Driving On A Uk Car Licence

koppite

Shouldn't be a problem if you have a valid motorcycle endorsement on your lic. from the UK.

The cops sometimes are a little daft & don't know what to look for & once in a blue moon they will try to give you the what for - cause they don't understand other countries licenses. As long as you are not a year long or more tourist should be no problem. International license not to good here.

Get a letter of residence from Immigration or you Embassy, health certificate,copies of visa, front passport page, arrival stamp, and departure card number. Go to land office and find the drivers licenses office and start. In Chiang Mai just got mine an all day affair but now I am legal to drive a car or motorcycle. The computer and driving test isn't that hard just a bit weird the way the questions are written and presented.

Go to the Chiang mai section of forum and look for the drivers license thread I just posted my days fun and games there.

Depends what you are actually asking...

If you are in holidays, and asking if you will be able to rent one, the answer is yes. The hire places don't care...

You really should be getting an International Drivers Licence from you Auto Club, which will show your motorcycle endorsement, but Indoubt the cops would know what to look for...

Beware that your travel insurance probably doesn't cover you if you are riding a motorcycle and are not licensed in your home country.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Your travel insurance wont cover u if u dont have a full British M/bike license. (if you dont get a Thai license) Also you have no insurance in Thailand if/when u have an accident. You will be liable for repairs and any injury costs to other parties whether u are in the right or wrong. (and for an inexperienced newbie rider it more likely when than if) Thai traffic is a challenge for the experienced riders living here......u only need see the yearly total of farangs killed!!

I have heard of many instances where Farangs involved in accidents are locked up untill pay a bail bond also. Not something u really want. They are not British std jails!! Pattaya and Phuket police love guys like you!!

Best to negotiate a car rental....at least u have AC. Sound system etc. and maybe more protected in case of accidents. Actually only slightly dearer than big bike rental rates also

Oh......and dont drink and drive.

Edited by visions

I have heard of many instances where Farangs involved in accidents are locked up untill pay a bail bond also. Not something u really want.

What a load of rubbish.

You have 'heard' have you?

I have had two bike accidents..............not my fault and never had to pay a dime. The insurance guys and the police sort out who is wrong and who is right.

I have heard of many instances where Farangs involved in accidents are locked up untill pay a bail bond also. Not something u really want.

What a load of rubbish.

You have 'heard' have you?

I have had two bike accidents..............not my fault and never had to pay a dime. The insurance guys and the police sort out who is wrong and who is right.

being invoved in an accident with casualty usually requires 200k baht bail or bail bond. If you do not have a valid MC licence it gets worse, and you will usuaully be at fault nomatter how your driving was. In both cases they keep your passport until everthing is settled/ paid, and may keep you in monkey house

and this is not something I have heard, it takes place daily

If your auto license is for car & motorcycle it would not be acceptable as a motorcycle lic? In the U.S. you get a multi lic. if you have more than one certification & you have to have the auto to get the motorcycle.

Regardless of what your home country does, you can only drive or ride here legally (90 days at a stretch) if you have an International Driving Permit accompanying your home DL.

The IDP will list the categories you are licensed for and if that includes motor cycles then it will list Category A.

Although you should then be legally licensed (90 days at a stretch) you may still not be insured without a Thai DL.

If your auto license is for car & motorcycle it would not be acceptable as a motorcycle lic? In the U.S. you get a multi lic. if you have more than one certification & you have to have the auto to get the motorcycle.

Regardless of what your home country does, you can only drive or ride here legally (90 days at a stretch) if you have an International Driving Permit accompanying your home DL.

The IDP will list the categories you are licensed for and if that includes motor cycles then it will list Category A.

Although you should then be legally licensed (90 days at a stretch) you may still not be insured without a Thai DL.

Not correct, TH has entered a UN agreement accepting tourists using english language DL without being supported by IDP. The limit for tourists is 90 days, but you are no longer a tourist if you have issued certificate of residence, then TH DL becomes rquired.

Most Insurance companies honor above DL, but most motocy have no Insurance except for compulsory (Por Or Bor) costing 100 baht.year and thus covering close to nothing

So when my friends come up from the U.S. as tourists - They both have valid endorsements for both car & motorcycle will that license be good enough or will they need the international license as well?

Thailand is kind of strange with their laws. Even Indonesia your home country lic. is fine if valid. But this isn't Indo either.

So when my friends come up from the U.S. as tourists - They both have valid endorsements for both car & motorcycle will that license be good enough or will they need the international license as well?

Thailand is kind of strange with their laws. Even Indonesia your home country lic. is fine if valid. But this isn't Indo either.

