How Would You Handle Teaching Large Class Over Of 150-300 Students?

Rhys

It is an ESP type of class, attempting all four skills, university level, mixed abilities, excellent to I don't care. The issues have revolved around class administration, curricululm, an of course, teaching and learning.

In university, I once had a class of 1100 students. I was a class member not the teacher. What made it work, besides the fact it was a basic 101 class, was the facility it was conducted in. It was an auditorium with theater type seating and a screen at the front the size of a large movie theater, upon which the overhead projector could cast images. It didn't hurt either that a girl far brighter than myself, sitting much closer to the front was selling notes at the end of each lesson for $1.50.

Best of luck. I hope we have posters who can give you some advice besides smart-alec answers (self-included).

If they are at least grounded in the language, you can make some imact. The speaking part is going to be nearly impossible.

I would concentrate on reading and comprehension along with listening. Give them material such as a story or something that you can read or recorded. Play it and have them listen and follow along. Go through the vocabulary, idiomatic phrases and a touch of grammar.

That's off the top of my head, perhaps others can give you better ideas. Try to find other teachers who have taught similar classes and see what they have done.

The very best to you.

Reminds me of the situation in my younger days whilst a trainee at Dartmouth Royal Navy College, our , ''teachers'' were hardened old chiefs and they could and did handle two or three hundred people at a time.

Might well be advisable to find a redundant drill sergeant or an old retired chief to train you Rhys, and then you can train the kids.laugh.pngbiggrin.png

This is the sort of class that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole! However, if you are a better man than I and are willing to take it on, here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Tell the students to get notebooks - you probably won't have a budget for 300 + handouts for every lesson!

2. After the first class, the number of students who actually bother to show up for class will probably drop to about 50% or so, so don't get too stressed out by the initial numbers.

3. Have the students organize themselves into groups of 10 or so, with a group leader and co-leader (in case the leader doesn't show up)

4. Get the names and email addresses of the group leaders & co-leaders so that you can send them assignments, etc.

5. Assign several group projects - spend your in-class time explaining those projects and showing them examples of what you want done.

6. Projects could be: write a dialogue about a situation with a certain number of speakers and lines. Have the group leaders show or email their work to you. After correcting the worst of their errors, have them perform and record their dialogue and post it to Youtube for you to review. (the group leader should email you the Youtube link.

7. Have them create brochures or presentations by group.

8. Have them write letters and essays - this will give you some individual work to grade.

Sage advice from both otherstuff 1957 and harry.

However have either of you considered the task of marking, correcting and subsequent grading or comments on the assorted blog inputs regarding the assigned work ?

Consider the time needed for the students to make their presentations as well, The marking, correcting and grading of the tasks would be on a par with the , "Labours of Hercules."

Thanks for the sage advice, I don't have a choice, I have the class. Project Oriented or Problem Base or even a convergence... works to some degree. Grading team work is advantageous...large classes are reduced to groups, thus the individual grading does not factor in except at final. Thus the grading time is short, and groups are lined up on the speadsheet, and it is the same grade for the group..quick..

"YES, I do use M-learning, and post everything, Class atttendance has not really been an issue, as the teams and groups impose their own peer evaluation of sorts.... of course, they will grieng jai, but for the most part the tend to cover the slackers.

Hate to say it..this is an activities class. But at times, it seems to be based in constructivism learning theory.. the projects are their own, students use English as a medium to "get it done" and pick up langauge. There has been varied success with project outcomes... However, perhaps not an MOE goal, I would have to say, that team dynamics certainly is put through the paces.

I do use a text book as a background, but mainly for self study and assign units to suppplement projects.

My role is that of consultant and encourager.. Not much else I can do with this type of class.

The delight is the students' CD presentations (10 minutes).. This seems to keep them interested and the students enjoy performing, and using their development English skills. Grades are encouraging..

Keep the suggestions comming...

Cheers Be merry and have good cheer.

Edited by Rhys