Blocking Walking Along The Beach @ Arkbar

Your property stops at you boundary lines. No permanent structure 10 metres back from boundary line bordering the beach.

Beach is the beach, you have no rights of encroachment , high or low tide marks have nothing to do with it.

Laudable or legal as this might be, many resorts have markers on the beach (sometimes heavy anchor rope on the ground) designating "their private" sand area. I can think of one in Chaweng like this. The beach-bed encroachment is not only against the restriction of the 10 meters of beach being "crown lands," but an eyesore as well.

A resort in Lamai has an illegal floating dock, up in Maenam a big waterfront lot is fenced off, Banyon Tree in Lamai will not allow you to even enter the property unless you are "someone," let alone the beach, The Sarann resort below the lookout point in Chaweng Noi with it's illegally reclaimed frontage (remember the protest banners?) and sand is roped off to corral business in Chaweng, to name but a few.

The question is: "Officially," who cares? By that I mean who cares enough to actually do anything about it?

Every time I see a photo of the smiling mayor of Samui, I think, "Do you really have no idea what's going on around the island regarding illegal structures, illegal development, even illegal speed bumps on public roads?" He's clearly "our man at the top" for Samui locals who need to get things done...either that or he doesn't get out much.

But take the Ark Bar situation; who do you go to, to get action when you can't walk across the king's frontage on their property because of sun beds and constructions? Answer? No one.

and have you seen the mayors resort??? .....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this at the entrance today, the beach is emptied out, waves are crashing in.

post-12697-0-62989600-1325562098_thumb.j

Is that sign on boards ? and are they the barrier blocking the beach ?

glad I don't bother with Chaweng, for the first time in nearly a year I went into a night club last thursday (friday am) on Soi Blackjack

a tourist or a wasterner ended up getting stabbed multiple times by a Thai guy, the victim looked in a very bad way, hope he was ok.

Saw this at the entrance today, the beach is emptied out, waves are crashing in.

Is that sign on boards ? and are they the barrier blocking the beach ?

glad I don't bother with Chaweng, for the first time in nearly a year I went into a night club last thursday (friday am) on Soi Blackjack

a tourist or a wasterner ended up getting stabbed multiple times by a Thai guy, the victim looked in a very bad way, hope he was ok.

This was a sign put up on a barrier at the entrance of the 'old' or original Ark Bar, it's a construction barrier and not on the beach at all. The barriers on the beach have been taken down since there's not much beach left with the current waves coming in. There's only trash and debris all along Chaweng beach today.

• Like 1

I do not agree with a lot of things that some bars get up to, but this sign seems fair enough to me.

Pretty daam rude to buy a drink in one place and then take it somewhere else because the other place 'might be more fun'.

• Like 1

I do not agree with a lot of things that some bars get up to, but this sign seems fair enough to me.

Pretty daam rude to buy a drink in one place and then take it somewhere else because the other place 'might be more fun'.

Plenty more bars in Soi Green mango have a similar policy and won't allow entrance with drinks purchased outside.

• Like 1

Plenty more bars in Soi Green mango have a similar policy and won't allow entrance with drinks purchased outside.

Don´t you think its a little different not allowing other drinks to enter your bar, to not allowing them on a public beach??

Don´t you think its a little different not allowing other drinks to enter your bar, to not allowing them on a public beach??

You are right Jon - taking drinks onto the beach is different. If I understand all of the posts correctly though, I was under the impression that this sign is at the entrance to the bar - not on the beach.

"This was a sign put up on a barrier at the entrance of the 'old' or original Ark Bar, it's a construction barrier and not on the beach at all."

• Like 1

Sure, but the same banner is together with other signs put up to create a block that stretches almost down to the water on both sides of ArkBars "private" beach area. That´s what the OP referred to,

Of course thats a "block" you can easily pass, but I still find it quite offensive to require people not to bring whatever drink they like to a public beach just to maximize their return from land that´s not theirs.

Edited by JonW

• 1 month later...

As with so many other complaints on this forum the main problem here is corrupt police, politicians and any official you deal with. The law is there but those supposed to uphold it are way too busy feathering their own nests.

You only have to see what goes on in KP with the "lawkeepers" - recently a "police officer" was caught with 1kg of "Ice", then allowed out on "bail" to carry out his "duties" - only to be caught with crystal meth not 2 weeks later. Not to mention the very same officer had recently spent time in "rehab".

