Krabi Next Week

heatherm

Hi There, I have a friend visiting from the States for her first trip to Thailand and I had planned to visit Hua Hin and Krabi next week. I've scrapped the Hua Hin plan and would like to know how Krabi is right now. We will be arriving on Jan 2 from Bangkok. I've been to Krabi before and can't imagine it having the huge waves I saw on the television. I would like to know if the tour boat operators are still giving tours of the islands. If you think the trip would be pleasant, could you recommend a cheaper place to stay that is a little close to a beach, but not in a heavy tourist area. I speak enough Thai that I feel comfortable being away from all that. Also, if you could recommend a private tour guy that is good, that would be wonderful.

Lastly, before you grumpy guys jump down my throat for asking questions answered someplace else, I did look at old posts. Really old posts. I am looking for current information.

Thanks!

We had some windy days recently and the waves between Phi Phi and Ao Nang reached about 1 m. Yesterday it was ok, only early morning some waves and they calmed down in the course of the day.The weather is usually best this season. Ao Nang is very busy this week and expected to be less next week. The beaches of Krabi never have huge waves (except when the tsunami hit 8 years ago) and I don't know what you've seen on television. Tour operators are all common rated with the same prices during the main season.

The news has been showing waves washing away roads and tourists being trapped on islands because waves are too large to travel. They've forecast impending doom, four more sets of big waves, and anarchy until February. I don't believe most of what they say, so am asking locals on the forum if we should go next week as planned or stay in Bangkok.

Not sure what Thai Tv station it was but, Asia World News did a headline on it. This is the link for the forum post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/521484-high-waves-strike-southern-provinces-tourists-stranded-on-island/

Like I said, I'm not saying Krabi is getting the high waves, I would just like a local to tell me if it is a good week to go down there. Also, by "good tour guy" I don't mean the cheapest around. I'm looking to rent a guy for a day or two that is nice and goes to good spots with less tourists.

Here is the forum article for today http://www.thaivisa....ms-pound-south/ They are telling Udon Thani people to evacuate the beach. The train station we get off is in Udon Thani so I am curious if going to Krabi is a good idea.

Thats about the east coast in the Gulf, Krabi is west coast Andaman sea and driving along Ao Nang beach front today its flat calm and sunny, theres no worries about coming