US, like all countries signing the UN agreement, license is fine. No need for IDP in TH if licence in english language and clearly stating what vehicles you are licensed for

US, like all countries signing the UN agreement, license is fine. No need for IDP in TH if licence in english language and clearly stating what vehicles you are licensed for

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the states is useable for tourists if it has the motorcycle endorsement

Not correct, TH has entered a UN agreement accepting tourists using english language DL without being supported by IDP. The limit for tourists is 90 days, but you are no longer a tourist if you have issued certificate of residence, then TH DL becomes rquired.

Most Insurance companies honor above DL, but most motocy have no Insurance except for compulsory (Por Or Bor) costing 100 baht.year and thus covering close to nothing

I'm aware of the UN Agreements of 1926 and 1949 and the Automobile Association UK is still stating that an IDP is required under those conventions for Thailand.

Are you saying that they are misrepresenting the situation and that Thailand has made a different agreement?

I couldn't find it so I'd be grateful if you could provide a link so that I can correct them.

The Insurance Company which I was told had a Clause in their small print whereby they would not pay for accident damage if the driver did not have a Thai DL was Viriya. I was told by their repairng subsidiary Central Garage that they could not release my car to me unless I produced my Thai DL or paid the bill of 30k. They pointed to a Clause in my Policy, but I couldn't read it.

As luck would have it, I had obtained Thai DLs 2 weeks before collecting the vehicle, albeit about 4 months after the accident. The lady looked at the date, shrugged, ticked the box and released the car to me.

TiT so I may well be wrong, but I don't make stuff up. rolleyes.gif

Edit - AA Link

International Driving Permit

IDP requirements by country

Below are details of which IDP you need, and a list of countries for which a permit is required unless indicated otherwise. This information refers to UK driving licence holders only. We are unable to advise holders of overseas licences for travel outside the UK.

If the country you are visiting is not shown, please check the requirements through the appropriate tourist offices or embassies, and any relevant car hire company.

Generally, UK licences are accepted in other EU countries unless otherwise specified below. If you intend to hire a car overseas, see Important Notes (no. 4).

List of countries for which a permit is required

An IDP is required for the following countries.

Special conditions or requirements apply for those countries in the list below with one or more capital letters alongside. It is important that you refer to the corresponding note(s) at the foot of this page.

IDP 1949

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V Y Z

Thailand

Edited by mickba

I'm aware of the UN Agreements of 1926 and 1949 and the Automobile Association UK is still stating that an IDP is required under those conventions for Thailand.

Are you saying that they are misrepresenting the situation and that Thailand has made a different agreement?

I couldn't find it so I'd be grateful if you could provide a link so that I can correct them.

The Insurance Company which I was told had a Clause in their small print whereby they would not pay for accident damage if the driver did not have a Thai DL was Viriya. I was told by their repairng subsidiary Central Garage that they could not release my car to me unless I produced my Thai DL or paid the bill of 30k. They pointed to a Clause in my Policy, but I couldn't read it.

As luck would have it, I had obtained Thai DLs 2 weeks before collecting the vehicle, albeit about 4 months after the accident. The lady looked at the date, shrugged, ticked the box and released the car to me.

TiT so I may well be wrong, but I don't make stuff up. rolleyes.gif

Edit - AA Link

International Driving Permit

IDP requirements by country

Below are details of which IDP you need, and a list of countries for which a permit is required unless indicated otherwise. This information refers to UK driving licence holders only. We are unable to advise holders of overseas licences for travel outside the UK.

If the country you are visiting is not shown, please check the requirements through the appropriate tourist offices or embassies, and any relevant car hire company.

Generally, UK licences are accepted in other EU countries unless otherwise specified below. If you intend to hire a car overseas, see Important Notes (no. 4).

List of countries for which a permit is required

An IDP is required for the following countries.

Special conditions or requirements apply for those countries in the list below with one or more capital letters alongside. It is important that you refer to the corresponding note(s) at the foot of this page.

IDP 1949

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V Y Z

Thailand

dated AA info, if it can be used in France and Italy, it can be used in TH, same agreement. Sorry no link

Viriyha has 3 levels of 1st class car, and the lower level may (or may not) require TH DL. I have had top level (new parts in garage of my choice), claim and no TH DL asked for

dated AA info, if it can be used in France and Italy, it can be used in TH, same agreement. Sorry no link

Viriyha has 3 levels of 1st class car, and the lower level may (or may not) require TH DL. I have had top level (new parts in garage of my choice), claim and no TH DL asked for

I don't understand what you mean about France and Italy. I couldn't find mention of France and both are EU anyway so no IDP required as previously stated.

Italy is listed (not sure why) but with reference to :-

F

– All valid UK driving licences should be accepted. Acceptance of driving licences that are not of the European Communities model cannot be guaranteed therefore drivers may wish to voluntarily update them before travelling abroad, if time permits. Application for D1 (in Northern Ireland DL1) is available from most Post Offices. Alternatively, older licences may be accompanied by an IDP.