I thought drugs carried a death sentence in Thailand?

Seems to me they need to look within if they really want to clean this place up.

Edited by ParadiseLost

• 2 months later...

The 2 temporary tables/platforms are 2 metres in length. A total of 4 metres in the water for 4-5 hours twice a week.

They are platforms for Thai fire-show performers. That's correct, Thai (we are in Thailand) staff, who get paid by Ark Bar to entertain hundreds of tourists 2 nights per week.

Many of these tourists make the decision to come to Koh Samui based on the popularity of Ark Bar.

While these tourists are in Samui, they spend money in hundreds of different shops and locations. Maybe some money is spent where your wife, girlfriend or next door neighbour works. This expenditure may even help to pay her salary.

As for blocking Chaweng Beach: What about 2 beach towels laid side by side, do they not also block the beach?

Do the beach towels help provide entertainment to hundreds of people every week or help pay the wages of local Thai workers?

As for blocking Chaweng Beach: What about 2 beach towels laid side by side, do they not also block the beach?

Do the beach towels help provide entertainment to hundreds of people every week or help pay the wages of local Thai workers?

A little bit different then sun chairs, or very large banners don't you say?As for providing wages for Thai workers lol, sorry forgot about the huge profit margins.

I am so glad we have you, Samui's economy would be in shambles without your contributions.

Edited by Oak

Your property stops at you boundary lines. No permanent structure 10 metres back from boundary line bordering the beach.

Beach is the beach, you have no rights of encroachment , high or low tide marks have nothing to do with it.

Laudable or legal as this might be, many resorts have markers on the beach (sometimes heavy anchor rope on the ground) designating "their private" sand area. I can think of one in Chaweng like this. The beach-bed encroachment is not only against the restriction of the 10 meters of beach being "crown lands," but an eyesore as well.

A resort in Lamai has an illegal floating dock, up in Maenam a big waterfront lot is fenced off, Banyon Tree in Lamai will not allow you to even enter the property unless you are "someone," let alone the beach, The Sarann resort below the lookout point in Chaweng Noi with it's illegally reclaimed frontage (remember the protest banners?) and sand is roped off to corral business in Chaweng, to name but a few.

The question is: "Officially," who cares? By that I mean who cares enough to actually do anything about it?

Every time I see a photo of the smiling mayor of Samui, I think, "Do you really have no idea what's going on around the island regarding illegal structures, illegal development, even illegal speed bumps on public roads?" He's clearly "our man at the top" for Samui locals who need to get things done...either that or he doesn't get out much.

But take the Ark Bar situation; who do you go to, to get action when you can't walk across the king's frontage on their property because of sun beds and constructions? Answer? No one.

You'd think people like the owners of Ark Bar would have a little more respect for the king than to wantonly disregard the one small concession that is asked by the royal family of beachfront owners regarding public access to the beach.

I think it is "crossing the line" to say that the owners do not respect the Royal Family.

Do you know what written, paid and officially signed permits Ark Bar or any other beach front hotel has to be permitted to put moveable furniture on the beach?

Edited by Rooo
text colour

A little bit different then sun chairs, or very large banners don't you say?As for providing wages for Thai workers lol, sorry forgot about the huge profit margins.

I am so glad we have you, Samui's economy would be in shambles without your contributions.

I am very sorry, I miss your point. Why exactly is the 2 moveable platforms in the water, not blocking anyone, worse than the 2 beach towels on the sand blocking the walkway? Or maybe it is just a little bit of jealousy that is actually blocking the way?

How about using the same colour when you post ysamui as the rest of us?

Cheers.

Because, thank Buddha, I am not like the rest of you. I do not hide behind an alias. And I tell the truth. I do not have the time to make up gossip or stories. I am now starting to realise how lucky I am.

I have changed TEXT colour. Simple Forum Netiquette to use standard required format.

Thank you.

Rooo.

Edited by Rooo
Text colour.

I have deleted an inflammatory post & the reply to it. This topic would be better served if you can possibly direct the questions to ysamui ( Terry ) in a constructive manner & give him a chance to respond properly.

Some rules you have all agreed to abide by when you signed on:

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

I am not like the rest of you. I do not hide behind an alias.

