Specification For New Desktop Computer

totonjoy

I am thinking of having my new desktop built from scratch. I am no expert and would appreciate ideas as to a good spec for general use. I would like a fast, efficient machine, which will last for a few years, so probably pretty high end spec will be necessary. I hear dedicated video memory is desirable.

Recommendations for a good monitor would also be appreciated.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all.

Any modern desktop with 4GB RAM and a recent graphics card will do.

Get a SSD to put the system partition to get a faster Windows (blazing fast, in fact).

Use Windows 7 pro or ultimate.

Monitor: I'm very happy with my 26" Samsung Monitor.

If you know or if you want to learn how to use RAID, I recommend buying 2 large capacity HDDs and to set them up in RAID 1, this will save your system if one HDD crashes.

What do you use the machine for? What operating system do you plan on using?

I am thinking of having my new desktop built from scratch. I am no expert and would appreciate ideas as to a good spec for general use. I would like a fast, efficient machine, which will last for a few years, so probably pretty high end spec will be necessary. I hear dedicated video memory is desirable.

If you aren't a gamer, and dont intend doing extensive HD video editing, then you dont need a dedicated video card at all. Embedded graphics will suit you fine.

For general use such as you describe, any model of processor less than 1 or 2 years old will suit you (so for Intel look at anything with an "i"). Email and web-browsing puts no strain at all on the processor.

Windows 7 Premium would also be perfectly suitable; you would gain nothing worthwhile from having Pro or Ultimate. The 64bit OEM version is cheap enough here.

Using an SSD for your Windows partition would indeed make the machine very fast though it does need to be set up by someone who knows what he is doing.

4GB RAM is fine.

One 7200rpm SATA drive for your data and programmes, but back up regularly. 500GB should be plenty if you arent into downloading films.

A SATA DVDRW drive for 550Baht.

4Gb of memory is a minimum

I am running Win 7 64bit and currently using 3.3Gb of my installed 8Gb

Consider an HDMI connection and use an LCD TV, they are cheap enough these days

and you have the option to watch TV or video.

RAID means multiple hard drives configured to work in a group. Over the top for your needs, I think.

SSD means solid state drive; a faster and more expensive type of hard drive.

RAID 1 with 2 disks is just disk mirrorring, not over the top at all.

for buffering the need for next (3) years, should aim for an intel i5 processor. intel i7 even better but now you may bear a higher processor cost.

some intel i5 CPU come with integrated graphic processor ( iGPU ), usually the HD2000 and it is very good for general purpose, emailing and web browsing. no need delegated display adaptor, unless you are a heavy gamer.

SSD - solid state disk is a very good choice, its speed offers you a new windows experience. RAM price is really nothing these days, go for 4GB to 6GB. with the applications you described, 8GB won't give you any additional advantage.

You've got a lot of great responses here. For your needs you seem like a prime candidate for a pre-built system with a strong warranty. If all you're doing is email and browsing virtually any machine out there will work for you. If you want more speed or other requirements then you'll need to be more specific because there are a lot of choices out there.

I regularly build machines for clients, but most are after top spec machines for image or video processing. I don't think you need this much machine, but I do talk a little about why I chose each component so maybe that information will be useful and you can transfer that information to your own choices. This is the build and the components are all current modern stuff.. there are a few other builds on my site but they're older and still more than you need. This older one might be worth looking at because it has a really cool smaller case you might like.

I suggest you read a lot, watch some Youtube build videos, and maybe you'll want to build one yourself. It's not hard and there are plenty of tutorials out there showing you step by step how to putone together. Or, if you don't want to do any of that go buy a pre-built with a good warranty from a reputable dealer. Since you have very modest requirements you really can't go wrong.

Good luck.

I have no problem with RAID for those who need it. But the OP just doesnt need it.

Hard drives are expensive at the moment and he would be better served by getting a small external one that he can connect up once or twice a week to back up his user folders, rather than buying and running two identical drives permanently. Or indeed just use the free version of Mozy and back up online. From his description he wont be doing enough with the PC to warrant the expense of setting up permanent internal redundancy.

I have no problem with RAID for those who need it. But the OP just doesnt need it.

Hard drives are expensive at the moment and he would be better served by getting a small external one that he can connect up once or twice a week to back up his user folders, rather than buying and running two identical drives permanently. Or indeed just use the free version of Mozy and back up online. From his description he wont be doing enough with the PC to warrant the expense of setting up permanent internal redundancy.

You're probably right. But if the little he does is important (personal trading, banking, etc) or if he just doesn't want to risk having the hassle of setting up Windows and his programs again.. a RAID 1 is actually a cheap backup alternative.

For instance, the more popular hard drives are certainly more expensive as you mention. These are the higher capacity or higher performance models. But the smaller ones, say 1tb, are still about $99.. Adding a second $99 drive for 100% redunancy without the cost, hassle, or scheduling of a backup program isn't unreasonable. If the drive goes bad he just keeps running, orders another to replace the bad one, and it auto rebuilds once it's replaced.

If you ask a guy who's not well versed or a heavy user of computers "hey, for $99 is it worth it to you to have a 100% redundant system you never have to think about, and if your drive goes bad you won't lose any operational capability and you can relax and replace it next week....?" I dunno.. suppose it's what's more valuable to the guy, the $99 or the peace of mind/zero risk route.

In any case he hasn't been specific enough for more than generalizations but there's still been some good suggestions made where he won't necessarily go wrong with any of them. If he's adverterous or even curious he can build his own, if not go buy one off the shelf. But he hasn't told us anything yet that would warranty a custom system.

If he's adverterous or even curious he can build his own, if not go buy one off the shelf. But he hasn't told us anything yet that would warranty a custom system.

I agree that for his (limited) needs an off-the-shelf machine would probably offer the best value.

Again, thanks for all of this excellent information. Perhaps I should widen my horizon, learn more about these things and become less of a computer pedestrian!

Much to think about - I'm very grateful and hope you are all enjoying the holiday.

Cheers!

Edited by totonjoy

For basic use, take one from reliable brand like Lenovo, HP or Apple. Then just make sure that it has 4Gb Ram and Windows7 (legal). Don't worry about RAID's since your not sure what you need, then you don't need RAID...

For basic use, take one from reliable brand like Lenovo, HP or Apple. Then just make sure that it has 4Gb Ram and Windows7 (legal). Don't worry about RAID's since your not sure what you need, then you don't need RAID...

do you know the name of all the parts used in your car's engine?

do you know the name of all the parts used in your car's engine?

Almost.