The Promenada Resort Mall

jaideeguy

I was thinking the same when I read that post. Gravy & mayo ... oh well each to their own taste.

I guess to cater to the Dutch and American's......but then it wouldn't be a real Fish and Chip place.

As I said they were talking about upscale.

Don't really think they want a lot of people wandering around with a news paper full of fish and chips.

Upscale F&C in Chiang Mai??.........I'd settle for OK.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was at school, or not, ,at the local f'n'c (that sounds rude) ... you could get a grilled fillet instead of a battered fille't - with a wedge of lemon that was pretty dam_n good; anyone in town offer that?

Or even better, a jen-uine steak sanga? Now there's a business opp. Moto with steak sanga's doing the rounds. What'sa steak sanga cost back in Oz these days?

Back when I was at school, or not, ,at the local f'n'c (that sounds rude) ... you could get a grilled fillet instead of a battered fille't - with a wedge of lemon that was pretty dam_n good; anyone in town offer that?

Or even better, a jen-uine steak sanga? Now there's a business opp. Moto with steak sanga's doing the rounds. What'sa steak sanga cost back in Oz these days?

as in tartare? Never thought to try it here as bit sceptical of the beef!

A lot of British places serve it with tartar sauce? That's close enough to mayo for me. Better, actually.

Really, that must be a new feature in the UK. I was never ever offered tartar sauce in a UK fish n chip in my 45 year of living there, mind you I've not been back for the past 15 +++ years. I guess these places must have become more civilised these days .. whistling.gif

There's 'Bistro', at Nim Plaza near the Airport (where Rim Ping airport is), next to Wine Connection. Very, very good Fish & Chips.

I'm hoping for more shops of that kind at Promenada too; independent shops like Wine Connection, Butter is Better, Bistro and Thom's Coffee, and some nice Thai restaurants.

I hear you, but F&C is predominantly farang dish - can't recall seeing a Thai eat it anywhere, I just don't see the Thai's taking to it in droves, like the established Pizza Hut, KFC etc, and the custom required to pay the rents wouldn't be there. I think any venture must guarantee the Thai's will want it However, I've been known to be wrong.

Long John Silvers in Singapore and Malaysia packs em in, they love it. My Thai missus loves fish n greaso's too.

Something different from fried chicken and donuts.

A lot of British places serve it with tartar sauce? That's close enough to mayo for me. Better, actually.

Really, that must be a new feature in the UK. I was never ever offered tartar sauce in a UK fish n chip in my 45 year of living there, mind you I've not been back for the past 15 +++ years. I guess these places must have become more civilised these days .. whistling.gif

It is the American influence. They are just trying to help their gurmay less friends.

"Cod, Chips and a couple of onions Harry....with tartar sauce on the side".......poor guy wouldn't know what I meant.

I too have never been offered tartar sauce in a chippy....but there again I only frequented the low class joints - always avoided those that used The Times or FT.

Edited by uptheos

There's 'Bistro', at Nim Plaza near the Airport (where Rim Ping airport is), next to Wine Connection. Very, very good Fish & Chips.

I'm hoping for more shops of that kind at Promenada too; independent shops like Wine Connection, Butter is Better, Bistro and Thom's Coffee, and some nice Thai restaurants.

I hear you, but F&C is predominantly farang dish - can't recall seeing a Thai eat it anywhere, I just don't see the Thai's taking to it in droves, like the established Pizza Hut, KFC etc, and the custom required to pay the rents wouldn't be there. I think any venture must guarantee the Thai's will want it However, I've been known to be wrong.

Long John Silvers in Singapore and Malaysia packs em in, they love it. My Thai missus loves fish n greaso's too.

Something different from fried chicken and donuts.

Colonial influence. biggrin.png

I think you'll find most Thai's like fish, but done a certain way.

However, it would be good to see a LJS or similar give it a go.

• Like 1

An example: http://www.tripadvis...re_England.html (Though I admit I meant 'British run places in Thailand ;) )

Also the Ancestral Home of Grubby Fish and Chips in Thailand, also known as The Offshore in Bangkok (around the corner from Cowboy) serves it this way. (Comes with the condiments basket, though I forgot if you have to ask): http://sparklette.ne...humvit-bangkok/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Looks like it's going to be more upscale than the other malls here. Hopefully not another 'big C'!!

With a name like 'Promenada Resort Mall' catering to the mainstream Thai population may not be in the marketing "plan". Is there going to be a full scale spa/resort hotel connected as well.

Always nice to wonder around in upscale malls like Gaysorn while drinking a 90b coffee and observe the beautiful yet hopelessly bored staff wishing for someone to dare step into the shop.

To be sure it will be another grandiose and pretentious outlay in "Richy-Rich Land"

Depends what part of Blighty you were living. In the North West they rarely eat chips without gravy on them. In the South we normally eat Tartar Sauce with our fish and Mayo' or Brown Sauce with our chips. In Norfolk you will never get a bag of chips without a great dollop of Mayo' on top, just like Holland and Germany. Fish and Chips in Britain are a very regional thing, even certain fish have different names in different parts of the country, eg;Rock Salmon in London, Gurnet in North Kent, Huss in South Kent are all the same fish....I know because my Grandad was a Fisherman who spent his life on a boat catching them. That is when he wasn't stoking the boilers of one of Jellico's Ironclad's at Jutland with a size 9 coal shovel !

Edited by trainman34014

In the South we normally eat Tartar Sauce with our fish and Mayo' or Brown Sauce with our chips.

