Why You Can'T Buy Alcohol In Supermarkets Between 2Pm And 5Pm?

facey

Something to do with School kids and limiting their access to alcohol during the hours when they are finishing school for the day.

Easiest solution is to buy 10litres or more (2 slabs of beer) or just go to the mom and pop shops.

I had all so read that if you buy 10 Litres  or more , the 2 pm - 5 pm law does not apply

Preventing school kids from buying alcohol was the official reason or this ridiculous law. At least they gave up on that even more idiotic gas station closure t 10 pm.

On the night of the coup I was with friends in Walking Street. We wanted to buy a beer in a 7/11 past midnight. Staff said cannot. We said come on, Thaksin is gone.....oh...ok....then no problem, here's your beer crazy.gif

Depends on the shop/location where you buy, or if the staff knows you, if you are farang, or if Buddha was gracious, or if.......

The 7/11 opposite our shop sells Beer at any time to me. But recently GF (Staff seemed not to remember her) went to this 7 to buy beer. Medai, medai (cannot). She told the staff, that she work opposite side and that she my wife. Ahh ok, then no problem.

Even Best, Friendship sell beer at any time.

Yes I agree it's licensing laws. The same licensing laws require retailers not to sell alcohol before 11AM and not after midnight. Has nothing to do with school kids.

Barry

Oh yes it has!!! This original law goes back to 1965 and is part of the "Child Protection Act". It wasn't enforced until 2002 when the act was modified. Then the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security insisted that the act must be strictly enforced....... and so we have this ridiculous and illogical law.

Yes I agree it's licensing laws. The same licensing laws require retailers not to sell alcohol before 11AM and not after midnight. Has nothing to do with school kids.

Barry

Oh yes it has!!! This original law goes back to 1965 and is part of the "Child Protection Act". It wasn't enforced until 2002 when the act was modified. Then the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security insisted that the act must be strictly enforced....... and so we have this ridiculous and illogical law.

The way I understand is that between 11 am and 2 pm, when it is allowed to sell alcohol, schoolkids have lunch break.So actually the law was created to make sure that those schoolkids could have a beer with their lunch.

It's also not allowed to be sold from midnight till 11am i think

Sad, but true! I would love to buy a beer at 7/11on the way home after arriving late at the airport. But no can do. sad.png

might depend where u are... i got some bacardi things for the girl from a 7 on ramkhamheang road...and also some grog for me at the Foodland on same road...around 2am

Barry

The way I understand is that between 11 am and 2 pm, when it is allowed to sell alcohol, schoolkids have lunch break.So actually the law was created to make sure that those schoolkids could have a beer with their lunch.

since you can buy 10 liters up at any time of the day, we learn that school kids are encouraged not to drink a little bit but to piss up to the max :D

• Like 1

Barry

cheesy.gif

Barry

since you can buy 10 liters up at any time of the day, we learn that school kids are encouraged not to drink a little bit but to piss up to the max biggrin.png

Promoting binge drinking like in UK and making extra profits for the brewers.

Makes more sense that the real reason given which was to prevent schoolkids buying beer on their way home.

It certainly is a bizzare law.

I was eating at Fuji in Big C North Pattaya , must have been after 14:00 & they would not serve me with a beer but when I looked to my left just outside they were serving beer in the beer garden. So it's OK to drink outside in public but not at a restaurant ?

The reason 10 litres is the trigger, it is considered a wholesale transaction.

I call that "personal use" rather than wholesale biggrin.png

I hope yu and Mr Connors have recovered from trying to prove this as a fact. burp.gif

pot...kettle.....? :P