Defamation

Langsuan Man

Thai law is a bit different in that the mere fact that one is telling the thruth is not enough. Thai culture of not wanting to lose face is reflected in the law, by adding a second requirement that telling things that is making one lose face must not only be true but also in the public interest to reveal. The resulting lost of face must be outweighted by the public interest.

Defamation is a criminal charge in Thailand. Also, it does not have to be false in order to charge someone, it simply has to be done with the intent of causing damage to reputation.

Thaivisa has no desire to turn our records over to the police should someone choose to sue you for criminal defamation. I hope thats clear.

Thank you, clear as mud,

So I guess if I am injured or hurt by the actions of a Thai entity, for example a hospital, doctor or clinic, because they will lose face, I cannot warn others of the potential hazards

The whole concept of buyer beware has a different meaning in Thailand

Edited by Langsuan Man

Thank you, clear as mud,

So I guess if I am injured or hurt by the actions of a Thai entity, for example a hospital, doctor or clinic, because they will lose face, I cannot warn others of the potential hazards

I think you can warn whoever you want about whatever you want...with possible consequences..and also just not on ThaiVisa..

Thank you, clear as mud,

Defamation is a criminal charge, which can mean possible jail time as well as fines. If you have a real consumer complaint, contact the office of consumer complaints, they do actually help I understand