Thailand Tops World's Most Generous

webfact

Thailand Tops World's Most Generous

The United States is rated the world's most charitable country in 2011 by the Charities Aid Foundation's World Giving Index.

However, when comparing the percentage of donations by population, Thailand is ranked as the world's most generous country.

The United Kingdom Charities Aid Foundation, or CAF, revealed the 2011 world giving index of the year, in which countries were ranked in terms of monetary donations and charitable acts of their people.

The results show that the USA is officially the most charitable nation in the world, moving from fifth place last year to first place this year.

Ireland is the second most charitable country and Australia the third.

Thailand is ranked as the ninth most charitable country in the world, while it is ranked the second most charitable country in Asia, following Sri Lanka, which moved from 25th place last year.

Thailand's ranking resulted from the assistance given during the severe flooding, as Thais united to help each other in the flood predicament.

The survey suggested more people were likely to perform charitable acts this year compared to 2010, but less likely to give money.

The CAF said the "global economic crisis" was the likely reason for the slight fall in charitable donations.

The group said the richest countries were not necessarily the most likely to give to charity – only five nations that are in the World Bank's top 20 economies by GDP appear in the latest CAF giving index top 20.

In terms of percentage by population, Thailand was the most generous, with 85% of Thais making regular charitable contributions.

The UK was the second most generous, with 79% regularly giving to charity.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-21

footer_n.gif

It all depends what they qualify as 'charitable donations'?

If it includes tambon at a temple then that is so ingrained in Thai culture then they would be ranked very highly. If it is just 'giving' then I don't see it - most Thai's I come across just look after themselves and their family.

Quick, someone please inform the charities and scientific research groups that pour millions upon millions of baht into Thailand where this charity is available. I'd really like to know how this was determined as my experience is that Thais outside of some government support are not big donors to public health groups, nor do they provide endowments to Universities in quite the same proportion as do westerners or Hong Kong Chinese and Indians for that matter. When is the last time one of Bangkok's super rich did that? I can point to a few western Universities that have some beautiful facilities courtesy of successful Hong Kong graduates. In India, there are a few campuses sporting awesome structures thanks to its billionaires. I can't wait for the answer on this one because Thailand has some very wealthy families.

It's not a surprise. Giving donations to charity is extremely common here. Everywhere you go you see donation boxes for various causes. People go door to door soliciting donations. Most people donate to temples. In villages they read off lists on the morning announcement system of people who have donated to different causes, you don't want to be the only one left off. On the internet donation groups sprout up for various causes in response to news stories. Even those dogs being shipped to Vietnam for meat managed to get over 10 million baht in donations after the news story about them. Donating, even just a token gesture, is a required part of the religion and returns as karma. It's ingrained in the culture, even people who don't really care want to be at least seen donating something.

Edited by DP25

Unfortunately without the methodology which is completely lacking in this report, we have no idea 1) if we can feel reasonably confident that the numbers are reasonably accurate and 2) what the numbers mean anyway.

Methodology, data gathering -

How do they go about gathering this info? For example, is it self-reported? What tools are in place to ensure accuracy of the numbers? My guess is that most of the information is self-reported with no checks at all.

Intentions -

The Thai government has for years now publicly stated that it has had a goal to transform itself from one that receives aid to become one that gives aid. This could be a realization of this goal, in which case I applaud Thailand, or it could be the country's manipulation of numbers -- as it rather blatantly does with so many other things.

Where -

Where are the Thais donating money? If charities, are they donating to charities/causes outside of Thailand that affect countries other than Thailand? What percentage of their giving is non-Thai? I think knowing this would be very revealing.

Who -

Who is donating? What is the demographic breakdown of the givers? For example, would we expect to see the vast majority of the giving the Thai-Chinese ultra-wealthy class of Thais? Would we see large corporations with CSR/image drives donating a lot of money while paying their armies of Thais workers poor wages as so many do? Having the demographic breakdown will perhaps be most telling.

So, without a more seriously conducted report and without knowing details, these numbers are almost meaningless. It's essentially propaganda or sales material for the CAF; nothing more.

