Stranded Arizona college student survives 10-day blizzard in car

News_Editor

Stranded Arizona college student survives 10-day blizzard in car

2011-12-23 21:55:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

PHOENIX, ARIZONA (BNO NEWS) -- A college student from Arizona who went missing earlier this month has been found alive after being stranded in her car in the middle of a blizzard for ten days, local media reported on Friday.

Lauren Elizabeth Weinberg, 23, an Arizona State University student, was spotted in her vehicle on Wednesday morning by U.S. Forest Service employees who were checking road closure gates in the Coconino County area, about 46 miles (74 kilometers) from the city of Winslow.

According to a report by KTVK-TV, Weinberg had left her mother's house, located near East Ray Road in Ahwatukee, Arizona, on December 11. But she eventually became trapped in the middle of a snowy blizzard a day later after her cell phone stopped working.

Weinberg explained that she had left the Phoenix area in her vehicle and began driving to no specific destination until finding herself in Winslow. While driving on a paved road that later turned into a dirt road, she reached a fence line, but when she tried to turn back, the vehicle was stuck in the snow.

The college student was found in a good health conditions, although she was very hungry, thirsty and cold. Local authorities said she was able to survive throughout the 10 days on two candy bars and melted snow.

"I am so thankful to be alive and warm," she said in a statement quoted by KTVK-TV. "Thank you for your thoughts and prayers because they worked. There were times I was afraid but mostly I had faith I would be found."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-23