Sorry to disagree if you're talking about the average F&C shop, I've hardly seen anyone using mayo or brown sauce with chips. Mind you it could be a 'new thing' as I haven't been to a chippy for donkey's years.

For me in the south, Salt & Vinegar on chips is the only way to go.

The Offshore, Rays Paradise in The Big Mango.

Been a while since I have had a meal down there, Fish, Chips, Real Mushy Peas, not mashed peas as at Kelly's, took Ray Two years to find the correct type of Marrowfat pea.

Always bothers me when Sufferners cum on this board and start talking about Mayo and other such perversions when discussing the Food Of the Gods.

Knew the Offshore before Udom Patpong bought it for his latest squeeze, off Tony Kim, Stone Crow in those days. Made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Offshore as a Go Go Bar ! Oh my Buddha.

john

Edited by jonwilly

In the South we normally eat Tartar Sauce with our fish and Mayo' or Brown Sauce with our chips.

Sorry to disagree if you're talking about the average F&C shop, I've hardly seen anyone using mayo or brown sauce with chips. Mind you it could be a 'new thing' as I haven't been to a chippy for donkey's years.

For me in the south, Salt & Vinegar on chips is the only way to go.

Too many beers before you get to the chip shop so a blinkered view? Maybe you haven't been in the last ten years or so as my Grandchildren would die without large dollops of Mayo' on their chips. A lot of shops are now using 'French Fries' instead of the big fatty chips we used to have so we are following the continentals...without entering the dreaded Eurozone !

I visit at least once a year and my grandaughter always pops out to get them. Still same fat chips and never ever a sign of mayo from her, so I've never even thought about it. Of course we then put our own salt and malt vinegar on......never mayo on chips in house either.

Thanks for the info....the times they are a changing.

I visit at least once a year and my grandaughter always pops out to get them. Still same fat chips and never ever a sign of mayo from her, so I've never even thought about it. Of course we then put our own salt and malt vinegar on......never mayo on chips in house either.

Obviously old trainman is talking about a different part of the south to us ups and by the way you forgot to mention a wally with ya F&C, shouldn't be no problem in finding some of them in Chiang Mai 21.gif

The Offshore, Rays Paradise in The Big Mango.

Been a while since I have had a meal down there, Fish, Chips, Real Mushy Peas, not mashed peas as at Kelly's, took Ray Two years to find the correct type of Marrowfat pea.

Always bothers me when Sufferners cum on this board and start talking about Mayo and other such perversions when discussing the Food Of the Gods.

Knew the Offshore before Udom Patpong bought it for his latest squeeze, off Tony Kim, Stone Crow in those days. Made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Offshore as a Go Go Bar ! Oh my Buddha.

Seriously? When? And does it apply to the bar only, or the chips shop too?

T'was a Go Go Bar when Tony Kim owned it, and I think when Khun Patpong's girlfriend owned it.

She sold out to Ray and his Partner,only met him once, can't remember his name.

The unofficial name was The Drillers Arms, Ray was ex Saudi, ARAMCO and many/most of his patrons where from there.

Ray and wife Keng must be by far, the longest serving Proprietors in the Cowboy area.

john

Happy New Mia.

Had forgotten that until one young maiden in Bad Dog used it yesterday.

It is the American influence. They are just trying to help their gurmay less friends.

You mentioned in a closed thread that I seem to have a lot of experience with dead fish......I couldn't respond.

Not much experience, but I've certainly had more than my fair share of starfish in Thailand, over the years.wink.png

Edited by uptheos

Obviously old trainman is talking about a different part of the south to us ups and by the way you forgot to mention a wally with ya F&C, shouldn't be no problem in finding some of them in Chiang Mai 21.gif

Lord luv a duck how could I have forgotten the wally's, when I'm constantly reminded? wink.png

You mentioned in a closed thread that I seem to have a lot of experience with dead fish......I couldn't respond.

Not much experience, but I've certainly had more than my fair share of starfish in Thailand, over the years.wink.png

it's used in fish and chips. I thought it would be a nice idea to let all of the TV viewers in on the discussion not just the Promenade viewers. Obviously I was wrong. Carry on with the fish and chips.

it's used in fish and chips. I thought it would be a nice idea to let all of the TV viewers in on the discussion not just the Promenade viewers. Obviously I was wrong. Carry on with the fish and chips.

You can always start a new topic about 'fish 'n chips' but no need to add 'Promenada Resort Mall' in the header.

As a previous poster commented - this is (was) a topic about shops/malls, but as usual food topics always win the day .... rolleyes.gif

As a previous poster commented - this is (was) a topic about shops/malls, but as usual food topics always win the day .... rolleyes.gif

Isn't that the truth?

And for some reason Fish and Chips can get pretty heated.......maybe it's because we're landlocked.

The previous poster can always move the topic in a different direction if he/she wants.

As the OP on this thread that has taken a stupid twist to a fish and chip discussion, I feel a bit hyjacked. All I wanted to know was if anyone had any inside info on what the line up of shops was going to be....especially the supermarket and somewhere along the line we got into fish and chips.

for the record, I love fish and chips too, but let's get back to the OP, OK??

many fish and chip discussions on the western food forum.....

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 1

Agreed ... any more food discussion here will be removed without further notice. This topic reserved for news about shops and mall facilities.

Great......bring on all the news about shops and mall facilities.

Apologies for being one of the unmentionables.wai.gif