EDIT:

Not trying to dampen any Thai achievement, as we all know they've made real progress, but I do need to attack the report which is just not very academic.

Edited by ThailandMan

It's a pity a thread like this brings out the haters. :(

I agree. But, it's certainly fair to question information that we are handed, do you agree? That's part of what makes us 'thinking' humans. Can you take a look at my previous comment, and let me know if there's anything you disagree with and why? I think what I said was certainly all very fair.

It all depends what they qualify as 'charitable donations'?

If it includes tambon at a temple then that is so ingrained in Thai culture then they would be ranked very highly. If it is just 'giving' then I don't see it - most Thai's I come across just look after themselves and their family.

Indeed - they haven't got a pot to piss in but still feel obligated to answer the call of the saffron robe.

It seems this report raises questions more than it gives answers. If i were going to rate the generosity of a country it would have to take into account things like % of disposable income, good Samaritan type behavior, what stays in the community, what stays in the country, and what is earmarked for outside the country, just to name a few things the story does not talk much about, and certainly has no statistics on.

I will say, when I go to the local fresh markets and hear the blind singer making "music" I often see little old ladies throwing a few baht in the cup. Also when a friend of mine and I were out on a bicycle ride on a country road, and he punctured, before he had his tool kit undone a couple of brothers from a nearby house came out to offer assistance. Another time I was walking home at dusk one Sunday afternoon after puncturing, and a young man by the name of "Dam", stopped and asked me how far I had to go. I told him about 10km, next thing I know he has flagged down a motorcyclist, turned him in the opposite direction and is loading me and my bicycle on the back and we go 4-5 km to find a shop that will repair my inner tube. I could smell the whiskey from the back of the guy. :-) Dam stayed until the I was back on my bike and on my way home. Thank you Dam.

So in my experience, I have seen and experienced lots of Thai generosity.

It's a pity a thread like this brings out the haters. :(

No, it brings out the people who pump some of that money into the country. I think it is a legit question to ask why foreign NGOs have to pick up the expenses of some major projects if there is all this reported charity going on.

What are the criteria here? What qualifies as a charitable donation?

In the case of Thailand, it no doubt includes donations to temples, which are almost certainly the biggest form of donations here. This is a traditional ritual custom in which -- even if it comes from the heart in many cases -- the money just goes to one more piece of superstition-fuelling architecture.

In the USA, it probably includes all those massive institutional donations. If you're looking for heartfelt charity from ordinary people to other people who are suffering from misfortune or disadvantage, which is the real measure of a nation's charitableness, you should probably look at the Irish and people like them.

It seems this report raises questions more than it gives answers. If i were going to rate the generosity of a country it would have to take into account things like % of disposable income, good Samaritan type behavior, what stays in the community, what stays in the country, and what is earmarked for outside the country, just to name a few things the story does not talk much about, and certainly has no statistics on.

I will say, when I go to the local fresh markets and hear the blind singer making "music" I often see little old ladies throwing a few baht in the cup. Also when a friend of mine and I were out on a bicycle ride on a country road, and he punctured, before he had his tool kit undone a couple of brothers from a nearby house came out to offer assistance. Another time I was walking home at dusk one Sunday afternoon after puncturing, and a young man by the name of "Dam", stopped and asked me how far I had to go. I told him about 10km, next thing I know he has flagged down a motorcyclist, turned him in the opposite direction and is loading me and my bicycle on the back and we go 4-5 km to find a shop that will repair my inner tube. I could smell the whiskey from the back of the guy. :-) Dam stayed until the I was back on my bike and on my way home. Thank you Dam.

So in my experience, I have seen and experienced lots of Thai generosity.

Very true - good post.

I have also experienced help with punctured motorbike tyres and also with my car. In the case of the car, 2 guys who were passing by gave me 30 mins of their time and refused to take any money for this.

Some of the kindness I've experienced here over the years from people who don't have a pot to piss in has been truly wonderful.

These anecdotal stories are touching, but they do nothing to reinforce the CAF report's claims one way or another.

I have anecdotes from most every country I've been to. Poor, disenfranchised and all others all over the world have always helped each other to some degree. We would not have survived in our billions if that was not the case.

