Heated Pool

Lakemountain

Pattaya 3rd Road, 300m right side after crossing Pattaya Klang (driving from "downtown"), Irrigation shop which carries various sizes of black irrigation tubing. smallest ø outside 15mm, wall thickness 1mm = ø inside 13mm. 600 Baht for one roll 200m length. maximum bending radius ~40cm.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are bunch of wimps, my pool is 22c get in and get swimming..............

But if you really want warmer water in the winter you are barking up the wrong tree, Your main problem is the cold nights, your heat losses occurs then, so that is where you start. Otherwise you are constantly playing catch-up.

Someone else suggested bubble-wrap, but make a feed roll to apply it to the water and a polyester hem to the perimeter, for shape retention. If you buy a dark colour you will get pretty good solar heating during the day and insulation during the night. They work in the UK where the solar gain is much less and the nights colder.

• 2 weeks later...

Pool temperatures below 28° are just unacceptable, I agree. To cope with the freezing temperatures in raro's pool, we are seriously contemplating to use a submersible pump and a long black garden hose exposed to the sun (on the roof maybe?) and pump the water through the hose. Anyone tried it before? Does it work?

a friend in England heated his pool by cutting holes in loads of bottles then passing a standard garden hose through them stacking them in a pyramid in a sunny corner of his garden and positioning a few nice rock plants to disguise it, added a very low volume submersible pump and what do you know it works a treat , so more sunshine, its got to work here.

my only brother's elder brother will have (God and Thai customs willing) by the end of next month 24m² solar panels installed on his roof and will therefore not bitch again about pool water being to cold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my only brother's elder brother will have (God and Thai customs willing) by the end of next month 24m² solar panels installed on his roof and will therefore not bitch again about pool water being to cold.

its not 24 but "only" 20m². roof panels are fixed, piping has to be connected to the system. not easy! i am still sweating making drawings with a zillion check-valves and manual valves that solar and aircon heating can each work independently as well as synchronous. the latter not withstanding the fact that heating by aircon has become superflous.

p.s. Thai custom cared a <deleted> for "solar" and levied 40% duty on "PVC" bah.gif

post-35218-0-51047500-1334022171_thumb.j

post-35218-0-42377200-1334022241_thumb.j

post-35218-0-74483500-1334022309_thumb.j

Edited by Naam

Oh my! Galvanized unions Naam? And is that exchanger water to gas with no boundary to protect it in case of corrosion penetration? Recipe for an expensive A/C failure but I like your heat pump creativity.. Did you recharge the system yourself?

Oh my! Galvanized unions Naam? And is that exchanger water to gas with no boundary to protect it in case of corrosion penetration? Recipe for an expensive A/C failure but I like your heat pump creativity.. Did you recharge the system yourself?

the innerts of the (bloody expensive) heat exchanger are made of Titanium which (most probably) will not show any corrosion 20 years after they carried me to the crematorium. reason: inside pool, no sun radiation, therefore CL only 0.2-0.4 ppm except after shocking.

until now the system had two functions, i.e. cooling the enclosed pool area (our alternate living room) and heating the pool water. with the solar panels the function pool heating ceases to exist and the 36k btu/h unit will be used just for airconditioning. if there is no water flow (there won't be any in future) condenser cooling is taken over automatically by a stepless fan.

by the way, it took me some time to find a contractor who built and installed the unit according to my "design".

the innerts of the (bloody expensive) heat exchanger are made of Titanium which (most probably) will not show any corrosion 20 years after they carried me to the crematorium. reason: inside pool, no sun radiation, therefore CL only 0.2-0.4 ppm except after shocking.

until now the system had two functions, i.e. cooling the enclosed pool area (our alternate living room) and heating the pool water. with the solar panels the function pool heating ceases to exist and the 36k btu/h unit will be used just for airconditioning. if there is no water flow (there won't be any in future) condenser cooling is taken over automatically by a stepless fan.

by the way, it took me some time to find a contractor who built and installed the unit according to my "design".

Titanium?? OK well naturally I assumed based on what I've been reading thus far that a lesser material was being used and as I thought it was your own manufacture I was hoping you didn't use just plain copper tubing instead of something like copper nickle which is much harder and resistant to corrosion and the drilling effect of turbulent vortices formed within the exchanger. Carry on then...

But are they still galvanized unions though? They seem so and that makes them a serious weak point in what otherwise seems to be a strong and potentially effective design something along the lines of what I wanted to design some years ago before it was quite as fashionable to save energy as it has become..

But are they still galvanized unions though?

eff the unions Warp. they have no more function. and if you need a Titanium heat exchanger at a bargain price let me know. freaking thingy cost me more than what i paid for the actual aircon unit.

Edited by Naam