Multi Entry Non O Visa (Based On Child Not Marriage)

I thought I would share this information - the rules may be changing or as is often the case different information is being given by the consulates making it more confusing when applying for a visa.

I have a thai girlfriend and a thai son who is 11 months old. I was always told by friends in thailand because of my son, even though I am not married, as I am named on the birth certificate a multi entry non-o should be no problem.

I telephoned Hull last week to be told they received orders recently (within 2 weeks) to no longer issue non-o visa's unless married to the mother or have sole custody of the child !! the fact I'm named on the birth certificate and visiting family(my son) made no difference. I could have a tourist visa though!! TV not a problem but I didnt want that.

However I telephoned another consulate (Birmingham) and they said no problem to the multi non-o. I included birth certificate thai and the translation together with his thai passport - no problem !! it goes to show try more than one consulate !!

whilst very confusing, staff at both consulates were very helpful and friendly

Should add my son now has his uk passport, but I didn't have a copy to send off with the visa application on thursday - (application submitted at bkk in person on 18/11 and arrived back 13/12, I was quite impressed!)

I telephoned Hull last week to be told they received orders recently (within 2 weeks) to no longer issue non-o visa's unless married to the mother or have sole custody of the child !! the fact I'm named on the birth certificate and visiting family(my son) made no difference.

This directive, probably from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Thai embassy in London, is unreasonable. Thai courts grant sole custody of a child to the father only in very rare cases, eg if convincing evidence is presented that the mother is totally unfit to care for the child. "To stay with the family" is one of the stated purposes for the non-O visa and to deny you the multiple-entry non-O for frequent visits to your son is unfair. It is true that you can achieve the same purpose with tourist visas, but this route is more cumbersome.

• 5 weeks later...