time !

Pic of Wormfarmers, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=136731

2. The On / Off pressure switch pump, common in Thailand, 6000b - 12,000b (commonly the lower end), the little pressure tank (air and water) helps with some of the pressure ups and downs, and helps if a slow leak like in the toilet for ocalating on and off. I don't really find a 10 psi change in pressure all that noticeable.

JAS21 took a pic of his pump http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=125230

3. The "Constant Pressure Pump", This is what I am interested in, but looking at it and reading up the many threads on it, it appears to not really be a constant pressure at all, and is prone to pulsating.

These have a little, about 1.5liter pressure tank in them. I think I may be mixing up the inverter pump that senses the demand at that moment, (how many taps are on at once) and then increase the output of the pump to meet that demand. These pumps are only a little bit more expensive than the number 2 pumps above. They sound great, but, what am I missing here? I also read a down side is that a tiny leak, will set it off for 1 second which would be annoying. I often see toilets with a little leak here.

Pic of a constant Pressure pump. http://www.lelong.com.my/hitachi-automatic-constant-pressure-water-pump-wm-p180gp-45833581-2010-10-Sale-P.htm

4. Well it's not really a pump, I was referring to number 2 & 3 with a seperate pressure tank of 50l and up to help absorb the different pressures.

Usefull threads below.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400983-question-for-those-with-mitsubishi-ep-series-home-water-pumps/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/456154-domestic-water-pumps/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/436507-water-pump-problem/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/502440-how-many-years-should-a-water-pump-last/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/517137-water-pump/

We just bought a Grundfos CH2-50 PT from HomePro, 12k Baht.

By no means a cheap pump but I'm most impressed by the lack of noise, it's almost silent in operation. Stainless steel construction and it's got a proper adjustable pressure switch too, five Litre pressure tank so it doesn't start when you fill the kettle.

My reasons for getting this particular pump were simply that it must be able to get water to our 10th floor apartment, must be able to start on our 5kVA genset (our power is still off and is expected to be out until mid-January) and should be suitable for our house when we finish it.

It's currently sitting 8 floors down (reception is on the 2nd floor) next to our two 2,400 Litre tanks on the end of 60m of 2.5mm2 'speaker wire' and an equal length of 5/8" hose, works like a charm. I can now have a proper but cold shower.

We just bought a Grundfos CH2-50 PT from HomePro, 12k Baht.

By no means a cheap pump but I'm most impressed by the lack of noise, it's almost silent in operation. Stainless steel construction and it's got a proper adjustable pressure switch too, five Litre pressure tank so it doesn't start when you fill the kettle.

My reasons for getting this particular pump were simply that it must be able to get water to our 10th floor apartment, must be able to start on our 5kVA genset (our power is still off and is expected to be out until mid-January) and should be suitable for our house when we finish it.

It's currently sitting 8 floors down (reception is on the 2nd floor) next to our two 2,400 Litre tanks on the end of 60m of 2.5mm2 'speaker wire' and an equal length of 5/8" hose, works like a charm. I can now have a proper but cold shower.

If you can afford it and want the best pump available then one of the Grundfos model CHx - xx PT is the way to go.

• 8 months later...

Yesterday I went and purchased a grundfos CH4 - 50 PX to replace my Mitsibushi I live on Koh Samui 1st place I went to wanted 17 k and would give a 6 month warranty after shopping around I came across M&E electrical for the same pump I was quoted 14,500 + 1 year warranty, they then fitted it for 1,500 bt total 16,000 and boy what a difference water pressure is fantastic can run all 4 bathrooms at the same time + automatic washing machine something that was unachievable with my old pumpand the old pump was a top of the range Mitsibushi. It pays to shop around avery good service from M& E and while I was in there I also discovered they sold chlorine tablets for 40 bht a kilo less that than what I normally pay and a pool schimmer that cost me 350 bt as opposed to a 1,000 bt so I will not be going back to my pool supplies

The test I carried out for water pressure was to have all the following on at the same time

4 pressure showers running

10 sinks running

automatic washing machine on Very little diffference in water pressure whilst all these were in operation !!!!!

5 toilets flushing

Has anyone got a recommendation for my house in the boonies. All it will need to service is an electric heated shower, one toilet, three sinks and a washing machine. Also, I want to put one or two of those string type sediment filters, do i put them before or after the pump?

We have the cheapest Chinese pump we could find as our backup, LuckyPro I believe. It was the lowest cost pump with a pressure switch that was available. It happily runs our upstairs shower, loo, washer etc.

Our crunchy-bits filter is on the inlet to the tank (don't pump direct from the mains).

Yesterday I went and purchased a grundfos CH4 - 50 PX ...............

PM me if you want the English manual for your Grundfos

The English and Thai manual was included as was the warranty card but thanks for the offer !!!!!

Well your lucky, mine was only in Thai and it took an email to a distributer in Australia for me to get one

We have the cheapest Chinese pump we could find as our backup, LuckyPro I believe. It was the lowest cost pump with a pressure switch that was available. It happily runs our upstairs shower, loo, washer etc.

Our crunchy-bits filter is on the inlet to the tank (don't pump direct from the mains).

Cheers Crossy.

Yesterday I went and purchased a grundfos CH4 - 50 PX ...............

PM me if you want the English manual for your Grundfos

The English and Thai manual was included as was the warranty card but thanks for the offer !!!!!

Well your lucky, mine was only in Thai and it took an email to a distributer in Australia for me to get one

Can I ask if you chaps are pleased with the Grunfloss CH4 ?

in my [not so] humble opinion the best solution to have a rather evenly flow/pressure is to combine any pump with an additional pressure tank (the bigger the better). the surcharge of an overrated inverter pump is a multiple of a pressure tank price.

p.s. many years ago in the african bush we built our own pressure tanks by using old gas bottles in which we cut two holes for in and out and once in a while we topped up the air cushion with a small compressor meant for car tires.