So is ysamui your first name or family name? How do you actually pronounce that?

The point is that the regulations about beachfront land have nothing to do with what is there or for what purpose. Fire show, charity drive, dancing monkeys, signs about entry....no matter. You shouldn't be erecting anything on the beach, period, unless it's a one-off sort of thing, which I believe does not break the spirit of the law.

By the way, I came to Thailand because of the famous Ark Bar. If not for the Ark Bar, I'd probably have settled in Bora Bora.

...What's wrong with a little color in your writing? Doesn't bother me... : )

I am not like the rest of you. I do not hide behind an alias.

So is ysamui your first name or family name? How do you actually pronounce that?

The point is that the regulations about beachfront land have nothing to do with what is there or for what purpose. Fire show, charity drive, dancing monkeys, signs about entry....no matter. You shouldn't be erecting anything on the beach, period, unless it's a one-off sort of thing, which I believe does not break the spirit of the law.

By the way, I came to Thailand because of the famous Ark Bar. If not for the Ark Bar, I'd probably have settled in Bora Bora.

...What's wrong with a little color in your writing? Doesn't bother me... : )

On numerous occasions I have told all that my name is Terry and I am the manager of Ark Bar

Ark Bar has never stopped anyone from taking drinks to the beach.

Ark Bar in fact, has been one of very few hotels in Chaweng to allow public walk through access to the beach.

• Like 1

You'd think people like the owners of Ark Bar would have a little more respect for the king than to wantonly disregard the one small concession that is asked by the royal family of beachfront owners regarding public access to the beach.

Ark Bar does allow public access to the beach by allowing the general public to walk through the Ark Bar property and onto the beach. I am unaware of any other hotel in the area that allows this. Do you know of any?

The temporary and portable banners are only erected at night time, twice a week, for a few hours. A simple pole into the sand (the same as a beach umbrella) and then removed at closing time.

How does this action imply that the owners disrespect the Royal Family of Thailand? Does this also imply that all beach and sun lovers who put a towel onto the beach or an umbrella into the sand are also guilty of disrespect?

Edited by ysamui

On numerous occasions I have told anyone interested that my name is Terry and I am the manager of Ark Bar.

Maybe that information was in my earlier deleted posts? If so, I understand your humour, and I laugh along with you.

I do like the colours you have used above, however it does beg the following question:

Why is it ok for you to add some colour to your text and not me? (is italic permitted?) My coloured text has been changed to black.

I am only writing the following as an example of what has been said about Ark Bar.

I certainly do not suggest any of it is true in any way:

Maybe you are allowed colour because:

You are paying tea money to the Thai visa moderator?

Or, perhaps money talks?

Or, that your permitted actions are the bane of Samui?

Or, that you pay the police.

Or that you are disrespectful to the belief "freedom of speech"

Or, that you disrespect the law

All of the above has been said about Ark Bar because of a temporary pole in the sand holding a sign. And the comments have been allowed to stay on for all to read.

I did post a list of all the good things Ark Bar and it's owners do for the local community earlier. However it was deemed an advertisement and deleted.

Strange how bad and inaccurate comments are allowed and positive factual comments are edited and classed as advertisements!

I am curious as to why so many local people enjoy "bagging" a successful business?

Does Ark Bar do any harm to you? Does Ark Bar slag off at you? How is Ark Bar detrimental to Samui?

Is it boredom? Maybe the "tall poppy syndrome".

Or is it a combination of too many hours in a day and too much alcohol?

I wonder how long this comment will stay on Thai Visa before it is deleted and I am banned?

Signed: Terry Bouris, manager at Ark Bar Beach Resort

Edited by ysamui

Ark bar owns that section of the beach. Well, they seem to think that they own it.

Without the beach they would be nothing.

What a horrible place. Makes lots of money, though.

Well they certainly pay the rent, and on time, of all the properties that are bordering the beach. The King owns the beach. Ark Bar merely applies for written permission from the correct authorities to use the beach, to sell alcohol and to play music. These licenses are displayed publicly for all to see.

Maybe the owners of Ark Bar BEACH Resort had the foresight to choose this location and would agree with your comment about the beach.

Maybe Bangkok airways also thought it would be a good idea to build a runway for it's planes?

Maybe the local "girlie" bars thought business would be better if they actually had some girls working in it?

Edited by ysamui