Having someone help you with a tire is not a reinforcement of what CAF is claiming. You are one statistic in an ocean of millions and billions.

Well done Thailandclap2.gif

Thailand must also top the charts in accommodating the most negative, angry, sticky farang community in the world who wouldn't give 1 single baht to any charity (but if they did you would never hear the end of it) yet happily blow 100's/night drinking chang outside of the cheapest joints in town while groaning on about what is wrong in Thailand because they so clever and know everything...about nothinglicklips.gif

Well done Thailand - especially because you do not get tax deductions for your donations.

The only reason people make big donations in the US (and many other countries) is that you can deduct htem from your taxes. Thus, the rich attend fundraisers (to show off themelves and their wealth), and get to spend the tax-intended money for their favourite use. As a kckback you receive at least a nice dinner with socializing, but often benefits from the instance you are supporting.

Pure tax evasion for the US.

This list should be compiled so that tax effects are first cut out,and countries ranked after that. I'd bet Thailand would then be no. 1 and the USA would not even make top-50.

I thought US should be the top every year as they give so much to Israel, Egypt and its other satellite cronies...

As for Thailand, they need to help their own 1st but coming ninth it great....well done

don't belive foreign aid is part of it.

Well done Thailand - especially because you do not get tax deductions for your donations.

The only reason people make big donations in the US (and many other countries) is that you can deduct htem from your taxes. Thus, the rich attend fundraisers (to show off themelves and their wealth), and get to spend the tax-intended money for their favourite use. As a kckback you receive at least a nice dinner with socializing, but often benefits from the instance you are supporting.

Pure tax evasion for the US.

This list should be compiled so that tax effects are first cut out,and countries ranked after that. I'd bet Thailand would then be no. 1 and the USA would not even make top-50.

With due respect, no, your notions do not make any sense at all.

OK, I'm not a CPA or Euro/Japanese equivalent either, but I believe that there is a limit to the tax benefit that one receives for charitable donation in the US. And, I'm fairly certain that for the overwhelming majority of Americans who donate, they are not likely gaining much relative financial reward for making donations.

What you're talking about here is the argument around altruism in humans and how it might differ between different cultures.

I also not a neuro scientist, but I have read some of their research.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism

"Altruism can be distinguished from feelings of loyalty and duty. Altruism is a motivation to provide something of value to a party who must be anyone but the self, while duty focuses on a moral obligation towards a specific individual (for example, a god, a king), or collective (for example, a government). Some individuals may feel both altruism and duty, while others may not. Pure altruism consists of giving something of value[citation needed] (a reward or benefit) with no expectation of any compensation or benefits, either direct, or indirect (for instance from recognition of the giving)."

We might agree of Thai culture that many of the good deeds performed are driven for the specific reason of recognition ... which would be counter to true altruistic intent. Witness, for example, the VERY public displays of giving here -- complete with representatives standing around holding enormous checks with the amount donated.

"Jorge Moll and Jordan Grafman, neuroscientists at the National Institutes of Health and LABS-D'Or Hospital Network (J.M.) provided the first evidence for the neural bases of altruistic giving in normal healthy volunteers, using functional magnetic resonance imaging. In their research, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA in October, 2006,[10] they showed that both pure monetary rewards and charitable donations activated the mesolimbic reward pathway, a primitive part of the brain that usually lights up in response to food and sex. However, when volunteers generously placed the interests of others before their own by making charitable donations, another brain circuit was selectively activated: the subgenual cortex/septal region. These structures are intimately related to social attachment and bonding in other species. Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable.[11]

Some things to think about with respect to your position:

1) the fact that the USA is perhaps home to most individualistic people on the planet but Americans still donate the most according to many groups

Do they do it because it 1) because we are taught that it's a 'good' thing to do or 2) because we can some financial reward from doing it? Does it really matter?

2) Thailand is home to certainly one of the more collectivist societies on our planet and donate what they do

Do they donate to temples, for instance 1) because they are superstitious and believe that if they don't they will not be treated well in the next life, 2) because it makes them feel good for having done it, or 3) because of some other reason altogether? Does it really matter?

Think about these things.