Attention All Hamburger Lovers

ricku

So I just came back from a quick burger at BK. I orderd their new "Angus burger" and HOLY COW - it is probably one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. In fact, I think the meat is made from a holy cow. The angus burger is godlike!

Just a heads up to all you expats out there who love burgers. licklips.gif

Edited by ricku

So I just came back from a quick burger at BK. I orderd their new "Angus burger" and HOLY COW - it is probably one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. In fact, I think the meat is made from a holy cow. The angus burger is godlike!

Just a heads up to all you expats out there who love burgers. licklips.gif

I had an Angus burger at the Hard Rock Cafe in Saigon the other day. I think I'll pass on your kind offer.

Why not go to Bangkok Burger Company? Great eating experience, not a great deal more expensive than BK and the environment is actually quite cool.

If you are interested then check out (please stop reading if promotion disturbs you)

http://www.bangkokburgercompany.com/

p.s. Myself and my wife still miss White Spot "Triple O's", the burger casualty of the April/May thingy in town

How do microwave heated and/or rewarmed BK Angus burgers taste exactly???

Lets not confuse BK with shitty Mcdonalds now..

Burger King, McD's--both are fast food with similar quality and offerings. I even hesitate to call their ground beef sandwiches hamburgers as none of them are what I consider a good, basic hamburger.

But just as I can enjoy the so-called Chinese $6.95 buffets back in the US, even if the food is hardly authentic, I can enjoy a Big Mac or a Whopper. I just can't classify either as a real hamburger. The difference between Burger King and McD's, in my opinion, is just a matter of taste. Neither one is better than the other.

In the US, Carl's Jr., is much like Burger King and McD's for most of their offerings, but their Black Angus Burger is actually something approaching an actual hamburger. It is not as good as home-made, Fuddruckers, etc., but at least is is edging into the ballpark. So I guess I would try BK's Angus burger, but I am not expecting much given the posts here.

OK...let me say... I now have joined the BK Angus "suckers club," as in suckered into trying one of their Angus burgers... As seems to be the general sentiment above, tried it, not impressed, won't be trying it again.

First, as to the facts, at the Silom Road BK shop, they're selling the standalone Angus burger for 185 baht (more than $6 U.S.)... with the single patty set with fries and drink for 230 baht...and the double burger with fries and drink set for 285 baht.

As Bonobo alluded to above, I don't know what it is about Thais, fast good and hamburgers... But they invariably seem to produce burgers that taste stale and dried out like they've been sitting around in a re-warmer all day and night... And perhaps it's because they have.

In any event, that's the category the BK Angus burger fell into.... Yet they tried hard to do a pretty good job of covering up the lack of a tasteful hamburger by loading up the sandwich with a mayonnaise type topping, a BBQ sauce type topping, some apparent bacon, cheese, tomato slices and who knows what else...

In the end, it both looked and tasted like a big gloppy, greasy mess. The taste of the beef, whatever it was, pretty much was overwhelmed. Just for the record, the photo below was taken of my BK lunch yesterday and only involved me lifting the top bun patty off the top of the sandwich right after it was delivered.... even though it kind of looks like a children's finger painting experiment. It wasn't.

post-58284-0-96722100-1324662189_thumb.j

post-58284-0-66636000-1324662191_thumb.j

For value priced hamburgers that are freshly cooked and actually taste like hamburgers...

--V8 Diner near Sukhumvit Soi 12 has a like 5 pm to 10 pm daily special of their hamburger, french fries and a San Miguel Light bottle of beer for 139 baht. I've tried their hamburger special there at least a half dozen times, and all of them have been good, with the exception of one off-day.

post-58284-0-72373100-1324663073_thumb.j

--Likewise, although I haven't been there lately, Duke's in the Emporium shopping mall also has a half dozen different burgers and fries sets on their menu that are freshly prepared and actually come out tasting like real hamburgers.... Higher priced and no beer included, but perfectly tasteful burgers as well.

Both places also have bottles of French's mustard for those who like it on their burgers and/or fries.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

First, as to the facts, at the Silom Road BK shop, they're selling the standalone Angus burger for 185 baht (more than $6 U.S.)... with the single patty set with fries and drink for 230 baht...and the double burger with fries and drink set for 285 baht.

It must be different prices at different locations as it was more in Chiang Mai (271 for the single patty set). In fact, the regular bacon whopper with cheese set is 240 in Chiang Mai, so the Angus burger set in Bangkok is cheaper! shock1.gif

It must be different prices at different locations as it was more in Chiang Mai (271 for the single patty set). In fact, the regular bacon whopper with cheese set is 240 in Chiang Mai, so the Angus burger set in Bangkok is cheaper! shock1.gif

That kind of figures, Ulysses... When we've talked about different food products and their pricing before, it seems that stuff sold in CM seems to have a built-in transport cost added in at the retail level.

Do they still have the Angry Burger? What a great name.

