No Thai Visa

I have heard Siam Commercial Bank are very easy and efficient to deal with in this regard. A friend was in and out 30 minutes later with account, passbook and ATM card.

I had an opposite experience at Siam Commercial Bank a while back. Went in loaded down with 200K baht in cash and they asked me if I had a work permit, I said no, they said no can do. I was none too pleased and never opened an acct with the cash. Some time later I opened a passbook savings acct with 1K at BKK bank. got an ATM card. Acct has remained idle as I dont bother using it, probably cancelled by now. The Dude just withdraws from his USA banks and keeps his hard earned cash out of Thai Banks. Can you dig as I dig?

With no visa very few are going to want to open a passbook savings account but if you are willing to try a few, or lucky, it can be done. With some kind of visa it would be easier but there will still be branches not wanting to open so you may still have to look a little. In no case would/should any bank open a checking account. The passbook savings is what most people have/use and the main thing is to obtain an ATM card with it (usually immediately available).

In this case I do not dig the Dude. Good to have a card you can be sure will work at any ATM pool machine (without fees/exchange rate cut) and backup of passbook if something happens to card. For the normal tourist the foreign ATM is fine with cash or TC backup but for those of us here more often having a local bank account I believe makes sense. I always dreaded those ATM messages when a foreign card could not be processed that "card is fraudulent" or "PIN is invalid".