Sorry but that's not nearly hard enough information in either case for me to change my own interpretation of either situation.

Are you saying that there is a UN Convention signed by France, Italy and Thailand?

I thought your background was in a quite structured/disciplined profession or I wouldn't have asked for clarification.

My experience with Viriya and their subsidiary was as stated. My Insurance was First Class with maximum accident cover - I don't recall parts replacement cover as it was under Toyota Warranty from new and while i had it.

I got to know the staff at the garage quite well over the 5 months my Fortuner was in there, so I doubt there was any misunderstanding over the Exclusion Clause they pointed out. I believe the Policy Document was standard for all levels and the level applicable was added to it. The Clause pointed out was a standard one in the Policy - in Thai.

As we all know, actual experiences on the ground can vary a lot, but I shall continue to advise anyone i know who drives here on a UK DL to risk wasting £5 on an IDP for Thailand.

This forum is literally littered with opinion in line with mine regarding the need for an IDP in Thailand, so you have much to do to 'correct' that.

There is also a worthy poster who says that the only way you break the 90 day spell is with a border run - not an application for a Residence Certificate.

As I said before, I'm well aware that I could be wrong, but unless you can give me a reference to some hard information, I'll stick with what I think I know thanks. wai.gif

I don't understand what you mean about France and Italy. I couldn't find mention of France and both are EU anyway so no IDP required as previously stated.

Italy is listed (not sure why) but with reference to :-

F

– All valid UK driving licences should be accepted. Acceptance of driving licences that are not of the European Communities model cannot be guaranteed therefore drivers may wish to voluntarily update them before travelling abroad, if time permits. Application for D1 (in Northern Ireland DL1) is available from most Post Offices. Alternatively, older licences may be accompanied by an IDP.

Sorry but that's not nearly hard enough information in either case for me to change my own interpretation of either situation.

Are you saying that there is a UN Convention signed by France, Italy and Thailand?

I thought your background was in a quite structured/disciplined profession or I wouldn't have asked for clarification.

My experience with Viriya and their subsidiary was as stated. My Insurance was First Class with maximum accident cover - I don't recall parts replacement cover as it was under Toyota Warranty from new and while i had it.

I got to know the staff at the garage quite well over the 5 months my Fortuner was in there, so I doubt there was any misunderstanding over the Exclusion Clause they pointed out. I believe the Policy Document was standard for all levels and the level applicable was added to it. The Clause pointed out was a standard one in the Policy - in Thai.

As we all know, actual experiences on the ground can vary a lot, but I shall continue to advise anyone i know who drives here on a UK DL to risk wasting £5 on an IDP for Thailand.

This forum is literally littered with opinion in line with mine regarding the need for an IDP in Thailand, so you have much to do to 'correct' that.

There is also a worthy poster who says that the only way you break the 90 day spell is with a border run - not an application for a Residence Certificate.

As I said before, I'm well aware that I could be wrong, but unless you can give me a reference to some hard information, I'll stick with what I think I know thanks. wai.gif

90 days is for tourists only. you are not a tourist anymore if you

rent accomodation for more than 90 days

get certificate of residence, whats it gonna be tourist or resident?

have vehicle in your name

take employment here

establish company here

get married here

as for those in need of links, find them yourself, Phuket Forum has had links to last signed UN agreement posted several times

and above link stating all uk licenses should be accepted is wrong, photo and clarely stating (picture) kind of vehicle is needed, so old ones no good

90 days is for tourists only. you are not a tourist anymore if you..........................

Sorry but your information and interpretations of regulations are too vague for me.

Relying on whether you are a Tourist or a Resident on the basis of 200 Baht RCs, which are even being issued to Tourists on 30 day Visa Waiver lately (rightly or wrongly) just seems ridiculous to me.

The downside of unnecessarily obtaining an IDP for a year is wasting about 250 Baht.

The downside of finding out later that you should have had one, apart from routine roadside hassle, is potentially to find that you are driving illegally and uninsured. If that were to be in a serious accident situation it could be disastrous.

Until I see some sort of formal clarification of what you are suggesting I'll stick with what I think I know and the advice of those who appear to know more and have taken more time to find out the legal situation and understand it..

Thanks anyway.

90 days is for tourists only. you are not a tourist anymore if you..........................

Sorry but your information and interpretations of regulations are too vague for me.

Relying on whether you are a Tourist or a Resident on the basis of 200 Baht RCs, which are even being issued to Tourists on 30 day Visa Waiver lately (rightly or wrongly) just seems ridiculous to me.

The downside of unnecessarily obtaining an IDP for a year is wasting about 250 Baht.

The downside of finding out later that you should have had one, apart from routine roadside hassle, is potentially to find that you are driving illegally and uninsured. If that were to be in a serious accident situation it could be disastrous.