I'd be pretty ANGRY if I paid close to $10 U.S. for anything involving their "Angry" burger... wink.png

OOOPS... correction... I see the photo above is actually for an "Angry" Whopper. At first I thought the Pattaya folks had mangled their advertising for the "Angus" burger...

Hahaha its all tosh this is....can the Hard Rock please get some decent burger buns please! w00t.gif

One of the nice thing about Duke's burgers in BKK, at least from my last visit there, is that they were using their own variety of burger buns... which were quite good.

The typical grocery-store bought variety that so many places use are just tasteless and lacking in any character.

Though from my last visit to HRC in BKK, the buns they were using weren't the grocery store variety... and I thought the overall burgers there weren't bad.... though their pricing was a bit high.

I had one, for the first time, at their Orange County CA branch on one of my recent trips back to the Sunshine state. I thought it was fine, if I was in the neighborhood. But I've had better elsewhere. And considering it's roughly a $1000+ RT air ticket back, I think I'll manage to find some compromise alternatives here...

BTW, dunno if others have seen it, but the LeFenix hotel on Suk Soi 11 in BKK has for sometime been advertising their 1 KG. "Bangkok's Biggest Hamburger" item at their L3 Eatery... But I'd never seen any pricing attached to it.

As someone who once ate a 5 lbs burrito in one sitting on a bet (and lived to survive having done so, just barely), I was always curious about the LeFenix's burger. So the other day my wife and I were there there other day to try their buffet lunch (not impressed), and saw the menu pricing for their burger... I wanna say it was 1700 or 1800 baht.

Any takers??? smile.png

post-58284-0-02499600-1324712666_thumb.j

Hahaha its all tosh this is....can the Hard Rock please get some decent burger buns please! w00t.gif

One of the nice thing about Duke's burgers in BKK, at least from my last visit there, is that they were using their own variety of burger buns... which were quite good.

The typical grocery-store bought variety that so many places use are just tasteless and lacking in any character.

Though from my last visit to HRC in BKK, the buns they were using weren't the grocery store variety... and I thought the overall burgers there weren't bad.... though their pricing was a bit high.

I was thinking of the branch in Saigon. I assumed they were pretty much the same. Good burger but the bun was a bit plasticky. I'm unlikely to visit the Bangkok one due to its relative proximity to La Monita.

Fuddruckers

ooohhhh, now you've put it in my head! Fuddruckers! mmmmm.......

dunno about them Fuddruckers places...I went (with others, not my choice) in Bahrain and in Jeddah and I found the 'american' decor a bit oppressive...put me off my food it did...I'm more of a sidewalk shwarma food vendor kinda guy...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

--V8 Diner near Sukhumvit Soi 12 has a like 5 pm to 10 pm daily special of their hamburger, french fries and a San Miguel Light bottle of beer for 139 baht. I've tried their hamburger special there at least a half dozen times, and all of them have been good, with the exception of one off-day.

post-58284-0-72373100-1324663073_thumb.j

Wow now that is a deal! About the same price as a double cheeseburger set from McDonalds but you get a beer

Yup... V8 and their outdoor patio is one of my favorite local options these days... And their hamburger actually tastes like an American hamburger.. not a thin, dried-out sliver like most of the fast food places. The fries are good, and a full order in size. And a SML to wash it all down.

Sometimes I'll do two at a sitting. Their regular price for just a SML bottle is 69 baht... So for an extra 70 baht, yes, I'll take a good hamburger and french fries any ole day... licklips.gif

Hey JFC (aka, tallguy;) ), the fenix buffet is 169 baht or something right-hard to complain about that!

Re burgers, dukes, home run would rank up there for me. Did someone mention fudruckers? Yummy! Merry christmas, may your size 14 stocking be full of french fries, onion rings, chicken wings and coleslaw. :)

Holiday cheers also to you, James, and everyone else around these parts.... BTW, you forgot to include a decent hamburger in my stocking.... How about trading that for the chicken wings.... licklips.gif

Re the LeFenix... yes, you're right about the pricing for their lunch buffet... it's under 200 baht per person at present including a soft drink choice... Note, I didn't say it was bad...it's not... I just said I wasn't impressed, even on a sliding value for price scale.

Particularly because their lunch buffet is supposed to focus heavily on an all-you-can eat selection of about a dozen different burgers, along with pasta choices... OK.. that's fine... But, the burgers they serve up are the mini/slider kind (which is fine), but they're just not so good or even live up to their menu descriptions. That's what left me not impressed.

At about 224 baht per person, the lunch buffet at the Holiday Inn's Cafe G at Ploenchit serves up a better variety and better quality of food choices.... No burgers, but a nice make your own caesar salad bar, and a pasta bar where you can pick your own noodles, accompanying sauce and flavorings.

All in all, I think I'll look to satisfy my burger cravings elsewhere.

BTW, here's the menu card for LeFenix's offering... Note that most of the burgers on their list aren't actually beef hamburgers, but various other varieties... And also, needless to say, though they're certainly not alone in this, their actual servings don't look anything even remotely similar to their illustrations.

post-58284-0-10595900-1324778924_thumb.j