Animated Avatars.

Crossy

Firstly to those members who hate the things, sorry!

But to the members who have animated avatars that have become disanimated with the new board software, this is how to make them work:-

1. Go to My Profile (no not my profile, yours).
  2. You should see your avatar animating in all its glory at top left.
  3. Right click on the avatar (ignore the change button that pops up for now) and save it to your desktop.
  4. Now click on that Change button that appears when you hover over the avatar.
  5. Check 'Use Custom Photo' (should be the default) and browse to and select your saved avatar.
  6. Click 'Open'.
  7. Click 'Done'.

Those of you who have the original file don't need to go through the saving rigmarole (but of course you knew that anyway).

I don't think you can link to external avatars except Gravatar like you could with the old version.

EDIT If anyone sees errors with these instructions or has alternative solutions / enhancements please post here.

Regarding avatar limits:

I just ran a series of empirical tests on avatar sizes. Created from the same image 200, 300, 400, 500, and 1000 pixel wide images. After testing them and getting failures I increased the jpg compression to get a series of file sizes but same pixel width. 500 and 1000 failed above 100kB. 500C (103kB) failed but below 100kB both it and 1000 (90kB) worked. So would appear that the limit for avatars is 100kB.

Beyond this file size limit you will get the 'failed to set' error.