Effects Of Wrong Amperage Adapter With Appliance

junkofdavid2

Okay, so my co-worker borrowed by adapter (output 3.42A) and plugged it into her notebook (4+ amperes) so there was a mismatch.

My question: Can this damage my ADAPTER? (I don't care about co-worker's notebook; I made it clear not to do it if the amperes are different but the lad went ahead anyway when I was out of the office)

Now that the adapter has been returned to me, is it safe to use it on my notebook? I'm concerned that if the ADAPTER has been damaged, it will then damage my notebook.

Thanks!

The adapter is probably current limited, so would have only been supplying the 3.2 amps. It is nothing unusual for there to be two types of adapters for laptop, basic and extra charge. Same battery, just different chargers.

So should be no problem.

Cheers

I'd say go ahead and use the adapter, provided it's still working. The 4+ amperes is a maximum demand when recharging the notebook battery, not continuous use.

I agree, if your co-workers notebook was actually using 4A then your adapter would probably get a bit hot and could burn out after prolonged use. As stated it is unlikely that their notebook was actually drawing the full 4A so your adapter was probably working within its limits.

As for safe to use, well if the adapter had been overcooked in some way the most likely outcome would be that it would just fail to work.