Until I see some sort of formal clarification of what you are suggesting I'll stick with what I think I know and the advice of those who appear to know more and have taken more time to find out the legal situation and understand it..

Thanks anyway.

having an Insurance claim, IDP does not help you. Only Thai DL does

keep on trusting UK IDP sellers, I am sure their info is accurate, for UK

Thanks anyway.

You are highly selective about which points you're willing to defend.

At least the AA only asks £5 for one, which is pretty low cost peace of mind.

Those advertising in your favourite place are the rip-off merchants at $39.99 plus $35 postage and possibly misleading options on the period of validity in one country?

post-37414-0-02047700-1325491670_thumb.j

The OP doesn't have a valid motorcycle licence from any country so 'legally' the OP cannot ride a motorcyle in Thailand (or in the UK if over 50cc for that matter). As the OP doesn't have a valid motorcycle licence, an IDP to ride a motorcycle would not be given.

I am led to believe that with a little effort a Thai licence is obtainable, whatever the duration of stay, but without a valid licence/IDP a test must be taken. If a licence was granted to an individual without a 'non immigration' visa, I'm not sure how that would stand if put to the test in a court of law.

Why not just rent a car? A car licence (with IDP) allows you to do that and your guaranteed to be fully compliant with the law.

I have used my home licence with an IDP for many years. A (reputable) rental company always insisted that I held an IDP, up to last year when I made the move here. I wanted a long term rent until I decided what ride I was going to buy. Suddenly my IDP was no longer useful. Neither were my; Australian, UK, US, Qatar or Emiratti licences (all in English). To lease the car I had to get a Thai licence. I went along to DLT with my documents and was given a Thai licence.

Without a Thai licence you can only drive in Thailand for 90 days, Whether you have an IDP with supporting home licence or. (and I have never seen this in print) only a home licence in English. Considering the cost of an IDP, I would always get one when travelling. It's better to have a document which you may not really need in all circumstances, than not to have the document you really need when things go awry and you don't speak the local language.

Thanks anyway.

You are highly selective about which points you're willing to defend.

At least the AA only asks £5 for one, which is pretty low cost peace of mind.

Those advertising in your favourite place are the rip-off merchants at $39.99 plus $35 postage and possibly misleading options on the period of validity in one country?

post-37414-0-02047700-1325491670_thumb.j

I have no need to defend anything. IDP, legal one year or illegal, is a waste of money driving in TH. TH DL is needed for anyone claiming to be resident or stay here more than 90 days. Period.

Having a major Insurance claim, lets say in the 1-10million baht range, providing a non TH DL (with or without the support of IDP) Insurancecompanies HQ will require to see passport. If its more than 90 days in TH or Non Imm Visa, or any proof of residence like ownership of a vehicle or a home lease, it wont be much of a claim.

Minor claims will continue to slip through by Insurance rep or garage.

as a part of the UN agreement to not need IDP, TH has changed their (our) DL to also contain english language and picture of vehicle holder of TH DL is approved for. So has most of the rest of the world. IDP sellers will continue to make business tho, as some will want it. I had my last IDP in 1986, at that time needed in the south of Europe.

Your argument regarding the need for an IDP makes sense as an IDP is only a translation of one's licence, with a photo added and now some reputable hire companies appear to be accepting foreign licences with the details specified in English. In late 2010 they stipulated an IDP was needed, so it seems something has indeed changed. As a Thai resident I can't use my home licence(s) to rent anymore, so I can't say whether they do as they say or not.

However, both the British and US embassies in Bangkok say that an IPD is required for Thailand, when driving for up to 90 days using licence from one's country of residence. This is also stated by Thai consulates outside Thailand.

This requirement is also stated by many who offer an IDP service, but as you rightly say they probably have a vested interest in maintaining their income. Especially those offering permits at extortionate prices.

There isn't anything specific out there, which clouds the issue and causes confusion. Personally, if I was a tourist, I would choose to side with the official government departments and comply with their advice. Others may not, but my choice negates any possible risk due to a misunderstanding.

Some GB licences don't comply with the Vienna convention though. Such as the old green paper GB licence, which is what I have. It's still a valid licence, but I'm absolutely sure that I couldn't use it outside the UK without an IDP. Maybe some other folks have paper licences too.

anyone staying for longer than 90 days should really pass the test in thai (its a joke of a test really,drive around a car park for about 90 seconds ) ,the police are a lot more lenient if you have a thai licence where as a farang on holiday will almost always have to pay a fine in every police checkpoint

a permanent resident who can speak a bit of thai and has thai documentation and driving permit can pay less often and smaller amounts as well

my friends routinely pay 1000 or 500 and i usually pay about 200 or even 100 ometimes if i havent done anything wrong and its just "collection day " :)